What's new

CONSPIRACY THEORY: THE "BASE ROSTER LEAK" IS A BOON PLOY

That is, it seems way to convenient for the "not enough info" chorus (which I've also sung solo falsetto, in) to approach crescendo, as it has in recent weeks, and then for such a massive leak to 'suddenly' drop.

Based on this, methinks this leak is actually a 'leak' -- a Boon sanctioned "leak" to mollify the menacing masses. Rationale:
1) Plausible deniability
2) Serves as an excuse to keep drip-feeding content via the 'sparse' Kombat Kasts (on grounds that 'you know enough already')
3) NRS under Warn-a-Brother aren't aren't working out a cargo container in Macca's parking lot -- for such a leak to 'accidentally' get past their gestapo squads, does not hold water
4) It conspicuously lacks characters already announced -- why wouldn't the confirmed Cage and Kahn's portraits be there?... Unless they figured it (i) redundant and / or (ii) as such, it makes the leak look more authentic (i.e., work-in-progress)
5) As initially broached, the din of disgruntled dingleberries sick of being kept in suspense, may have been felt to be overbearing, and (as I've alluded to in an associated thread) seen as a risk to launch sales (*as in film, the first fortnight's sales are a key to a game's success -- if it fail$ early, it's seen to fail, period).

Theory surmised:
Infamous and lifelike troll, Ed Boon, orchestrated the "leak"; thereby, both re-igniting hype for the game, and relieving the pressure on the Kombat Kasts to deliver more than the meagre morsels they've planned to.

>prove me wrong
>protip:
>you cuan(')t

Lokheit

Noob
Except some people have been sitting on this info respecting their sources. These were privately leaked long ago, it's not something that now they suddenly planned to outsmart us.

These were privately leaked long ago, it's not something that now they suddenly planned to outsmart us.
How so? I only heard of "Citroën" recently... "Kollector" was mentioned a while back -- sure -- but, that was just a name, and names would have been decided on years ago.

Lokheit

Noob
How so? I only heard of "Citroën" recently... "Kollector" was mentioned a while back -- sure -- but, that was just a name, and names would have been decided on years ago.
@SinkFla already explained it in the megathread. We got some very specific hints during the past weeks from those who had insider info and some had these images and were respectfully sitting on them so their source wouldn't get in trouble.

This is just someone not being as trustworthy as he appeared to be (or maybe even another step on the chain) spilling every single bean for their moment of glory.

This isn't a marketing campaign, it's a leak.

Kratilim

Noob
Leak or not. It might be just what the doctor ordered for Nrs to keep certain fans happy. Boosts the hype for the nay-sayers. Even though I still think Nrs marketing has a good plan how and when to reveal characters. And I suspect we'll see quite a lot of videos in the last weeks amping up for release. Keeping casuals hyped up for months is very difficult. Whereas releasing several videos after another and telling ppl they can go get the game next week is far easier. Casual players don't track games as long as fans do. So to me it makes sense to come out with trailers etc mere weeks before release instead of months. Hell, Anthem wasn't advertised here in public transportation until a day or two before release. (here being the netherlands)

SinkFla

Noob
@SinkFla already explained it in the megathread. We got some very specific hints during the past weeks from those who had insider info and some had these images and were respectfully sitting on them so their source wouldn't get in trouble.

This is just someone not being as trustworthy as he appeared to be (or maybe even another step on the chain) spilling every single bean for their moment of glory.

This isn't a marketing campaign, it's a leak.
This thread is already amazing thanks to OP lol. But yeah, everything you said is completely correct.