What's new

Cost of attending MLG/EVO/Majors - Also tips/advice on how to save

colt

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
for your first credit card I'd recommend getting any basic capitol one card. decent chance of getting approved when you have 0 credit (not bad credit).

additionally you should get an american express prepaid card. after having one of these and using it for a couple-few months (and having the basic capitol one card will give you some small positive credit history) they will offer you a regular american express card with a small credit limit. If you have a costco in your area, it's a decent deal to try and get the costco american express card at this time because the membership fee also covers the credit card fees.

Having just these 2 start cards will get you rolling and they will be increase the credit limit pretty frequently if you use them often and pay over the minimum amount each month.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Since when was this about saving lives and not about saving money?
You said "you can say that about any hobby" in regards to saving money. I'm giving you a legit reason WHY you should stop your smoking "hobby". (I think using the term hobby was wrong of me up there) It doesn't help anyone else and it certainly doesn't help you. The last time I checked a nicotine addiction isn't exactly something to brag about. Smoking is a big thing for a lot of people, and it costs A LOT of money. He threw that out there because investing in cigarettes is worse than investing in a car and is a common thing (in America).

I could tell people to stop buying $6-$7 cups of coffee from starbucks because its a rip of and caffeine is bad for you too. Or lose the smartphone and downgrade to a brick/non contract plan and pay $40 a month instead of $100. What more do you want?

But who are you to tell another to quit a hobby though? Health concerns aside, I think people should be free to do what they want with their money without being nagged.
Off topic:
I'm quite confused by this. You say you're against smoking and then try to call me out and stating the negative side effects that smoking brings. For someone who is "against" smoking, your version of being against it confuses me. Sitting on the sidelines and allowing people to continue their bad habits is why bad habits exist.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
You said "you can say that about any hobby" in regards to saving money. I'm giving you a legit reason WHY you should stop your smoking "hobby". (I think using the term hobby was wrong of me up there) It doesn't help anyone else and it certainly doesn't help you. The last time I checked a nicotine addiction isn't exactly something to brag about. Smoking is a big thing for a lot of people, and it costs A LOT of money. He threw that out there because investing in cigarettes is worse than investing in a car and is a common thing (in America).

I could tell people to stop buying $6-$7 cups of coffee from starbucks because its a rip of and caffeine is bad for you too. Or lose the smartphone and downgrade to a brick/non contract plan and pay $40 a month instead of $100. What more do you want?

Off topic:
I'm quite confused by this. You say you're against smoking and then try to call me out and stating the negative side effects that smoking brings. For someone who is "against" smoking, your version of being against it confuses me. Sitting on the sidelines and allowing people to continue their bad habits is why bad habits exist.
You're right you could replace smoking w your coffee purchases, usage of data w cellular services,gambling etc etc I just picked smoke ing cause it's IMO one of the worst to have and best to quit

AeroGrunt

Stay Puft
You're right you could replace smoking w your coffee purchases, usage of data w cellular services,gambling etc etc I just picked smoke ing cause it's IMO one of the worst to have and best to quit
When you play the lottery, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. But it's better than using drugs or alcohol because when you use drugs or alcohol, especially drugs, you always lose.
I swear to god if anyone gets this reference I will love you forever.

Pig Of The Hut

When you play the lottery, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. But it's better than using drugs or alcohol because when you use drugs or alcohol, especially drugs, you always lose.
I saw "American movie " at a film festival in atlanta at the TARA

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Besides money another reason someone wont want to come to a tournament is the fact that its almost always its the same people taking top 8 few fluctuations, and the average gamer will just think he will get destroyed and not have fun. Plus if you don't know anyone , you wouldn't have connections knowing where the casuals are happening ect....

I can't go to tournaments anymore cause my wife hates MK and hates when I play and said I can't go to any more tournys, plus im in school
I agree, same ppl in top 8 everytime. Gets boring as fuck real fast.

Pig Of The Hut

Still waiting on Coven lol

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook

Off topic:
1st part: "I could tell people to stop buying $6-$7 cups of coffee from starbucks because its a rip of and caffeine is bad for you too. Or lose the smartphone and downgrade to a brick/non contract plan and pay $40 a month instead of $100. What more do you want?" Exactly my point. Who is anyone to tell others how they spend their money?

