What's new

Guide Complete Smoke Guide

I spoke too soon. This is training mode tech, it does not work in real games. When you cross your opponent up, their wakeup will not come out as the inputs will be reversed, yes, however THEY STILL DO A NORMAL. AI does not do this but obviously it happens 100% of the time with real people. You just get hit out of everything you try to do, and after you do it 1-2 times it's easy to react to and full combo punish. I used it about 10 times against soonk and it only worked once, and it was because he messed up his punish.

It's not bad tech but it's not really any better than any of smoke's other oki setups from what I gather...

LaR

Noob
I spoke too soon. This is training mode tech, it does not work in real games. When you cross your opponent up, their wakeup will not come out as the inputs will be reversed, yes, however THEY STILL DO A NORMAL. AI does not do this but obviously it happens 100% of the time with real people. You just get hit out of everything you try to do, and after you do it 1-2 times it's easy to react to and full combo punish. I used it about 10 times against soonk and it only worked once, and it was because he messed up his punish.

It's not bad tech but it's not really any better than any of smoke's other oki setups from what I gather...
works for me. maybe your not timing it right or doing it against the wrong wake up attacks?. ps this is not something you should do everytime you get a knockdown

works for me. maybe your not timing it right or doing it against the wrong wake up attacks?. ps this is not something you should do everytime you get a knockdown
I am 100% consistent vs. AI, but it did not work once versus a human. They just throw out a standing/crouching normal and it beats me. When it gets read, it's a full combo punish. I'll try it more but this is not looking promising versus people that know what they're doing...

REYTHEGREAT

i have done something similar to this in the past. basically after an air throw i would quickly teleport (which will place me in front of my opponent) and then do the smoke towards so i can be behind them as they wake up. that way they wiff the attack. But sometimes, the character will have a fast special which can punish me.

LaR

Noob
I am 100% consistent vs. AI, but it did not work once versus a human. They just throw out a standing/crouching normal and it beats me. When it gets read, it's a full combo punish. I'll try it more but this is not looking promising versus people that know what they're doing...
You should only use it when you think they are going to wake up attack if your opponent never wakes up you should never do it. It works good after a breaker and other knockdowns aswell if they don't tech roll.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
You can also juggle with EX Smoke bombs in the corner as a pop up instead of them actually getting caught and dropping, this is unbreakable damage but has to be specific combos for it which i dont remember off the top of my head.

LaR

Noob
You can also juggle with EX Smoke bombs in the corner as a pop up instead of them actually getting caught and dropping, this is unbreakable damage but has to be specific combos for it which i dont remember off the top of my head.
Do you remember how many smoke bombs you could juggle in the corner?. I can only get two to land.

you can't combo a true deep jump kick into air throw, the air throw whiffs. I'm sure it's kind of range-dependent, but I don't really use deep jump kicks much. unbreakable meterless, I suggest deep jump kick~smoke bomb into either naked airthrow or the breaker 50/50 with ambiguous jk~air throw. Glad to finally see somebody talk about this, I've always done it but never thought to actually post it haha. Good stuff hope people learn from it

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
you can't combo a true deep jump kick into air throw, the air throw whiffs. I'm sure it's kind of range-dependent, but I don't really use deep jump kicks much. unbreakable meterless, I suggest deep jump kick~smoke bomb into either naked airthrow or the breaker 50/50 with ambiguous jk~air throw. Glad to finally see somebody talk about this, I've always done it but never thought to actually post it haha. Good stuff hope people learn from it
it might have more to do with if they were standing/crouching. on the deep jump kick. I could be wrong... just wanted to throw it out there.

LaR

Noob
yea my bad that combo your talking about was a typo it was meant to be deep jump kick smoke cloud air throw not deep jump kick air throw.

yea my bad that combo your talking about was a typo it was meant to be deep jump kick smoke cloud air throw not deep jump kick air throw.
Ok, I figured. Didn't wanna go so far as to say you were completely wrong because it's actually range-dependent. If you do a jump in at the range where your body is right next to theirs when you jump kick, you can hit the air throw very low. But if you are hitting the jk from max distance you pretty much always drop the air throw.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Do you remember how many smoke bombs you could juggle in the corner?. I can only get two to land.
214-smokebomb/b23-tele d1 bomb ~ EX bomb at the right height lifts them high enough to tag a second EX smoke bomb, not sure if you could slip a third in OTG for some chip?

Too lazy to reread if this was mentioned or not but there are a few combos you can use and cancel into EX bomb and guarantee the OTG damage with your opponent only having a few frames to input their tech roll. 214 in the corner and b14 midscreen are the main culprits... I'll explain more later if anyone wants me to. Obviously good if you have an opponent that doesn't tech roll for whatever reason.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
LaR, In order to keep things clean I am thinking about merging all of your threads into 1 to make a single guide. What do you think? Unless you think it is a huge deal PM me what title you would want for the entire guide.

LaR

Noob
LaR, In order to keep things clean I am thinking about merging all of your threads into 1 to make a single guide. What do you think? Unless you think it is a huge deal PM me what title you would want for the entire guide.
Cool go ahead but will i still be able to more punishment guides if you do that now?.

RiBBz22

Ya I can take all of the posts with the info and merge them into 1 large post on the front page of the guide. If you want to make any edits you can take it from there. I will leave re-directed links so you can copy the titles of each guide if you want to make it into sections.

Reactions: LaR

RiBBz22

LaR, I just went ahead and merged everything. I left re-directs from the old guide posts up for 7 days. If you don't mind can you please edit the main guide to add subtitles and re-arrange it as you see fit? I also sticky'd it for the time being while you work on it.

LaR

Noob
LaR, I just went ahead and merged everything. I left re-directs from the old guide posts up for 7 days. If you don't mind can you please edit the main guide to add subtitles and re-arrange it as you see fit? I also sticky'd it for the time being while you work on it.
good stuff and yea i'll do that there is a few things i was going to edit anyway