What's new

Cooking With Baraka - The Berserker Baraka Guide

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile

The link leads to a video with the same exact information, though this may be a bit more detailed.

The first 45 seconds are all memes and hilarious. Check it out!

Berserker Baraka
Why Me?
At the time I picked up this variation it was the least represented of Baraka's Variations. Now that I've hit 1k RANKED matches played with Berserker I figured it's guide time. There's a small amount of tech and guides available on YouTube but they have misinformation in them and I feel like it's more honorable to set the record straight with my own guide rather than nitpick at each video maker who had good intentions.

Overview
Baraka is a footsie/neutral character. Berserker is his unbreakable and anti-flawless blocking variation. You'll have damage between Bone Picker and Marauder and gain some mixups to use against particularly defensive opponents. This variation has access to 6 Krushing blows and utilizing every single krushing blow in every match is paramount to maximize your damage and win against higher tier kharacters. You lack Marauders combo extender "Gutted" and Bone Picker's "Blood lounge" and "Spine Burst". In return for your lost combo potential and lack of tick throws/command grabs you'll be making damage stick when you hit your opponent and preventing them from escaping pressure, once it's in.

Strengths
A.) A variety of Krushing blows that have practicalities.
B.) Chip damage that is good for sealing out close rounds
C.) An unfamiliar matchup for opponents that they will have to adapt to and fight against their muscle memory to defeat.

Weaknesses
A.) Baraka can be zoned out very efficiently
B.) This variation requires you to fight for damage, particularly when compared to the upper tiers of kharacters.
C.) A competent defender can prevent significant damage

Basic Attacks

1 - This is your go to close range punisher. Its a 7 frame high attack that goes into a three hit string. This can be jailed off of your d1 and d3.

D1 - Baraka's mid poke. It's not bad but it's not good as v1's variation specific poke. If you've ever touched Marauder you'll be missing the extra range and safety. Baraka's D1 is also 7 frames and not lacking. However, it's overshadowed by the d3 which is better in almost every situation.

2 - A useless first hit of an impractical two hit string. If you see this input come out it's most likely because of an input error. It's range is abysmal and it's hitbox is inconsistent. Non-staggerable because on hit the opponent stumbles away to an inconvenient distance.

B2 - This is an overhead leaping splat. It hits at about jumping distance, just beyond sweep distance. It can leap over a low attack or low projectile and in the event of being blocked leaves you at -4. This is a great move to help you get in on an opponent and one of your ways to make the opponent block high. Use this inside of it's maximum range to mix the opponent between this and your B4 sweeping low.

F2 - The first hit of a major pressure string. It's bad on block, forfeiting your entire turn, however when used in it's string it can be used to pressure the opponent into making mistakes and then used to capitalize on those mistakes. This attack is a high.

D2 - Baraka's uppercut. This is a great anti air and can be used to hit 25% meterless if hit at the peak of the opponent's jumping arc. This same combo can be used to swap positions in the corner or push the opponent to the corner. The pushback on d2 can be used to reset neutral, though leaving you very negative. This KB leads to our second largest combo damage.

3 - Useless button without a string. Not even used in combos or to anti air. Seeing this button come out is because of an input error absolutely. At max range it can be canceled into leg kebob for a cheeky check, but that'll never happen and you'd be placed in a coffin for trying, so don't.

B3 - your short range low starter. This is also a key part of our offense primarily in the corner. It's a great stagger and one of our few ways to check ducking opponents. I personally use it to interrupt getups. It's 9 frames in startup and sort of stubby. Another part of our pressure that is irreplacable.

D3 - Baraka's low poke. Very useful. It comes out in 7 frames and has 9 more plus frames on hit than our D1. On hit you can enforce pressure. Your high starters will all jail. I like to special cancel this into chop chop blades for a gimmicky check against mashers who can't wait to return your shin kick.

4 - A piece of your max damage corner combos and KB combos. Outside of that, it's +4 frames on block which is considerable. It's max range is similar to your f4. and can be used with caution for staggering.

B4 - Sweep. We have a good ranged sweep that is only -2 on block. At maximum range it can be blended well with F2. This is a great tool to check opponents who may be expecting a b2. I try to avoid using it in this variation because I want to catch my opponent stand blocking at an inopportune time, but it's great for getting in and many opponents try to take large returns on your package. Make sure to follow up with a max range F2 or D3 up close.

D4 - Baraka's longer ranged low poke. It's a key portion of our pressure because it's +1 on block. On block or hit we maintain our pressure with this move. It's also good for canceling. Sometimes a d4 into blade charge will trigger a krushing blow by a late blocking opponent.

