What's new

Match-up Discussion CptXecution's Sub-Zero MU Chart

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
And what reasoning do you have to back that up.
Sub's 2 is faster than every move he has but D1 and D3 and his wakeups are extremely punishable. It's hard for Ermac to get Sub off him once Sub is in there.

If sub gets the life lead.. what's Ermac gonna do? Forceballs are duckable. I believe teleport and ex teleport are beat by D4 (could be wrong). All he has is that levitate into the ass slam or teleport to confuse you.

The problem lies in when he has the life lead. Sub wins up close and can turtle pretty well with a life lead, Ermac wins from ranged with a life lead and his high damage will keep him in it up close if sub screws up.

5-5

This could be completely wrong... HENCE... IMO. haha

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Imo all the posts? lol

Ermac v Sub 5.5-4.5 as well. Force push does numbers on clone blockstrings, he can bait out clones and punish with iaB and force push. Ermac recovers well on projectile, enough to block a ice ball so you wont trade nearly as often. (ice ball travel fullscreen and projectile recovery are about the same). Basically Ermac has Sub beat long range. Up close....Sub's got faster strings and better mixups. Ermac has a good d3 and d1, but Sub's d4 is godlike. Ermac and Sub both have good AA's, neither should jump against each other. Sub has a better stagger string and better blockstrings. Blocked force push is a free slide. Up close Sub wins. Ermac punishes mistakes with huge combos and the F4 reset, but Sub can keep better pressure imo. Its a really close matchup, but i think theres advantage to Ermac.

And yes Sub_Crash4, i did read your posts in the Ermac discussion thread and i have considered what you said. There isnt a breaking strategy or tech that makes Ermac advantage over Sub, but its there.
Ermac can not just spit out projectiles. If I duck one and throw mine out... you can't throw another at any point or we will trade.
TKP is punished by slide everywhere but MAX range.
Once Sub knocks Ermac down... what does he do? I'm going to cross you up so that if you input a wakeup attack... it won't catch me. There is where Sub wins. I just need one knockdown, then you have to start guessing what i'm going to do ...

I will say this. Ermac has mixups with his throw that give Sub problems. His throw is the biggest tool he has outside of TKP to keep the situation in his favor. And of course... if Ermac does catch a combo.... half of Subs life is gone.

So yeah... both characters seem to have the ability to put the other in a guessing game. I don't think one has advantage over the other... if Ermac had a large hit box... he'd die quickly.

Just a rough brainstorm there.

LUCKY0346

AT Gaming
There is only one way you can get blown up and it has nothing to do with guessing. Yes deciding what your going to do when Kung lao teleports is a guess, but its a guess that works in Subzeros favor. First you have to remember that kung lao WANTS that delayed 3, because thats the one he gets a full combo from. All he gets from instant 3 is putting his boot in your face. So always start off by swinging for the fences with 2,2. His greediness for that full combo will instead get him full combo punished.

At some point he will tire of this and he will go to instant 3. Now even if you guess wrong here the worst your gonna eat is a boot to the face. You can block the follow up pressure afterwards. Without his pre patch low hat Kung Laos pressure isnt what it used to be. You may eat a throw here,but so what. What you really need to look out for is his crossovers. Its risky trying to NJP them because if you guess wrong and he doesnt jump, he spins and then its big trouble in little china, nevertheless sometimes you still have to take that chance. Lao has a natural mixup in his crossovers. If you stay crouch blocking to avoid the JK>teleport jail trap he can just do a JIP instead and he gets a full combo. If you high block to avoid getting JIPunched then he can do the JK>teleport jail. Its a big pain in the ass and honestly if I have a bar of meter I will usually just say fuck it and EX slide out of it all together. Whether he does JIK or JIP hes getting nailed. But I digress.

Getting back to punishing teleport basically you have one option that covers everyone of his teleport options except instant 3, which is 2,2. The only one 2,2 wont beat is instant 3. But thats ok because the worst you eat here is a boot to the face. Once he starts using instant 3 you can duck instant 3 and stand up and 2,1,2,ice blast him. So now you have a way to punish all his teleport options while not taking to much risk yourself.
The most important part of this is being able to visually recognize instant 3. This is the one place you can act wrong and get blown up if your not careful. Heres the scenario:
Kung Lao teleports, your read is that he will instant 3 so you duck and get ready to stand up and punish with 2,1,2. What you HAVE to watch for is to make sure you see that instant 3 come out. If you dont you MUST stay blocking. At this point delayed 3 will beat you if you try to stand up and punish and then you get full comboed. This is the hardest part of the mixup because you only have a split second to visually confirm whether instant 3 has come out or not. It will take some practice.
thank you.. still got a question tho..
isnt a 2 into iceblast better then 22 iceblast?

Dark_Rob

Noob
As a normal anti air,yes. But when punishing Kung Lao's teleport your going to get both hits anyway so you might as well take it since its more damage for you.

LUCKY0346

AT Gaming
As a normal anti air,yes. But when punishing Kung Lao's teleport your going to get both hits anyway so you might as well take it since its more damage for you.
okay yea i use it as anti air did not know the damage difference between 22 or just 1 2
cuz of the scaling etc thnx dawg helped me a lot for my next tournament in holland :D

well, whenever I see this tech I may change my opinion, by now I will keep the 4-6 vs mileena.

Death, can you tell me if the 4d punisher against the ex telekick is a delayed one? When I do d4 against the ex tele xx sais it whiffs, mileena seens to be too high in the air.

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
Ermac can not just spit out projectiles. If I duck one and throw mine out... you can't throw another at any point or we will trade.
TKP is punished by slide everywhere but MAX range.
Once Sub knocks Ermac down... what does he do? I'm going to cross you up so that if you input a wakeup attack... it won't catch me. There is where Sub wins. I just need one knockdown, then you have to start guessing what i'm going to do ...

I will say this. Ermac has mixups with his throw that give Sub problems. His throw is the biggest tool he has outside of TKP to keep the situation in his favor. And of course... if Ermac does catch a combo.... half of Subs life is gone.

So yeah... both characters seem to have the ability to put the other in a guessing game. I don't think one has advantage over the other... if Ermac had a large hit box... he'd die quickly.

Just a rough brainstorm there.
I'm very anxious to see you playing, man. Because by far you're the guy that I most agree with your knowledge around here.

If you're guessing/reading a jump and doing it little before your opponent jumps, I'd say 22~Ice Blast.

If you're doing it on reaction to a jump or let's say you got knock down and you're stading up and your opponent is cross jumping you go for 2~Ice Blast.

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
well, whenever I see this tech I may change my opinion, by now I will keep the 4-6 vs mileena.

Death, can you tell me if the 4d punisher against the ex telekick is a delayed one? When I do d4 against the ex tele xx sais it whiffs, mileena seens to be too high in the air.
D4~Enhanced Ice Blast? Must be done instantly on point. However if she throw her sais you can crouch it, then quickly stand and do 212~Ice Blast before she even touch the ground.

Maybe this helps: