What's new

Concerned about GL's bad match ups

Zurr Tusko

Twitter: ZurrTusko
I'm going to ECT in September,my first real tournament, and I was concerned about Lantern's bad match ups. I'm having difficulty removing myself from the match ups I personally struggle with vs. the ones that are actual bad match ups. What are the worst match ups for GL and what would be a good secondary to cover those bad MUs?

Deadshot and Harley for me personally are my worst mu's. I've been learning Bizzaro (I hate Clark lol) lately but he doesn't seem to be the answer for Deadshot. Not sure there is one tbh. Good luck @ ECT though. "In brightest day....."

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
I'm going to ECT in September,my first real tournament, and I was concerned about Lantern's bad match ups. I'm having difficulty removing myself from the match ups I personally struggle with vs. the ones that are actual bad match ups. What are the worst match ups for GL and what would be a good secondary to cover those bad MUs?
Fate and Darkseid are pretty shitty for Lantern.
I think Black Adam works well for most of GLs bad matchups like these two.

Ludi

Noob
Best Advice i can give for deadshot matchup is b1 under high shot, but then duck the next one, you can't continuously do it. It's a pattern of walk forward, b1, duck, walk forward, b1, duck. Just closes the distance a bit better. These are definitely the hard match ups but I think Fate is worse.

2jz4lyfe

Green Lantern's got this!
I feel GL can take almost the entire cast. Now, he does get out zoned. But paitience is key with him. Play the nuetral as best you can. Personally I'm still finding my secondary. For zoners I'm thinking Darksied. And for MU where I need to be more aggressive I've been using Bane. Both cover what I lack with GL.

Last edited:

Zurr Tusko

Twitter: ZurrTusko
Was watching Hometown Heroes last night and Gross was playing, but didn't play much GL. Godspeed/Wonder Chef said that's because that GL doesn't have the tools to be viable competitively. Any thoughts on this? Are people downplaying GL?

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
I think GL is pretty good, but I don't think it's possible to get top 4 or maybe even top 8 playing just GL. I think even Gross when he got top 8 played Black Adam and Aquaman in quite a few matches.

Having a good secondary is definitely a good idea. Black Adam seems like a good one, I wonder if Arrow or super girl might also be good.

GL is really good in my opinion but when you think about it a character like Superman does everything GL can but better. I can't speak on Aquaman or Black Adam as I refuse to play them lol, but I understand why Gross (at the level he plays at) would pick them over GL.

Last edited:

2jz4lyfe

Green Lantern's got this!
I think Green Lantern, after reading other inputs, is a good secondary. I think a good main fo GL is Super Man. Same game plan really but better match ups. Shoot maybe even Harley or Bane

Ludi

Noob
I think GL definitely has competitive issues, and can be awful if your opponent knows and exploits the matchup really well. I won't say he's low tier but he's one of the more highly overrated characters.

Ludi

Noob
The thing with GL is you need to go for the unsafe reads and mixups sometimes. Like catching the backdash in the gap between b1,3 or mixing them with a bf2 cancel (very unsafe)

Tweedy

Noob
GL is really good in my opinion but when you think about it a character like Superman does everything GL can but better. I can't speak on Aquaman or Black Adam as I refuse to play them lol, but I understand why Gross (at the level he plays at) would pick them over GL.
Why is that? I think Superman is better than GL but I don't understand how he does the same things but better. They seem very different to me.

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
Why is that? I think Superman is better than GL but I don't understand how he does the same things but better. They seem very different to me.
I don't really see any real similarity other than that they both have a nice advancing footsie tool that is hit confirmable and leads to full combo.

To me they are the jack of all trades. They both have good zoning and they both have nice neutral. Both have really good wiff punishing strings, but for me it just seems like Bizzaro does this with less effort than GL. How do you feel they are different?

Tweedy

Noob
To me they are the jack of all trades. They both have good zoning and they both have nice neutral. Both have really good wiff punishing strings, but for me it just seems like Bizzaro does this with less effort than GL. How do you feel they are different?
I don't think Lantern has good zoning. Also GL has no backdash but he's very good at naturally chasing backdashes with his strings. He has good anti airs and Superman doesn't but Superman is a much safer character. I don't see the similarities.

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
Who do you consider a truly bad match up for GL? The following are mine.

Red Hood
Fate
Deadshot
Cyborg
Darkseid

Maybe Supergirl
Maybe Batman

Most of his losing match ups are because he gets heavily outzoned which naturally causes a meter disadvantage. I'd say go with a zoner or a counter zoner like Supergirl.

I don't think Lantern has good zoning. Also GL has no backdash but he's very good at naturally chasing backdashes with his strings. He has good anti airs and Superman doesn't but Superman is a much safer character. I don't see the similarities.
Fair enough, GL's back dash is definitely buns no doubt, but his zoning is above average imo. Agree on the aa is in GL's favor as well. I understand your perspective but also understand we are on two completely different playing fields. I appreciate the reply as it is a pleasure to debate. But for this casual as I stated before GL is a poor mans Superman.

Tweedy

Noob
Fair enough, GL's back dash is definitely buns no doubt, but his zoning is above average imo. Agree on the aa is in GL's favor as well. I understand your perspective but also understand we are on two completely different playing fields. I appreciate the reply as it is a pleasure to debate. But for this casual as I stated before GL is a poor mans Superman.
Idk I think in general GL's downfall as a character is that he's got a lot of zoning tools, yet gets outzones by so many characters.

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
As GL I struggle vs Supergirl, Deadshot, Batman, and Fate.

Atro, Superman, and Adam are doable depending on the player but why do that to myself when Starfire is my official secondary? :DOGE

Tweedy

Noob
As GL I struggle vs Supergirl, Deadshot, Batman, and Fate.

Atro, Superman, and Adam are doable depending on the player but why do that to myself when Starfire is my official secondary? :DOGE
Starfire is banned at ECT tho so it doesn't help the thread creator.