F4 - Our advancing punisher. Connects to our most infamous KB. Outside of punishes it may be used to close some distance. It's -2 on block, so it can be used as a stagger when our opponent is expecting the full string or a special cancel. This is Baraka's most common match starter. It leads to our highest damage combo.

Forward throw and back throw - both toss our opponent out of our range but is vital for our KB damage. This can be used after staggers to make the opponent nervous or anxious on the hit vs throw mixup.

Ji1 - This is your normal jump in punch. It doesn't connect to string optimally but is very easy to do. If you're a beginner use this as your JIP. Otherwise it's inferior to JI2 in all ways except ease.

Ji2 - This slash can be used low to the ground to optimize strings and makes for an anti air tool that is very formidable. This is an all around better jump in but it takes practice and timing to get the work out of it.

Ji3/4 - a very strong JIK that can be option selected to follow up with a short combo. We use this in one instance of the corner as well as some plus frame pressure. Otherwise it's not incredibly utilized with my style of play.

Hop 1/2- This is preferable in my experience to Hop 3/4

Hop 3/4 - A down thrusting kick to counterstrike pokes and provide oki.

Getup/Flawless block

U3 - An armored check to catch the opponent pressing buttons and give you your turn back. It's got solid range and can clip opponents that jump with their legs hanging down.

U2
- A high stretching jab used to catch opponents jumping in on you or in startup frames. It can be used in short combos to push the opponent into a desired position. (F21 into punchwalk for corner push, F21 into chop chop blades if you're afraid of the opponent outranging you) and F21 leg kebob if you caught the opponent low in the juggle)

Strings

11 - With two taps we're negative 2 on block. This can be used to institute respectable pressure. Great off of a jump in and great for beginning throw and stagger pressure. Leg kebob will KB off of this string.

112 - The last hit of this string has nice reach and will hit an opponent expecting the 11 stagger. It can be hit confirmed into any of your special moves to suit your playstyle and need.

12 - A string useful for the fact that the next hit has a gap and is an overhead. Stop here and begin your B3 low starter to catch an opponent expecting the overhead.

- Your short range KB punisher. Outside of the KB it can be useful because the last hit is an overhead. You may end this string in Leg kebob. Though it is a mixup, it doesn't lead into KB or significant damage. It will however, leave you with +4 plus frames on hit.

F21
- A staggerable string that is negative 8 on block. You should lose your turn on block, however you often wont because this range is optimal for Baraka. This range is good for all your tools. This string is great for special move cancels. Despite how bad this looks on paper (or on screen) it is far better than it would seem in practice, even at demi-god. Leg kebob will KB off of this string. Use this string and punchwalk to shimmy your opponent into the corner.

F212 - There's a gap between the 2nd and third hit. This string on block is plus one and holds the opponent at an optimal range for checks. The 3rd hit is flawless blockable and punishable from it. If the opponent likes to flawless block cancel your string after the first two hits into blade charge to hopefully trigger the krushing blow and to catch the opponent.

2(grab) - A string that gives you 28 plus frames but sends the opponent full screen where you can only hope to spark them. Not particularly useful, but +1 on block.

B31
- Our low starter's 2nd hit string. It can be stopped before the last hit, which would be an overhead and restarted to hopefully catch a stand blocking opponent.

B312- A low starter that ends in an overhead. We use this string to measure time after we splat our opponent in the corner, as our low starter, to catch people trying to get up, and as a stutter pressure. Leg kebob DOES NOT KB here.

F44 - this is our full extension of our KB distance punisher. After the first use it may be used when our other strings don't have the distance to punish. At that point we will f4 punch walk for corner push. F4 chop chop for chip and maximum damage, or F4 leg kabob to get a cheeky +4 advantage over our opponent.

Specials

BF2 - Blade charge is used mostly for reversal punishes that we would otherwise not be able to punish. The one I do the most is scorpions chip special move. It is also our armor breaker and may see use after any KB scene. Its a quick check, but can be full combo punished on block so use it sparingly.

BF3 - Baraka's punchwalk. It pushes the opponent to the corner and does significant damage. The window to enhance is long and on enhance it'll leave you only -3 and have an extra hit to the end of the punch walk that breaks armor. Unenhanced you are full combo punishable. This and sparks is where the majority of your meter will be spent.

DB3 - Chop Chop blades. This is our chip special but also holds the opponent close once they fall. It does better damage than our other specials at the cost of not working your opponent towards the corner. This is double burnable for a bit of extra damage. This is only worthwhile if it's the difference between a round or a match win.

