What's new

Correctly testing Frame Gaps in IGAU using Training Mode

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Alright so as we all know, the training mode for this game is pretty much light years ahead of how MK9's was. It has a ton of options and abilities and all of us are still not using it to the fullest extent because of just how versatile it is. This thread is going to be a tutorial for how to test gaps in strings, gaps between jump ins and strings, etc. basically just a thread about testing and finding out the correct info on where to exploit your opponents if they are leaving gaps.

So ill start off with explaining what i mean by gaps or "Frame Gaps". These are points in a string or set of moves where a player has an option to interrupt. Now the tool for interrupting depends on the gap and how large or how many frames exist in the gap. The bigger the gap, the more options available for interruption.

Lets take Aquamans F13 for example. The string in its parts F1 is +3 on block and F13 together is 0 on block. This string should be 100% safe and easily usable. However, because of the speed of the second hit of F13 there is a gap in the string. Now most people have already figured out the gap in this case is MB B3 vulnerable or Super vulnerable meaning only armor will beat it. There are other instances where it is actually possible to interrupt gaps with fast moves (usually around 6-7 frames) but some gaps exist that allow for even easier punishing.

Here is the important part. If you want to test if something has any gap at all, just go into training mode and pick that character. Now what you want to do is once you are in training mode, set the other character (doesnt matter at all who it is) to a reversal attack. The reversal attack does not need to be fast it can be anything. Now to test if there is a gap all you have to do is do that string or sequence on the AI with reversal mode on. If there is any type of gap at all, the computer will attempt to reversal it no matter what. That is just the first part however. As i mentioned before, just because something has a gap you shouldnt stop there. Now you must focus on what kind of gap exists.

The type of gaps include gaps that are only able to be interrupted by supers, ones that can be armored (MB B/F3), and ones that can be interrupted simply with normals. Now what you will have to do is simply test what you can fit in the gap. Set the AI of the character with the gap to do that move upon you and see what you are able to fit in between. Try MB B/F3 first and go from there using fast normals after MB B/F3 and if fast normals work you can even test some slower standing normals. There is no need to test Super as anything with a gap can be interrupted by Super.

This is especially useful when you get to the higher level of interrupting which includes interrupting people for trying to land jump ins on you. People tend to get away with a lot here because in the MK days, jump in almost always guaranteed a string. That is not the case in this game. Depending on the jump in used and the string used the jump in could be air tight or could have massive frame gaps. Be sure to test them if you want to be able to stop some characters from harassing you all day from the skies.

Once you are able to do this, you will be able to find exploits that even you didnt know about your own character and that many will not know about theirs. Have fun making them salty for taking away something that they may love to abuse and may be getting away with without you knowing.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
there's weird moves like bane's b.23 that have a gap but can't be beat by anything except supers i think

even when Grundy/Bane have time to use armor they'll get stuffed, and so will parries, but i suspect the latter is just strange hit properties

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
there's weird moves like bane's b.23 that have a gap but can't be beat by anything except supers i think

even when Grundy/Bane have time to use armor they'll get stuffed, and so will parries, but i suspect the latter is just strange hit properties
Supers are just the best for interrupting due to their reversal properties and that they have quick activating armor. Backdashes also work on small gaps but can be less reliable.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Supers are just the best for interrupting due to their reversal properties and that they have quick activating armor. Backdashes also work on small gaps but can be less reliable.
Yeah, I was just commenting how some moves have weird properties that reversals don't work and you have to super or backdash out. I know Bane isn't the only one with a move like this but I can't remember who does. :(

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Yeah, I was just commenting how some moves have weird properties that reversals don't work and you have to super or backdash out. I know Bane isn't the only one with a move like this but I can't remember who does. :(
MMH's 112 and B13 are similar. Only Super or Backdash works.