What's new

Tech - Unstoppable Corner meterless armor breaking

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Hi y'all.

I've been looking into Unstoppable cause that armor break is too sexy to handle. I decided to make a short guide on how and what you can armor break in the corner and how to use this properly.

Here's a video for visual learners:

Here's the text TL;DR version (spare yourself 10 minutes of me rambling):

Basically your go to combos are [starter] njp jip 32 dd3. B122 gives you 21% and b3 20%. This is the easiest, most damaging and most consistent (in terms of height) combo I've found. This setup will let you d1 your opponent out of ANY WAKEUP EVEN SUPER ARMOR (get fucked Goro) except Reptile's slide.

In terms of frames you're at least +1 because you can beat Lao's spin and trade your 9f b3 with his 8 frame command grab. That being said those are tight af links. So what do you do if you doubt your execution or go up against faster moves?

You mod your combo to [starter] njp 32 dd3. This lowers your damage to 19% and 18% respectively, but this setup is AT LEAST +4 because you can b3 ANY WAKEUP and it will beat it clean. This also gives a lot more room to basically just mash out your d1.

And why would you d1? Because d1 recovers a lot faster that a whiffed b3(u1) meaning you can whiff it and still jail into b3 if they max delay their wakeup. And when they start respecting that you can go for a meaty command grab or whatever.

Last but not least: EX punishment allows you to just go "lol wut are frames" and punish any more from the njp jip combo. That being said, you're often better off saving the bar and losing that 1-2%. If you armor break with b3u1 you can get a full combo AND break their next armor with meterless punishment. Also from this setup you get a free rise everytime. Not that it really matters.

@YOMI REO
@GGA Jeremiah
@DDutchguy
@KeyserSoze
@Scott The Scot

@ others

Last edited:

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Watched the video, pretty good stuff, though the video could've been a bit shorter haha. In any case it's good to know 32 is a hard knockdown that leads to at least a safe way to set up the buff, not to mention that it's great that it can armor break any wakeup (besides invincible ones of course).

I wonder if backdash works in the corner against B31+3. If not, it's basically a guaranteed 17% because the grab will beat armored reversals. That also gives another mixup where you can do B31+3 or B3U1, with the former being backdashable while the latter is not.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Watched the video, pretty good stuff, though the video could've been a bit shorter haha. In any case it's good to know 32 is a hard knockdown that leads to at least a safe way to set up the buff, not to mention that it's great that it can armor break any wakeup (besides invincible ones of course).

I wonder if backdash works in the corner against B31+3. If not, it's basically a guaranteed 17% because the grab will beat armored reversals. That also gives another mixup where you can do B31+3 or B3U1, with the former being backdashable while the latter is not.
I think it works but njp or neutral duck are the best options. But yeah d1 into meaty b3 is probably your best option. B3d1 is pretty good as it beats low blocks and keeps them in the corner AND is -2 which gives you some room to ex command grab or whatever.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
@MsMiharo this is very awesome tech, and i thank you for sharing, I am very curious as to how this happens? I and friends thought maybe, frame advantage, hitting armor before it becomes active, Jason getting Armor with Punishment, but all those are proven false when test. Like frame advantage: if you do the same thing without punishment he is still at frame advantage does not work obviously, Hitting before the armor becomes active is basically the same thing as frame advantage same test, Jason getting armor with Punishment, can be proven wrong as well by simply using it to armor a normal wakeup.

Does he get a temporary Invulnerability at startup of Punishment? If you know or have an idea please share because i we would like to know. Unstoppable has been my favorite version of Jason just because of the revive. this makes it 100x's better :)

even though i see its not always 100% viable i have used the following setups midscreen on Goro and many others and they work:

F44 - Punishment D1/B3
F3 - Punishment B3
32 - Punishment D1/B3

all of these have worked successfully midscreen but 32 xx Punishment is the hardest to pull off midscreen cuz the High starter is easily low profiled.

The one thing I want to know is how it works? why does it break armor?

E

Eldriken

@MsMiharo this is very awesome tech, and i thank you for sharing, I am very curious as to how this happens? I and friends thought maybe, frame advantage, hitting armor before it becomes active, Jason getting Armor with Punishment, but all those are proven false when test. Like frame advantage: if you do the same thing without punishment he is still at frame advantage does not work obviously, Hitting before the armor becomes active is basically the same thing as frame advantage same test, Jason getting armor with Punishment, can be proven wrong as well by simply using it to armor a normal wakeup.

Does he get a temporary Invulnerability at startup of Punishment? If you know or have an idea please share because i we would like to know. Unstoppable has been my favorite version of Jason just because of the revive. this makes it 100x's better :)

even though i see its not always 100% viable i have used the following setups midscreen on Goro and many others and they work:

F44 - Punishment D1/B3
F3 - Punishment B3
32 - Punishment D1/B3

all of these have worked successfully midscreen but 32 xx Punishment is the hardest to pull off midscreen cuz the High starter is easily low profiled.

The one thing I want to know is how it works? why does it break armor?
Why does what break armor? Punishment? If so, it's one of the buffs it received. It's like Superman's trait from Injustice. It breaks any kind of armor (X-Ray, tank armor, etc) and increases your damage output.

MadeOfMetal

Why does what break armor? Punishment? If so, it's one of the buffs it received. It's like Superman's trait from Injustice. It breaks any kind of armor (X-Ray, tank armor, etc) and increases your damage output.
yeah i know it does and appreciate your reply but was looking more so for the cause.