DB4 - flag. Increases your damage. Only useful in two instances. One is you hit someone with the leg Kebob KB and you need 2% extra damage out of the bleed effect. The other is 2 grab which gives you 28 plus frames. Enough to safely plant your flag. This is only really useful if you plan on sparking your opponent to death. This special move sometimes comes out when you've been neutral ducking and mean to suddenly sweep the opponent.

DB1 - Sparks. This is a fast high projectile that can shutdown a few members of the cast. You can end strings on hit confirm to give yourself some plus frames, or end strings on block to give you push back and prevent yourself from being pressured or punished. I dont use sparks for this reason too often, relying mostly on my Berserker specific specials.

Krushing Blows

KBs are VITAL to getting your opponents health bar red. Try to setup for each of these and cash out as soon as possible.

F44. This is many Baraka's opening move and understandably so. It's not punishable and on hit gives you both corner push and damage. This is our optimal combo for our FB. Otherwise any of our special moves except for sparks connects after it.

122. Your short range punisher ends in a pop up. Opponents frequently break here so consider a blade charge to get a payout if they do drop out.

Throw (F and B) - We stagger into throw to open our opponents and because if they fail a throw escape our next throw will hit for 31%. Unfortunately the throw krushing blow only triggers once whether it is forwards or backwards.

BF2. This Krushing blows if it breaks armor which happens often enough, or if the opponent blocks late. The blocking late happens if they were trying to flawless block and instead you ended your string with this.

D2.
Your highest damage Krushing blow. Make them regret trying to throw you.

BF4 - Only KB if the opponent is blocking high and not in block stun. This means you MUST hit it raw, after 11 or after F21.

Optimization

Midscreen.

122 KB JIP 1 112 Punch walk ~36% with corner push. Can be enhanced if it was almost lethal for the finishing blow.

F44. Blade charge if your predict a break away. You lose 5% and potentially gain ~20%. Or punch walk for the corner push and 32%

D2 KB JIP2 F21 Punch walk. ~36%

Anti airing - D2 F21. Punch walk. Can also f4 chop chop to hold them close.

Corner.
The corner is where Berserker Baraka explodes with pressure and smothers the opponent. My optimal combos will lose 1-3 percent potential damage in favor of restands which are +5 with leg Kebob restanding a juggled opponent.

122 KB. 4. 4. Kebob. (Online forsake the second 4 for a 112 leg Kebob)
D2. KB. 4. 4. Kebob.(Online forsake the second 4 for a 112 leg Kebob)

F44 In the corner you can end with kebob but you lose significant damage. As such I usually punch walk but a chop chop blade is also respectable if you prefer it's okizimi.

JIK (Late) d1, d1, d1, 112 leg Kebob. 24% and +5.

- Your corner pressure is going to be about plus frames. High damage. and throws. Since Baraka doesn't cause many breakaways in this variation many people will be spending their defensive bars on rolls, interactables, and getups. Use throws to activate your KB, encourage them to try to inappropriately poke, and crush their rolls. Baiting and punishing is a big part of hitting your opponent, because you lack mixup options.

-When I end in punch walk I know that between the 2nd and 3rd hit of b312 they will naturally stand. As such I'll use this string to time my movements and interrupt their getups.

-Baraka's jump pulls his legs to his chest making some characters unable to anti air him from here (ex: scorpion) Notice these matchups and use it. Not only will it punish any anti air attempts but it'll also handle roll aways and some getups.

-Use b31 then stop. Restart your string with b3. It'll interrupt U2s or any poke they may attempt. If you're worried about them trying something crazy this is a good solution. It's also a pseudo mixup for slow reacting players expecting you to end the string.

-Another option is to b3. Backdash. Baraka's backdash isn't legendary but you can punish some players getup options or may catch them trying to jump over your head. If you do, make them pay with a d2 conversion.

Gameplan
My strategy with Berserker is to pin an opponent down into the corner. Once I do the match is mine. Early in the match I'll be trying to use punchwalks to shimmy the opponent and myself towards the corner. Within range of the corner we can easily switch places with the opponent to keep their back to the wall and make them respect the Tarkatan race. I'll make every attempt to keep my turn and do my best to not do anything that will cost it. -3 or less is fine. Often early in the match I'll go for d3s after a slightly negative basic attack or string to make sure they respect Baraka's buttons. When they begin respecting our buttons back up and pressure with your longer ranged buttons. Make every effort to scare the opponent away from counter poking, then make them afraid to hold blocking from your throws and your staggers.

