What's new

General/Other Congrats to Tommy Wafflez on bringing smoke to top 16 at NEC

Matix218

Get over here!
Congrats to fellow smoke main Wafflez for making top 16 at one of if not the most stacked tournaments in MK9 history at NEC last weekend.

Also it was super nice meeting you Tommy, I am Matix, the smoke player who spoke to you about some strategies on the kabal matchup after getting my back blown out by your teammate Soonk on stream (my first high level kabal experience, wow is that character devastating). Your advice helped and in my losers bracket runback against Soonk i played much better and it was much more competitive (his nasty Kabal still took me out but i felt much better about how I played for sure). You were super cool and it was cool to meet a player that I was a fan of and have him be super nice and willing to offer help to a fellow player!

Good stuff Wafflez!

GGA Wafflez

the kid
Congrats to fellow smoke main Wafflez for making top 16 at one of if not the most stacked tournaments in MK9 history at NEC last weekend.

Also it was super nice meeting you Tommy, I am Matix, the smoke player who spoke to you about some strategies on the kabal matchup after getting my back blown out by your teammate Soonk on stream (my first high level kabal experience, wow is that character devastating). Your advice helped and in my losers bracket runback against Soonk i played much better and it was much more competitive (his nasty Kabal still took me out but i felt much better about how I played for sure). You were super cool and it was cool to meet a player that I was a fan of and have him be super nice and willing to offer help to a fellow player!

Good stuff Wafflez!
smoke players unite

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Smoke has nothing to do with Wafflez placing top 16. From what I have heard, he took the coward's way out (not surprisingly) and picked Cage versus Chris G's Reptile.

HD Smoke

Noob
Smoke has nothing to do with Wafflez placing top 16. From what I have heard, he took the coward's way out (not surprisingly) and picked Cage versus Chris G's Reptile.
Wait really? Wafflez haven't you beaten Chris g's reptile with smoke before? Why did you go cage? Smoke/Reptile is 5-5 right?

HD Smoke

Noob
Congrats Wafflez especially getting 16th with a character that is holding you back. You play Smoke at the highest level period but we all know how tough it is with his bad match ups. You seem to make it work. Going 2-1 against tyrant's Jax is hella impressive. Especially since Jax clearly gives Smoke lots of problems. Rep our overrated character for life. Character loyalty all the way

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Fuck you very much ;_;
lol.

Well, here's the thing. If I knew what I know now about my instincts in fighting games, I never would have picked Smoke. Now, that's not to say I regret my time with him, because it was good while it lasted, but his play style and my instincts do not gel.

I learned A LOT from learning SF4 over the last 2 months. One of those things is that I like to aggressively control the space directly in front of me. Controlling space is not something that Smoke does well; smoke wants be constantly on the move in unpredictable ways and repositioning himself in relation to your opponent and has a hard time doing anything unless your opponent presses a button first.

During my time with Smoke, I did this occasionally but it was mostly subconscious and only partly intentional. If you go back and look at 90% of the matches I lost, it was because I was trying to control the space in front of me with d4 and b2, something that is actually really risky and not very effective.

So every time I felt like Smoke needed extra shit, it's because he DOES need shit... to play him the way my instincts tell me I want to play FGs in general.

If I knew what I know now, I would have picked either Kenshi, Freddy, or Ermac.

to be totally honest, I feel like I would like playing Rose a lot in SF4, but I really hate her character design so I'm sticking with Akuma for now.

Fuck man. I've been struggling with exactly that, lmao. I played foxy for a while a couple days ago, and he would blow me up constantly for trying to do exactly what you just described. I've gotten really emo about b2 the past week or so. I've been playing SF as well with dhalsim for around 5 months now, but I haven't really been gelling with him either. I'll take this into consideration, thanks KT Smith. Maybe I should try a new SF4 main as well.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Fuck man. I've been struggling with exactly that, lmao. I played foxy for a while a couple days ago, and he would blow me up constantly for trying to do exactly what you just described. I've gotten really emo about b2 the past week or so. I've been playing SF as well with dhalsim for around 5 months now, but I haven't really been gelling with him either. I'll take this into consideration, thanks KT Smith. Maybe I should try a new SF4 main as well.
common woes.

Dhalsim has good space control around 1/4 - 3/4 screen but once they're in it's basically over. I like how Guile plays but charging is annoying as fuck.

Akuma is cool because when you have a tight air fireball game, that's some of the most boss space control in SF. You can do it both offensively and defensively and from almost anywhere on screen.

And I just checked out Rose and I don't like her buttons as much as I thought. She seems wimpy and her fireball blows.

common woes.

Dhalsim has good space control around 1/4 - 3/4 screen but once they're in it's basically over. I like how Guile plays but charging is annoying as fuck.

Akuma is cool because when you have a tight air fireball game, that's some of the most boss space control in SF. You can do it both offensively and defensively and from almost anywhere on screen.

And I just checked out Rose and I don't like her buttons as much as I thought. She seems wimpy and her fireball blows.

I tried playing Rose for a time, too. She looks boss when arturo plays her, but meh. Never really felt her either. I'm on Hitbox now so 360s are kind of out of the question until I get better with it, so I can't zangeif either :\

CDjr makes Juri look pretty sweet. I play with her sometimes, but that feng shui engine turns her into a completely new character so it'll be a few months before I'm not complete ass with her lol. But yeah, character selection is pretty tough, best of luck to you with SF, if I ever see you again we'll run a 3-game, ft3 in each game money match. Best 2/3 games wins; MK, SF4, and Mystery Game :p

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I tried playing Rose for a time, too. She looks boss when arturo plays her, but meh. Never really felt her either. I'm on Hitbox now so 360s are kind of out of the question until I get better with it, so I can't zangeif either :\

CDjr makes Juri look pretty sweet. I play with her sometimes, but that feng shui engine turns her into a completely new character so it'll be a few months before I'm not complete ass with her lol. But yeah, character selection is pretty tough, best of luck to you with SF, if I ever see you again we'll run a 3-game, ft3 in each game money match. Best 2/3 games wins; MK, SF4, and Mystery Game :p
do you play online on xbox? just add me on there

EDIT: Ok, thread hijack over. GGs to Wafflez who did much better against Tyrant than I did