What's new

Guide - Reptile Complete Reptile Guide + Optimal Combos [Post Patch]

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
So recently I have made a lot of Reptile threads. Apologies if it seems I'm doing it too much. I just thought I needed to make some of these... I made a thread like this, thinking to update it, but way too many things have changed that I thought I'd have to make a whole other thread. Thanks in advance!
Here are my MU Notes. The patch is young and it is under maintenance
https://testyourmight.com/threads/post-patch-reptile-mu-list.62043/

STRENGTHS
- Quick/Mobile
Builds Bar Fast
- Very Good Pokes
- Quick Overheads
-Decent Armor Breaking Tools
- Swaggy
- Has Many Setups
- Wins A Good Amount of MUs
- Good Anti Zoning (Not To Be Confused With Counter Zoning)

WEAKNESSES
- Lacks Meterless Low Combo Starter
- Hard Time Counter Zoning (I'm talking about getting a projectile out)
- Takes Many Poor Trades
- Loses A Good Amount of MUs
- Weak AAs

Important Move List Overview

NORMALS
• s1 - Probably your best AA. It is not the strongest, so using it against some jump ins could get you blown up. Such as Sub Zero's. D2 is more reliable

• d1 - Another good anti cross up. Like s1, you should be careful when you use it.

• d2 - Your most reliable AA. If not comfortable with the other 2, d2 is your best bet.

• d3 - Probably your best up close poke. Very quick, but stubby range. Usually opponents will respect OHs, so D3 into a mixup is viable.

• d4 - One of the most overlooked pokes in the game. It is neutral on block and has ridiculous hit advantage. It has a slow start up, and it is a low.

• s3 - An extremely underused stagger. It is a +1 high, but very unexpected.

• b2 - A 12 frame OH which is +1. Anything after it is a risk even though it is plus. Stubby range and good after staggers

• JI4/3 - Very good jump in kicks. JI3 is faster, but JI4 does have more range. Risky against characters like Scorpion.

STRINGS
• F41- My BnB stagger. An opponent who knows the MU will poke out on reaction. Do not abuse it. It hits mid and has a quick start up

• 21 - Good high stagger. It is plus, and use it after conditioning

• F412 - A good special cancelable mid. Basically my BnB punisher

•B34- A safe, armor breaking low with good push back. The trade off is how much whiff recovery it is.

• F3B4 - Catches back dashes. It is very hard to punish. Reptile's dash punishes with ease

• B1D4 - A high to low which is reactable. It is very punishable if you use a forceball after. Most people get hit by it. B1 itself is a great stagger.

☆ SPECIAL MOVES
• DB2 - A safe move that leads into a HKD. Free Noxious gas setup if hit.

• DB2ex - This is an unsafe launcher. If an opponent is block high a lot, you can launch them with B3/F3~DB2ex

• DB4 - A safe anti zoning pounce that reaches up to 3/4 of the screen. It is important to know the range of the pounce. If whiffed, you will eat a full combo punish.

• DB4ex - The same thing as DB4, leads to a HKD. This one has armor. Like DB4 it can be blown up by a JIK and NJP

• BF4 - A good YOLO wakeup. It does NOT low profile mids. Only Highs. Very unsafe on block

• BF4ex - Similar to the BF4 with some differences. It has armor, and a lot of push back so punishing is harder. ex Slide almost goes full screen and great for getting in. It also low profiles mids

• BF2 - Great quick special moves that switches sides. It is fairly difficult to punish but not that hard. Another tool great for getting in. This is used in combos a lot

• DF1 - A fairly quick high projectile with decent damage. Isn't the best for counter zoning, and only good when you have control. It trades with ice ball a good amount so be careful

• DF1ex - This is a puddle that does DoT. It stops sprinters if they try to come in

• DB3/ex - DB3 is a great pressure tool. Every chance you get, put one out. This can make moves safe, and armor break. DB3 ex costs a bar, but is even better for pressure due to the slowness of the FB. Both of these are mids, but moves such as Johnny's D4 and Mileena's roll can low profile it. Beware.