DO NOT forget a blocked punch walk needs to be enhanced to prevent a full combo punish. The push back often opens people up to a quick check (blade charge) or can be perfect spacing to backdash and punish their attempt to punish you. Punishception. Baraka has many highs so make sure you implement hop attacks. Neutral jumps. B2. B4. F4 and B3.

Your stuttering moves are f21 (sparingly) 11, 12, B3, B31, 4, D4 and D3.​
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are ways to beat Berserkers offense but I am not MK Tom Brady and I will not teach you how to defeat my character. Berserker will never be top tier. He lacks mobility, damage, and ways to open defensive characters. That's okay. In the meantime I'll enjoy my spot as the best (player) of the worst (variation).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apologies that the ending is significantly more rushed and less thorough than the beginning. I'll come back and pretty it up some after work, I've been typing this at lunch and I've run out of time.

Edit: Polished the layout to clean it up and make it less offensive to the eye, meanwhile fixed grammar and spelling issues I had previously missed.

Last edited:

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I've been wanting to pick him up for a while but I didn't know which variation I wanted to try. I think I'll start with this one, thanks for all the great info. I watched the video, good stuff man.

Syzoth

I've been wanting to pick him up for a while but I didn't know which variation I wanted to try. I think I'll start with this one, thanks for all the great info. I watched the video, good stuff man.
Thanks for the kind words brother. Marauder and Bone picker have their place too but there's enough tech out there already found.

Checked out your channel as well, Hella consistency. Keep up those gains.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Thanks for the kind words brother. Marauder and Bone picker have their place too but there's enough tech out there already found.

Checked out your channel as well, Hella consistency. Keep up those gains.
I think Marauder is fun at first cause of the combos but it's all the same as far as optimal goes, and gets boring to play IMO. I like gimmicky variations better. I play HB too and even though it was low damage it's hella fun to play.

Ahahah thanks! Tried to do general gaming stuff, but people wanna see MK so I'll do MK.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
@Syzoth Dude, this is great. Thank you. What matchups (if any) do you think Berserker is a better choice than Maurader.
Berserker is a better choice over maurader most of the time my number wise imo

Its a shame ex beserkerer so easily flawless blocked and opponent doesn't have to use recourses to punish it while baraka just burned a bar and it's not a guess situation between ex and normal like for example of shangs f2string enders.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
This is one of the most fun character variations in the game. Once they breakaway and can't flawless block, the corner carry and chip damage off baraka barrage is nuts.

Syzoth

@Syzoth Dude, this is great. Thank you. What matchups (if any) do you think Berserker is a better choice than Maurader.
This may make me sound like a quack, but in FT3, FT5, and FT10 I'll often change Baraka's variation based on the player rather than the character. If my opponent breaks away constantly I like to switch to Berserker, if I can't open them up from Marauder I'll use Berserker or Bone Picker.

But to answer your question I LOVE Berserker Baraka vs Searing Rage scorpion. Every single death spin you can reversal punish with blade charge. Alot of his punishable on block strings are point blank so you can consistently hit your Punish KBs. In the corner he can't wake up D2 to anti air a neutral jump, giving you a full combo if they tried. It's a matchup I probably win 80-85% of the time. I also prefer Berserker against Liu Kang, Jax, Nightwolf, other Barakas, Raiden, Kano, and Sheeva. Just please don't ask why because I don't think I could articulate it well. It's more of a feel than it is a science to these characters. I default to Berserker Baraka, so someone who plays a more even spread of his variations could probably do a matchup guide better justice.

Times I switch off of Berserker to Bone Picker:
1.) If the opponent seems to block everything
2.) Player is a jumping bean I can't seem to punish

Times I switch to Marauder:
1.) I seem to consistently whiff punish or kounter the opponent
2.) The opponent outranges me and I need the additional range of the variation specific pokes

Times I switch off of Baraka:
Jade, Skarlet, Shang Tsung, Jacqui Briggs, Kitana, Shao Kahn, Kotal Kahn, Sindel, RoboCop.
This likely seems like alot. But Baraka can't wavedash and seems to be a victim to zoners, enough so that I'll play a secondary character.
Also, some opponents with greater range seem to keep me out indefinitely where I can't play my game but they can play theirs. This may be a case of my not understanding the matchup too well but regardless it's enough to make me try a different kit if I lose in KL.

Hope this was sufficient to answer your question, sorry if it was more than you cared to know. I tend to err on the side of saying too much rather than too little.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I started messing around with him yesterday, played some towers to get used to his buttons. I can't wait to try him out against other players. I really like this variation.

