What's new

Guide Complete Smoke Guide

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
LaR, I fixed some mistakes and also corrected the spoiler tags in the guide (you can edit and check out how they are set up). Feel free to make more edits as you get time.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
Thank you for this guide. The Smoke / Lao MU was the #1 thing that was killing me in both casuals and tourney play at FF, this weekend, so I will be studying this to better prepare myself.

RiBBz22

Thank you for this guide. The Smoke / Lao MU was the #1 thing that was killing me in both casuals and tourney play at FF, this weekend, so I will be studying this to better prepare myself.
Have fun with the guessing game after every one of your neutral strings since you will always have to respect spin...Standing 2 complicates things as well if you ever want to continue pressure. The punish on 21 is extremely difficult so don't beat yourself up if you aren't doing that every single time...the main key in this MU is being able to react and punish the teleport as much as possible. JK air throw (immediately on reaction pre-dive kick) is good for KL's that love to be in the air all of the time.

LaR

Noob
cool. by the way i just edited the kung lao section and i also just found some more anti kung lao tech that i will add in later

Glass Sword

Nobody
Hey can someone add a video guide or pictures to getting the otg smoke bomb because I keep giving up games because I mess this up?

LaR

Noob
Hey can someone add a video guide or pictures to getting the otg smoke bomb because I keep giving up games because I mess this up?
The 10% otg smoke bomb or the reset?. If it is just the extra 10% smoke bomb when are you doing it?. It is only guaranteed after an air throw. To make it easy do the air throw as close to the ground as possible so that you recover quicker.

RiBBz22

I don't have any videos or anything but it is guaranteed anytime your opponent doesn't tech roll after a knockdown. Since the air throw is the only attack that can't be tech'd, it is the only one you can do guaranteed. Just make sure you get the bomb out before your opponent recovers.

Glass Sword

Nobody
LaR
The 10% smoke bomb. I guess I am not getting the air throw close enough to the ground. Should I delay my jump for a second to guarantee I don't whiff the air throw? Also if I jump kick throw my opponent on the ground I can't seem to get it.

LaR

Noob
LaR
The 10% smoke bomb. I guess I am not getting the air throw close enough to the ground. Should I delay my jump for a second to guarantee I don't whiff the air throw? Also if I jump kick throw my opponent on the ground I can't seem to get it.
when you jump just delay the kick into throw and should be able to get the otg consistently you can also input the the smoke bomb just before you land. i dont think the otg is guaranteed if you land the jump kick at the highest point not sure though just remember to do the smoke bomb before you land

when you jump just delay the kick into throw and should be able to get the otg consistently you can also input the the smoke bomb just before you land. i dont think the otg is guaranteed if you land the jump kick at the highest point not sure though just remember to do the smoke bomb before you land
the kung lao stuff you showed me like interrupting his strings after letting the first one hit is actually not anti kung lao tech, a lot of characters' high strings can be interrupted like sektors standing 1 string/ jax standing 1 string. I dont know if it is something you can do consistently in a real match though. I do it all the time vs the ai in training mode at expert.

LaR

Noob
the kung lao stuff you showed me like interrupting his strings after letting the first one hit is actually not anti kung lao tech, a lot of characters' high strings can be interrupted like sektors standing 1 string/ jax standing 1 string. I dont know if it is something you can do consistently in a real match though. I do it all the time vs the ai in training mode at expert.
this makes no sense im confused :confused:

this makes no sense im confused :confused:
what I meant was, interrupting 1(here)121, 2(here) if youre on neutral crouch is not exclusive to kung lao's strings. you can do it against sektor and jax as well and probably a lot more high hitting strings in the game.

LaR

Noob
what I meant was, interrupting 1(here)121, 2(here) if youre on neutral crouch is not exclusive to kung lao's strings. you can do it against sektor and jax as well and probably a lot more high hitting strings in the game.
what has that got to do with landing an otg lol.
it still is anti kl tech for smoke and the other strings you mentioned cant be interrupted by smoke anyway. The only other strings that you can interrupt like this with smoke are sonya's.

what has that got to do with landing an otg lol.
it still is anti kl tech for smoke and the other strings you mentioned cant be interrupted by smoke anyway. The only other strings that you can interrupt like this with smoke are sonya's.
nothing, I just changed the subject on my own, lol. so youre saying you cant interrupt jax and sektors standing 1 string? it should be a lot easier to do than kung lao's 21 string.

LaR

Noob
nothing, I just changed the subject on my own, lol. so youre saying you cant interrupt jax and sektors standing 1 string? it should be a lot easier to do than kung lao's 21 string.
you can and you cant the reason you can do it with kl's strings is because he has no good mid hitting strings to worry about and because there are so many situations where you know he will try these block strings like after anything that leaves him at zero. there is no way you are ever going to punish sektors 12 as there is no setup to do it combined with the fact that you have to watch out for his b3. as for jax's his f4 string hits smoke so jax has no reason to use any other strings.

you can and you cant the reason you can do it with kl's strings is because he has no good mid hitting strings to worry about and because there are so many situations where you know he will try these block strings like after anything that leaves him at zero. there is no way you are ever going to punish sektors 12 as there is no setup to do it combined with the fact that you have to watch out for his b3. as for jax's his f4 string hits smoke so jax has no reason to use any other strings.
have you ever seen someone actually do this consistently in a real match? ive never heard anyone besides you mention it and its pretty legit imo.

LaR

Noob
have you ever seen someone actually do this consistently in a real match? ive never heard anyone besides you mention it and its pretty legit imo.
i never get the chance to do it because no one plays kung lao offline at casuals over here. its not hard as you think a friend of mine who doesn't play mk could do it in practice mode. you can still only do it on a read though. interrupting 11 is easy but 21 requires a bit of timing