What's new

Congratulations to Master Chief for winning Mortal Kombat 9 at GUTS II!

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Today in Massachusetts, a sixteen-man bracket was conducted for those who turned up at the venue to compete in Mortal Kombat 9 for Game Underground Tournament Spectacular II! New and returning players alike battled it out for the crown and in the end, it came down to a nail-biting Loser's Finals and Grand Finals for Smurrgasm, Crosstalk, and Master Chief. There was much Hollywood domination from Johnny Cage players on the Kombat Network stream to behold!

GUTS 2 Image.jpg
Mortal Kombat 9 article image.jpg

The Grand Finals was packed to the brim with much counter-picking from Smurrgasm and Master Chief, including characters such as Shang Tsung, Johnny Cage, Kenshi, Kung Lao, and Cyrax. Just as the crowd began anticipating a reset in the brackets with bated breath, Master Chief's Kung Lao manages to pull out the win in the final match, earning him the tournament victory! Congratulations to Master Chief!​
And just to clarify, no, Smurrgasm is in no way related to AK Smarrgasm from Atlanta, GA. ;)
Thanks go to Kombat Network for hosting the MK9 stream at GUTS II! You can refer to this link for the tournament footage: http://www.twitch.tv/kombatnetwork/b/417803109
The full bracket results may be viewed here: http://challonge.com/GUTS2MK - but if you wish for a review on the matches that were streamed, here they are.​
Pool Matches
GU Jamie (Kabal): 0 vs. Master Chief (Cyrax): 2
Crosstalk (Johnny Cage) : 2 vs. Shock (Kenshi) : 0
RPD MCZ Alex Smith (Kung Lao): 2 vs. Ecto Thermia (Johnny Cage): 0
Darth Arma (Cyrax): 1 vs. TipsyRuben (Reptile): 2
OBS Deftonersc (Skarlet and Freddy Krueger): 1 vs. Master Chief (Kung Lao and Cyrax): 2
SZ GameDay (Sub-Zero): 0 vs. Shock (Kenshi): 2
Crosstalk (Johnny Cage): 2 vs. RPD MCZ Alex Smith (Kung Lao): 0
Master Chief (Kung Lao): 2 vs. TipsyRuben (Reptile): 0
Winner's Finals:
Master Chief (Kenshi): 3 vs. Crosstalk (Johnny Cage): 0
Loser's Quarterfinals:
RPD MCZ Alex Smith (Kung Lao): 2 vs. OBS Deftonersc (Freddy Krueger and Skarlet): 0
Loser's Semifinals:
RPD MCZ Alex Smith (Kung Lao): 0 vs. Smurrgasm (Johnny Cage): 2
Loser's Finals:
Smurrgasm (Freddy Krueger and Johnny Cage): 3 vs. Crosstalk (Johnny Cage): 2
Grand Finals
Master Chief (Cyrax, Kenshi, and Kung Lao): 3 vs. Smurrgasm (Johnny Cage and Shang Tsung): 2
Placings:
7th Place: Darth Arma and CRUM
5th Place: TipsyRuben and OBS Deftonersc
4th place: RPD MCZ Alex Smith
3rd Place: Crosstalk
2nd Place: Smurrgasm
Tournament Champion: Master Chief

Deftonesrc

Electrical Engineering bitch!
I mostly played rain. I only used skarlet cause someone in the crowd asked me to. And since I was against a Lao, I figured why not since I don't care to deal with constant jumping. So essentially I stopped caring =)

Was fun though!

Mastur Cheef is my training partner from CT. He's a really solid player, just hasn't had much luck at majors unfortunately.

Grand final was fucking awesome. And the hype in... i think it was winners final with the fatal was godlike. Yo, sometimes we get so competitive that we forget how fun it is to cut people in half and hold up their bodies like meat, lol. MK9 is still hype.

Deftonesrc

I thought the tournament was great! There was a decent turnout. What I have noticed about going to these things is that you CANT get wrapped up into wanting to win. So when I played, I was able to pick rain and actually have fun =)

CRUM , dont sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff lol

crosstalk , we NEED to get some sessions going again like old times! I hadnt touched this game in quite some time, and I forget how fun it can be!

The people who placed high are easily the best (except for little steves cyrax haha, its a win with an asterisk). But yeah, lets do another stint where master chief brings another 40 to the party! Lets go!!!

Dedamn666

Big Poppa Pump
Awesome stuff. Still think MK's a load more fun than Injustice. Game feels more solid, cant settle with Injustice. Shocks hairs also an inspiration to a balding metal head like myself.
Even if God has, never give up on your hair.

Deftonesrc

Yeah, it was really cool meeting Shock finally! It was great to play games with an old-schooler like myself!

I intend to always support GUTS, its a great time, and the people work really hard on it.

As an engineer, it was awesome to walk around the MIT campus. . . Made me really want to take out a loan for the rest of my life and go there! haha