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
One understated thing that I like about Berserker is the variation's ability to easily switch sides. With meter, both MB Serker and MB Leg Kabob can side-switch. If you find yourself nearing the corner and manage to land a F4 or a F21, you can side switch with either move to put yourself in better offensive positioning. Granted, you'd still have to predict your opponent trying to wakeup roll, particularly if you manage to corner them on a side switch, but Berserker's ability to do that I think is a great thing!

Syzoth

One understated thing that I like about Berserker is the variation's ability to easily switch sides. With meter, both MB Serker and MB Leg Kabob can side-switch. If you find yourself nearing the corner and manage to land a F4 or a F21, you can side switch with either move to put yourself in better offensive positioning. Granted, you'd still have to predict your opponent trying to wakeup roll, particularly if you manage to corner them on a side switch, but Berserker's ability to do that I think is a great thing!
Absolutely! You can also side switch meterlessly with blade charge and (obviously) throws. I've had people give me some nice quitalities when they finally escape the corner and I toss them right back where they belong.

I don't usually leg Kebob enhance specifically for the change, because I can reposition in other ways and I like Kebob for it's plus frames. But if the opponent is a defensive Titan, b31 leg Kebob or 12 leg Kebob is particularly useful to enhance and side switch.

skahwt

Noob
Finally tried out Berserker (I’m usually a Marauder player) and I love it. He reminds me a little bit of Doomsday from Injustice. Low combo potential but hits like a truck and is a magnet for hate mail and rage quits. Feels good.

Syzoth

Finally tried out Berserker (I’m usually a Marauder player) and I love it. He reminds me a little bit of Doomsday from Injustice. Low combo potential but hits like a truck and is a magnet for hate mail and rage quits. Feels good.
I'm not the best wordsmith so I may not be painting the prettiest picture with this guide, but I can assure you that Berserker has his place in matchups. I play all 3 variations (and a flag varient custom, it's pretty bad honestly but has the best brutality in the game IMO) BZ is my default go to whereas most people stick to Marauder.

Once you get his pressure down I think you'll begin favoring it in specific matchups. Cheers to any Berserker players.

I've also noticed an increase in salt when i beat people with V3. I get called gimmicky a lot because I'm poking into bf3, which blows up mashers. I try to not let it bother me tho.

I also think V3 is the go to variation, which is funny cause when it first came out I hated it. But i was viewing its play style thru a V1 lens (as in a lower damaging punish variation). Shout out to @Espio who called it good from day 1. I need to reevaluate V2 tho, after seeing Bio play it.

Fantastic guide by the way.

skahwt

Noob
I’ve switched from Marauder to Berserker for this Kombat League and I’m loving it. I realized I never use chop chop anymore. What utility, if any, does chop chop have in V3 and when do you use it instead of another special move?

Pyrosis

Gentlemen, behold! My opinion!
I’ve switched from Marauder to Berserker for this Kombat League and I’m loving it. I realized I never use chop chop anymore. What utility, if any, does chop chop have in V3 and when do you use it instead of another special move?

It's a really good combo ender. And one of the best moves in the game for finishing out an opponent depending on the chip damage negating thing. Sometimes you can blow up people mashing pokes with poke into chop chop, but that's really just a noob trap.

F4 chop chop vs a knocked down opponent is always good if you are unsure if they're gonna press buttons or yolo jump on wakeup IMO, especially in the corner. And if they just block i stop chop chopping (lol) early and rarely get punished. I like this option better than F4 bf3 because I don't have to spend meter to make it safe if they just block. Or they can jump and then break away making bf3 whiff and possibly getting me full combo punished.

Its also good for corner bnb's when you just want the damage or the kill and don't need the restand.

skahwt

Noob
I still think Marauder just does too much damage not to be his best Variation
The damage is why I stuck with Marauder for so long, but I think Beserker is superior now that I’ve given it a fair shot. Marauder struggles more to open opponents up and has no armor breaker, so while it gets less damage, I like that Berserker is unbreakable and has more mixup options.

Berserker’s corner carry, side switching, and corner game are huge and I feel more than make up for the reduction in damage. And while I feel that no Baraka variation does well against zoners, I feel that Beserker does better than Marauder because the blade lunge can punish if you’re midscreen, and once you get someone in the corner there zoning doesn’t mean a thing.

I’m by no means a good player, so I’d love to hear some other perspectives.

skahwt

Noob
Do any other Berserker players struggle against The Kollector’s Back in the Pack variation? I don’t know how to deal with his range. Any tips?