What's new

Coronavirus (Covid-19) Discussion

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Apparently, some people are trying to abuse ADA and HIPAA regulations to get away without using face masks by flashing this card:

Here is some information in case anyone encounters such a person:
  1. No, HIPAA doesn't prohibit places from asking about a claimed medical condition. That only applies for doctors and insurance companies.
  2. HIPAA has some rather broad exemptions in the case of public health emergencies (such that both the President and the Secretary of DHHS have declared).
  3. The ADA only stipulates that "reasonable" accommodation be made, and does not assume all accommodations are in fact reasonable (for example, it would be unreasonable for someone with quadriplegia requiring an electric wheelchair to request boarding on a historic "dinner train" kitted out to conditions circa 1938 which cannot be retrofitted with modern train wheelchair lifts).
  4. The ADA also acknowledges there are some disabilities for which reasonable accommodations can't be done simultaneously (such as someone requiring a seeing-eye dog and someone with severe dog allergies, or...wait for it...some Karen who feels claustrophobic wearing a mask and someone with an immunodeficiency like lupus). Usually the ADA goes with "accommodate them separately".
  5. There is a very good legal argument that stores actually provide this accommodation to both groups--"elderly and people with immunodeficiencies" hours for people with conditions like lupus, and home delivery and curbside delivery services for people who can't be arsed to wear a mask.
  6. In cases where you are requesting ADA accommodations, a company CAN in fact ask limited questions about a disability for purposes of accommodation, especially if the person requesting an accommodation has specifically self-identified as having a disability. (The classical example being with service animals; a "service animal" is a dog or horse specifically trained to provide a service (guiding, alerting, retrieving for people with physical disabilities, seizure/PTSD/autism "alert and protect" service where the animal is trained to get its user somewhere sat down and Safe, etc.). Because of people abusing the concept of "support animals" to bring in an untrained yip-dog or exotic pets into the store*, now store-owners can ask "What service is this animal trained to perform?") Likewise, the store CAN offer a reasonable accommodation like curbside delivery.
  7. There is actually a specific exemption in the ADA that states no company is liable for a violation of the ADA for an action it's required to take by another law or regulation--and yes, this includes "mask orders" passed as part of public health regulations. There is also a very specific exemption in regards to control of infectious and communicable diseases, and a third exemption for any person whom can be considered a "direct threat"--that is, "significant risk of substantial harm to the health or safety of the individual or others that cannot be eliminated or reduced by reasonable accomodation" (note: Covid Karen refusing to wear a mask because Reasons would qualify; just as stores are not obligated to permit Psycho McStabby the ax murderer to go shopping with his personal Support Machete because of a dual diagnosis of psychotic disorder NOS and antisocial personality disorder, they're not required to allow a potential plaguebearer admittance, ADA or no).
*Often an overlapping set with the average Covid Karen refusing to wear a mask and making a bogus ADA complaint.
Here is footage of a Karen trying to use the disability argument to not wear a mask:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/glbmtk

E

Eldriken

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Definitely trying this. I hate when my glasses fog up. "FOG VISION ONLINE!"

THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO IMPROVE MY VISION, NOT IMPAIR IT. >=O >=O

Yeah...I've hated this for a long time.
I feel you it’s so annoying. Especially here in winter like I go outside and come back in and I can’t see shit.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
I feel like that's a big possibility. And because of the changing seasons, a lot of people have common colds so it's hard to tell. Do you go get tested and risk getting infected at the hospital? or do you ride it out and quarantine yourself?

I still don't see the reason they're reopening everything. it seems so dangerous and careless.
Here in GA, there’s drive through testing areas. The medical employees wear all the PPE, and you are required to wear them as well. You never have to get out of your vehicle. When I went, all I had to do was confirm who I was, drive up a little bit, then rolled down the window, and they performed the test on me. They stuck a long swab with a hook in the end in my nasal cavity, twisted it around to I assume “swab” the area, then pulled it out. It was extremely painful, but only lasted for about 15 seconds or so. Then, I was on my way. It was a very quick and convenient process. I got my results a few days later (which were negative). And this was all free.

