What's new

Cost of attending MLG/EVO/Majors - Also tips/advice on how to save

Justice

Noob
Every time I see a "quit smoking" post it makes me light up. One thing that anti-smokers need to keep in mind (and the "Truth Commission" won't tell you this) is that smoking doesn't kill people. Irate smokers do. I consider myself a very conscientious smoker. I don't blow in peoples faces, stand downwind at bus stops, etc. I make every effort to respect people's choice to not smoke but do I get any of that same respect?

Back on topic, everyone needs to read, learn, live and love this thread. There is always ways to live like a king on a pauper's budget if you know what you're doing.

Every time I see a "quit smoking" post it makes me light up. One thing that anti-smokers need to keep in mind (and the "Truth Commission" won't tell you this) is that smoking doesn't kill people. Irate smokers do. I consider myself a very conscientious smoker. I don't blow in peoples faces, stand downwind at bus stops, etc. I make every effort to respect people's choice to not smoke but do I get any of that same respect?

Back on topic, everyone needs to read, learn, live and love this thread. There is always ways to live like a king on a pauper's budget if you know what you're doing.
Okay... Smoking kills people there's plenty of data to back that up. Second hand smoke contains harmful chemicals also plenty of data to back that up. While you're within your right to give zero shits about my respect for you I by no means have to respect you. Smoking is a disgusting habit plain and simple there are few people who disagree including most smokers. Some of the non health more aesthetic effects are often ignored by smokers because they simply don't notice them anymore. News flash if you are a smoker, your shit smells and in many cases it can be as bad that if you have visitors their shit will smell, it doesn't matter if you turn a fan on and blow it out the window you still wreak. And while I've heard and can accept the argument that marijuana smoke is actually pleasant smelling, I've never heard anyone who thinks cigarette smoke smells good.

All of that said, and a point I think you could have made that I would have agreed with is that being a smoker doesn't make you a bad person. It's often the case it's just a good person with a bad habit. And smoking is just one of many bad habits that people can have.

ECigs! Use them instead and you don't have to worry about offending the non smokers around you.

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
I would say something about smoking but I may qualify as an alcoholic and that leaves me little room to talk. Slowly stepping off of the sauce though because I want to be back in shape. I'm sure it's going to save me money too in the long run since if I take bars into account I probably spend 150 to 200 a month having good times I can't remember.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Okay... Smoking kills people there's plenty of data to back that up. Second hand smoke contains harmful chemicals also plenty of data to back that up. While you're within your right to give zero shits about my respect for you I by no means have to respect you. Smoking is a disgusting habit plain and simple there are few people who disagree including most smokers. Some of the non health more aesthetic effects are often ignored by smokers because they simply don't notice them anymore. News flash if you are a smoker, your shit smells and in many cases it can be as bad that if you have visitors their shit will smell, it doesn't matter if you turn a fan on and blow it out the window you still wreak. And while I've heard and can accept the argument that marijuana smoke is actually pleasant smelling, I've never heard anyone who thinks cigarette smoke smells good.

All of that said, and a point I think you could have made that I would have agreed with is that being a smoker doesn't make you a bad person. It's often the case it's just a good person with a bad habit. And smoking is just one of many bad habits that people can have.

ECigs! Use them instead and you don't have to worry about offending the non smokers around you.
Marijuana smoke smells just as bad IMO. Threw up the first time I was in a room full of it(beer smell didnt help either)

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
General Tips
  • Put Aside $40 a month in savings
  • Buy Flights 2 months in advance (no later than 30 days before departure)
Lol, great no-nonsense money advice, Pig! I'll start calling you the Dave Ramsey of the MK community from now on (if you don't know who Dave Ramsey is, use Google). Just one addition, if I may. If you have credit cards, take a pair of scissors, cut them all up, throw them away, and never look back. Credit cards are designed to take advantage of human weakness and, unless you have iron will and discipline, you will slip up and get in trouble with them sooner or later. And if you do have the iron will and discipline then the only thing you should ever get in debt for is a house, so either way, you don't need credit cards.

Other than that though, very good info for people who are serious about traveling to tourneys.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Heh, yup. Credit is a must. Such is the world. Sometimes I need to purchase things that I do not have the money for at the time. Luckily, I have a magic piece of plastic that makes this possible for me.
No, just no. This is a terrible advice. Credit is not a must, quite the opposite in fact. That's a myth that has been sold to the American public to keep us perpetually in debt. Just work hard, make smart decisions in life, don't spend more than you take in, put away some money in savings every month, and most importantly, If you don't have money for something, don't buy it. It's only common sense, but that seems to be in short supply these days.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
No, just no. This is a terrible advice. Credit is not a must, quite the opposite in fact. That's a myth that has been sold to the American public to keep us perpetually in debt. Just work hard, make smart decisions in life, don't spend more than you take in, put away some money in savings every month, and most importantly, If you don't have money for something, don't buy it. It's only common sense, but that seems to be in short supply these days.
I disagree. Lines of credit are an absolute must. I've had a credit card for ages and use it responsibly. I carry a zero balance. I'm not advocating running up gigantic unpayable tabs just because you have a card. I agree with you that spending yourself into debt is a good way to wreck your financial well being.

But it's insanely important to build up a good credit score for the big purchases in life. Not everyone has 15-20K in their bank account for a car, or 350K laying around to buy a new house. You need a line of credit for those things. I agree with all of your advice about spending responsibly and saving each month - it's how I manage my own finances. But I'd tell everyone to get a credit card and start putting everything on it. With all the travel rewards and cashback bonuses for money you're going to spend anyway (I've never once paid for my trip to Evo, all points), PLUS building up your credit score... I dunno, credit for the win imo. Again, just my personal two cents.