2nd part: I'm not calling you out. When I said "who are you to tell someone how they spend their money" I meant in general. I could also tell you to stop playing video games because it's expensive and even more so to go to tournaments. I could also make a case by saying the bad effects of playing video games but why would you care what I think? I'm against smoking, yes. But why would other people care? I'm not exactly going from person to person confiscating their cigarettes and giving them a lecture on smoking.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Alas, changing this system is futile so you might as well reap what benefits you can right?
Heh, yup. Credit is a must. Such is the world. Sometimes I need to purchase things that I do not have the money for at the time. Luckily, I have a magic piece of plastic that makes this possible for me.

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
Lol Or you could quit cause it's expensive, smells and kills u

FTR I smoked heavy from age 15-21

Quit cold turkey - with determination it can be done
Interestingly enough I quit smoking a month ago because I hit some laced "Greenery" that sent me to the ER... Friday will be a whole month. Cheers to giving up smoke. Cost ALOT of money to keep up with that habit.

Bank of America left a massive bad taste in my mouth

Do U get a good interest rate w them??
Not surprised bank of america are a bunch of crooks. My interest rate on the card isn't good, but credit card interest is arbitrary to me I always pay it off within the grace period before interest gets applied to the balance, so I never pay interest. I recommend such a policy with all credit cards. My mortgage and car loans are another story I made sure to get good interest rates on those.

Speaking of which my home loan is through BoA (Originally Countrywide before BoA bought them out) and they have resold it to themselves like 3 times since I've had it, tell me that's not sketchy as hell.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
1st part: "I could tell people to stop buying $6-$7 cups of coffee from starbucks because its a rip of and caffeine is bad for you too. Or lose the smartphone and downgrade to a brick/non contract plan and pay $40 a month instead of $100. What more do you want?" Exactly my point. Who is anyone to tell others how they spend their money?

2nd part: I'm not calling you out. When I said "who are you to tell someone how they spend their money" I meant in general. I could also tell you to stop playing video games because it's expensive and even more so to go to tournaments. I could also make a case by saying the bad effects of playing video games but why would you care what I think? I'm against smoking, yes. But why would other people care? I'm not exactly going from person to person confiscating their cigarettes and giving them a lecture on smoking.
Maybe you should.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
Dear whoever bumped this: Thank you.
Also thank you Pig for writing it.
While I already do a lot of this, I had not thought about the credit card thing.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
If you smoke a pack of day thats $1825.00 a year.​
more like 3k if you live in ny/nj :/. shoutouts to the steam co for helping me quit providing me with the est vape flavors lol.

i would also like to add a few of my own personal tips. im a broke ass college student with no job and i still manage to travel out of NE a few times a year. this is what i do to help me with travel expenses
  • become more involved with the fgc as a whole than just the people that play your game. make some friends at events you travel to or that there are others traveling to. for me, it has opened up a lot of opportunities for places to stay and people to carpool with. even if they aren't from your area, they may be passing through your area and it wouldn't add too much travel time to their trip and its another person to chip in for gas, win/win for both parties. more importantly, places to stay is very important. if you become tight with people who live in the area of majors, sometimes you will be able to get housing for free! an atl soul calibur player shinji houses mad people every final round. there are people out there who will be willing to house you for free at their place as long as you arent king freeloader or a shady asshole.
  • the bibulus 5 dollar special from mcdonalds. 2 mcchickens, 2mcdoubles and a sweet tea. easily can last you 2 meals and is perfect for road tripping. but more specifically, eat cheap and try to get the most milage out of what food you buy. eat smaller portions and save food for later in the ride. i even condition myself up to 2 weeks before traveling to eat less. also, if you're into staying fit, you kinda gotta realize that you're going to have to hold that and get used to eating less and eating shitty food.
  • if you play stick, invest in a stick bag. believe me, dropping 40 bucks on a bag is way better than having to get new wires/parts because it got scuffed up while traveling. not only financially down the line, but it saves a lot of hassle. or just play pad because they arent mad expensive like hitboxes and sticks :joker:
  • for students, know your exam schedule and study coinciding your classes. some of you guys might be down to just hold that and take a shit grade but i was able to have 2 exams the week after going to final round 2013 and was able to kill it on both of them. of course, some of you guys would say fuck that school first which is totally reasonable but just know that it can be done.