So I would definitely recommend trying to find a place like this in your area. I wasn’t willing to go to a hospital to get tested, way too risky. So, very glad I had one of these testing sites in my area.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Here in GA, there’s drive through testing areas. The medical employees wear all the PPE, and you are required to wear them as well. You never have to get out of your vehicle. When I went, all I had to do was confirm who I was, drive up a little bit, then rolled down the window, and they performed the test on me. They stuck a long swab with a hook in the end in my nasal cavity, twisted it around to I assume “swab” the area, then pulled it out. It was extremely painful, but only lasted for about 15 seconds or so. Then, I was on my way. It was a very quick and convenient process. I got my results a few days later (which were negative). And this was all free.

So I would definitely recommend trying to find a place like this in your area. I wasn’t willing to go to a hospital to get tested, way too risky. So, very glad I had one of these testing sites in my area.
The only place here is the hospital and we have one. I live in a small town.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
The only place here is the hospital and we have one. I live in a small town.
Sorry to hear that. Have you researched it? Because the one I went to wasn’t easy to find. It wasn’t necessarily being advertised. I just knew a friend that knew someone who worked there. Regardless, good luck!

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Sorry to hear that. Have you researched it? Because the one I went to wasn’t easy to find. It wasn’t necessarily being advertised. I just knew a friend that knew someone who worked there. Regardless, good luck!
Yeah I want to, it’s just don’t want to risk getting anything since I’ll have to go through the ER. But I mean I’m fine so unless I got trouble breathing I’ll stay home.

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
When your community is unquarantined, DO NOT BE STUPID AND GO OUTSIDE AS IF IT WERE A NORMAL DAY
The Virus will just have a wave 2 if you do that
stay 6 feet for a few more weeks, do NOT go to restaurants and concerts and Moto-cross GP races or any thing with lots of people.
I REPEAT
DO NOT ACT LIKE IT IS A NORMAL DAY, BE PATIENT, WAIT ANOTHER WEEK OR TWO, THE VIRUS WILL HAVE A WAVE 2 BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE STUPID ENOUGH TO BELIEVE THE END OF THE QUARANTINE S THE END OF THE VIRUS
Honest to god, I don't trust people and i'm still gonna quarentine myself for another 2 months.

I feel you it’s so annoying. Especially here in winter like I go outside and come back in and I can’t see shit.
Oh God yeah, I hate that too.

The health care systems between countries is very different. Here in Canada, the system is Provincially run, it's not privatized like in the US. So all doctor's office, hospitals, etc. are run by and funded by the Provincial Government.

The Provincial Governments here, at least in both Quebec and Ontario, are doing testing through specific hospitals and clinics.

@Vslayer Here's the instructions from your Provincial government. If you have what you think are symptoms, why not call the number, talk with them, and see. It's not going to cost you anything, and will hopefully give you peace of mind instead.

So I had trouble getting to sleep last night, and in the middle of the night woke up and I was sweating. Not soaked or anything, but that was weird.

I've also been feeling a slight headache, and aches with minor chills today. No cough, breathing issues, or fever, though my temperature has risen by a degree Celsius from this morning to mid-afternoon.

I'm not going out anywhere for days, so I'll self monitor and if things linger for two or three days, or my temp gets worse/I develop a fever, I'll reach out to Telehealth Ontario and follow their instructions.

Hopefully I wake up after a good night's sleep tomorrow feeling much better.

Unrelated (I think), I started working from home again today, which went well.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Literally:
https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/giklhn https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/gi9nea https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus/comments/glzmj5
We're already seeing the consequences of the protests, and it's only going to get worse.

The most frustrating part is that they're not going to learn from this. They're just going to keep blaming vaccines, 5g, Hillary's emails, and Obama, they'll keep spreading the virus, and they'll prevent us from being able to reopen the economy until we're literally forced to start legally enforcing stay-at-home.