DF3/ex - DF3 or fast forceball has a faster speed than DB3. DF3 is worse for pressure but better for setups. DF3ex, like DB3ex, has a faster start up and recovery than the non-meterburned ones. It is a very good trade, so using it full screen can hit the opponent.

• DD+BLK - This move stops the forceball in its place and lasts for about 4 seconds. This is perfect for catching jumpers and overwhelming setups

Reptile has great tools. Your main goal is to be on the offensive side. One of his major weaknesses is his poor counter zoning. The spit trades a lot, and most times he has a hard to time getting hit forceball out. To keep the pressure, ending in F4~Forceball or F412~Forceball is key to overwhelming your opponent. Keep in mind with Reptile is to mix things up. Be unexpected. Different mixups at different times helps, and switch it around. Your forceball is your main pressure tool, so adding some staggers with mixes in front of your forceball with help your pressure. DB3ex is one of the best pressure tools in the game. Jumping is risky for the opponent, and they can be armor broken. If you're really struggling with being zoning. Try moving in with Pounce or ex Slide. Don't abuse B1D4. Use it at times when they're sleeping on you and not ready to react. Relying on your amazing setups will help too. Don't abuse your gimmicks such as F41~Basilisk in the corner. This strategy is still in the making so stay tuned for more in depth explanations.

* COMBO LIST - SEE UNIVERSAL COMBOS FOR FILLERS AND STARTERS!!!

* UNIVERSAL

- Mid Screen

- Ending in F4/F412~Forceball - Free Setup
- Enders: F412~Spit, F412~Pounce, 14~Dash~Dash, F4~DB3, F412~Slide, F412~DB3
- Universal Combos Are Important For Reptile
- [....] Optional

F412~Dash, NJP, F41 Run F412~Slide [34%] (This combo is a 1 frame link, see the one below.)
F412~Dash, 21, F412~Slide [28%]
F412~Dash, 21 Run 1, F412~Slide [28%]
F412~Dash, F412~Spit [27%] (Sends opponent full screen)
F412~Dash, 14~Dash~Dash (Builds bar - Good For Mind Games)

B3~DF3ex NJP 21 [Run 1 Run] F412~Slide

12~DF3, NJP, F41 F412~Slide (This combo is inconsistent, see the one below.)
12~DF3, NJP, 21 F412~Slide

B2 Run F412~DB4
B2 F211+3
B2 F211+3(ex) NJP, F412~Slide

F211+3
F21~Claw
F211+3(ex) NJP, 21 [Run 1 Run] F412~Slide

B1D4~DF3, NJP 21 [Run 1 Run] F412~Slide

2124, Run 21 F412~Pounce

* CORNER

F412~Dash, 141, D3 F412~Slide

B2, 141, D3 F412~Slide

F211+3(ex) Deep NJP, 4~DF3, D2, F412~Slide (j360 Tech)

B1D4~DF3 NJP 21, 21, 1, [1] F412~Slide

2124 NJP, 21, 21, 1 [1] F412~Slide

*NOXIOUS

- See Universal Combos
- Ender Option in Noxious : F412~DD3

34~DD3, (Insert Universal Combos)

* DECEPTIVE

- See Universal Combos
- Ender Option in Deceptive : F412~DD3 Midscreen, F41~DD3 Corner

F41~DD3ex (Insert Universal Combos)

B3~DD3ex (Insert Universal Combos)

F3~DD3ex (Insert Universal Combos)

* SETUPS

F412~Dash (Filler) F41[2]~DD3

B1D4~DF3 (Filler) F41[2]~DD3

* NIMBLE

- Many Options If A Combo Is Too Difficult
- Setups Later In OP

F412~DD3ex F2~Dash F4~Dash F4~Dash F4~Dash F4~Slide F4~Slide F412~Slide (Corner To Corner)
F412~DD3ex Slide F4~Dash F4~Dash F4~Dash F4~Slide F4~Slide F412~Slide (Corner To Corner)
F412~DD3ex Slide Slide Slide Slide Slide Slide F412~Slide