And yes I'm referring to:

Punishment together with either: D1, B122, B3D1, B3U1, B3-2+4, D3. After setting it up with either: Combo ending in 32 xx Punishment/ F44 xx Punishment, F3 then Punishment, Standing F3 xx Punishment.

you get the idea. just wanna know how it works, is it
Invulnerability or weird Anti Armor. its weird cuz it even breaks Xray/triple hit Armor. either way i love it, just want to know why its doing this if it is at all possible for anyone to answer this question.

Last edited:

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I don't understand the question, sorry I'm really tired. But basically different enders and EX/non-EX punishment gives different frame advantage meaning you can meaty them out of armor (or you can't depending on what you choose)

E

Eldriken

yeah i know it does and appreciate your reply but was looking more so for the cause.

And yes I'm referring to:

Punishment together with either: D1, B122, B3D1, B3U1, B3-2+4, D3. After setting it up with either: Combo ending in 32 xx Punishment/ F44 xx Punishment, F3 then Punishment, Standing F3 xx Punishment.

you get the idea. just wanna know how it works, is it
Invulnerability or weird Anti Armor. its weird cuz it even breaks Xray/triple hit Armor. either way i love it, just want to know why its doing this if it is at all possible for anyone to answer this question.
Why is it weird that it breaks X-Ray armor or tank (multiple hits) armor? It's doing what it's supposed to do. How many hits it has or what type of armor it is is irrelevant.

Like MsMiharo, I don't exactly understand what you're trying to ask.

MadeOfMetal

Why is it weird that it breaks X-Ray armor or tank (multiple hits) armor? It's doing what it's supposed to do. How many hits it has or what type of armor it is is irrelevant.

Like MsMiharo, I don't exactly understand what you're trying to ask.
seriously? i clearly stated i like that it does it, somehow a simple question turned into an argument, i was simply curious as to how it works, as noone seems to know. and as for this is how its supposed to work id like to think that is the case, like i said before i love it. but in game description it does not state this function in the movelist under Punishment. but i guess nevermind since no one seems to know how ill just stay happy. thanks for the replies anyways. allthough it could be the actual function of the Punishment, but NRS has a bad habit of under explaining moves in the Move List.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
seriously? i clearly stated i like that it does it, somehow a simple question turned into an argument, i was simply curious as to how it works, as noone seems to know. and as for this is how its supposed to work id like to think that is the case, like i said before i love it. but in game description it does not state this function in the movelist under Punishment. but i guess nevermind since no one seems to know how ill just stay happy. thanks for the replies anyways. allthough it could be the actual function of the Punishment, but NRS has a bad habit of under explaining moves in the Move List.
It's wasn't always like this. The move was recently buffed to give it the armour breaking property but NRS must not have updated the move description for whatever reason.

E

Eldriken

No one is arguing anything, man. Wtf?

You weren't very clear as to why you didn't understand the properties of Punishment. Had you opted to do that, we'd have been able to answer accordingly.

I also specified in an earlier post that it received a buff that caused it to break armor.

MadeOfMetal

It's wasn't always like this. The move was recently buffed to give it the armour breaking property but NRS must not have updated the move description for whatever reason.
So this wasn't there on the first patch to Unstoppable? Interesting, that does explain a lot. So technically one can call it an Anti Wake-up Buff or Invulnerability almost like Cassie's Nut-punch but on steroids. I'm glad to hear that it is definitely intended, this way no one dare complain about it:) TY for your reply.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
so this wasn't there on the first patch to Unstoppable? interesting. that does explain a lot. So technically one can call it an Anti Wake-up Buff or Invulnerability almost like Cassie's Nut-punch but on steroids. I'm glad to hear that it is definitely intended. This way no-one dare complain about it:) TY for your reply.
The armour breaking buff came with the XL patch and is 100% intentional - they showcased the new property in the stream that NRS did. It's more of an Anti-Armour buff but yeah it just so happens that pretty much every wakeup except a couple need armour to be useful. It's not like Cassie's Nutpunch at all, there is no invincibility. All it does is allow Jason to break armour with any of his moves when he has the special move activated.

MadeOfMetal

The armour breaking buff came with the XL patch and is 100% intentional - they showcased the new property in the stream that NRS did. It's more of an Anti-Armour buff but yeah it just so happens that pretty much every wakeup except a couple need armour to be useful. It's not like Cassie's Nutpunch at all, there is no invincibility. All it does is allow Jason to break armour with any of his moves when he has the special move activated.
what i was seeing was it inturupts techroll/Armor/Xray/Backdash in corner and if you D1 then B3 xx whatev it stuffs delayedWU. i guess Invulnerability is a poor choice in words but really what do we call it except Buff for lack of a better term. I think "Buff on Steroids" should stick ;)

I guess "impregnable" and "invulnerable" come to mind, when used correctly in the corner he truly is Unstoppable ;) But hey just saying It is Awesome, and i was just curious as to how it works. im glad to know that its 100% Intentional. This way no one can bitch about it.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
It allows him to break armor without having to BREAK it (ie hit once to break it then hit again to hit them out of it). In other words, rather than breaking armor it allows him to IGNORE armor.

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
Madeofmetal the GOAT poster. It doesn't give jason invulnerability or anything like that, but when his attacks hit the startup frames of an armored move which would normally absorb his attack, it instead cancels out the armor as if it had none. This means he can still get hit by an armored move if he doesn't beat it on startup with a normal or something.