Last edited:

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
From NPR, lots of intentional misinformation out there:
https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/gnp68y
"We do know that it looks like it's a propaganda machine, and it definitely matches the Russian and Chinese playbooks, but it would take a tremendous amount of resources to substantiate that," said Kathleen Carley, a professor of computer science at Carnegie Mellon University, who is conducting a study into bot-generated coronavirus activity on Twitter that has yet to be published.

Researchers identified more than 100 false narratives about COVID-19 that are proliferating on Twitter by accounts controlled by bots.

Among the misinformation disseminated by bot accounts were tweets that conspiracy theories about hospitals being filled with mannequins, or tweets connected the spread of the coronavirus to 5G wireless towers, a notion that is patently untrue.

Such bogus ideas on the Internet have caused real-world harm. In England, dozens of wireless towers have been set on fire in acts officials believe have been fueled by false conspiracy theories linking the rollout of 5G technology to the coronavirus.

She offers this advice, though: look out for subtle typos, for tweets being sent out very quickly, or profile images and usernames that appear suspicious.

"Even if someone appears to be from your community, if you don't know them personally, take a closer look, and always go to authoritative or trusted sources for information," Carley said. "Just be very vigilant."

Last edited:
“VACCINE
OR NO VACCINE

WE’RE BACK!” Lmao what’s that movie with Luke Wilson in it? The one where everyone is stupid? I feel like we are living it right now lol.

Remember the plot of that movie was he hired a group of of the best available experts- the smartest people still alive- to give him advice that he would follow in order solve an environmental crisis.

So if anything, I really wish we had President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho at the wheel right now

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
From NPR, lot's of intentional misinformation out there:
https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/gnp68y
social media is a cesspit of lies? what a shocker. It absolutely baffles me how, particularly in America, there is such distrust of traditional news media, but these same people trust youtubers and twitter bots.

This is THE best time in history to be a corrupt corporation or movement. No one is sending BuzzFeed "journalists" to deep cover the white house or spend years researching child abuse in the church.

It is so depressing to me how there seems to be no effort to teach critical thinking to kids anymore. All these people that follow new media and the conspiracy people, are just being used. They are all sheep being taking for a ride like lambs to the slaughter.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
social media is a cesspit of lies? what a shocker. It absolutely baffles me how, particularly in America, there is such distrust of traditional news media, but these same people trust youtubers and twitter bots.

This is THE best time in history to be a corrupt corporation or movement. No one is sending BuzzFeed "journalists" to deep cover the white house or spend years researching child abuse in the church.

It is so depressing to me how there seems to be no effort to teach critical thinking to kids anymore. All these people that follow new media and the conspiracy people, are just being used. They are all sheep being taking for a ride like lambs to the slaughter.
It's not even that there's "no effort"; there is literally an effort not to teach them...

Texas GOP: "We oppose the teaching of higher order thinking skills, critical thinking skills and similar programs...[which] have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority."

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Texas GOP: "We oppose the teaching of higher order thinking skills, critical thinking skills and similar programs...[which] have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority."
it is just savagery. A dark age is coming. I just hope I am not alive to see it, nor are my kids.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Do you guys think it's fair to compare the numbers of nyc vs sweden? Theres a drastic difference in cases and deaths but both have a similar population.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Do you guys think it's fair to compare the numbers of nyc vs sweden? Theres a drastic difference in cases and deaths but both have a similar population.
That depends. Does Sweden have a functioning government? If so, it's no comparison...

For a more real answer, I think the difference in population density would be the crucial factor. I imagine Sweden is much less dense than NYC. NYC also has a shit load of people violating stay-at-home and social-distancing orders. Not sure what the situation is like in Sweden.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
That depends. Does Sweden have a functioning government? If so, it's no comparison...

For a more real answer, I think the difference in population density would be the crucial factor. I imagine Sweden is much less dense than NYC. NYC also has a shit load of people violating stay-at-home and social-distancing orders. Not sure what the situation is like in Sweden.
Yeah, Sweden's population is nowhere near the density of nyc. As far as their government is concerned, they've been catching a lot of heat for the way they've handled the outbreak.