B1D4~DF3, Deep NJP, DD3ex F4~Dash F4~Dash F4~Dash F4~Slide F4~Dash F4~Slide F41~Slide

(Already In Nimble, From Setup Or On Block):
(DD3) F412~Claw D3 F4~Dash F4~Dash F4~Slide F412~Slide
(DD3) F4[1]~Slide F4~Dash F4~Dash F4~Slide F4~Slide F41[2]~Slide

(Many Different Options For Midscreen to Corner. Find Out Which One Fits You Best)

* CORNER

F412~DD3ex F4~Spit F4~Dash F4~Spit F4~Spit F4~Forceball, D2, F412~Slide
F412~DD3ex F4~Spit F4~Spit F41, F41~DF3 D2, F412~Slide

B1D4~DF3 DD3ex F4~Dash F4~Dash F4~Dash F4~Dash F4~Slide F4~Slide F412~Slide

* SETUPS

F412~Dash (Filler) F41~DD3
F412~Dash (Filler) F412~Slide DD3ex

(Insert Other Starters and End in The Setups)

*TROLL COMBOS

F412~DD3ex Slide s1 (x7 or so) F412~Slide (The Milky "Hey" challenge I created)

F412~DD3ex D2, Walk Back, D2, D2, D2, F412~Slide (Corner)

* FORCEBALL STRATEGY, TRAPS, AND SETUPS

F412~Dash 34~DF3 (Wait) DD~Block
* Pushing Opponent Into Forceball:
- Slide
- B2

B1D4~DF3 Deep NJP, Dash, 2~DF3 (Wait) DD~Block
* Pushing Opponent Into Forceball:
- Slide
- B2

* CORNER

F412~Dash 141 D3 F4~DF3 (Wait) DD~Block
* Pushing Opponent Into Forceball
- F4~Slide
- F41~Slide

B2 141 D3 F4~DF3 (Wait) DD~Block
- F4~Slide
- F41~Slide

F211+3(ex) Deep NJP, 4~DF3, D2, F4~DF3 (Wait) DD~Block
- F4~Slide
- F41~Slide

B1D4~DF3 NJP 21, 21, 1, [1] F4~DF3 (Wait) DD~Block
- F4~Slide
- F41~Slide

2124 NJP, 21, 21, 1 [1] F4~DF3 (Wait) DD~Block

- F4~Slide
- F41~Slide

NIMBLE
☆ Nimble requires the most execution and patience and is probably the current best variation for Reptile. Unless the opponent doesn't know the MU, you should never do Nimble on block or the opponent will poke out of it, or even completely punish you if they're quick enough. His Nimble setups in the corner, consist of ending combos in F41~DD3, F412~DD3, F412~Slide DD3ex. These are all gimmicks. If a character has slow armor like Predator, ending in F412~Slide DD3ex can armor break if you hit B34 after and if they try to armor. Hell, they can just wake up poke Be careful with these. Your most reliable one in the corner is F412~DD3ex which is safe, depending on the character the opponent is playing. His F41~DD3 mid screen however, is safe. Say if you're playing against Sub Zero, and you anticipate a slide. You can jump back and whiff punish the slide, being that you cannot block while in Basilisk. 4~DD3ex is an underrated on block tool also. This does work well on sleeping opponents. You should lab all the possibilities of conversions. You can get free Basilisk setups after the following: (And more) Xray, after you hit them with a forceball ending combos in F41~DD3, off of a neutral jump, and more.

DECEPTIVE
☆ Deceptive used to be the best variation until the armor nerf on the Invis. His main pressure tools are F41/B3/F3~DD3ex. 21~DD3ex is a very underrated tool. 21 in itself is +2, adding invisibility. This variation is even more meter hungry than Nimble, and builds it slower. My general strategy is to mix people up and make them afraid to poke out of the Invis. After 21~DD3ex and they try to poke, try out 2124. If you do s3~DD3ex, do 34~DD3ex. This will confuse your opponent. Your typical setups are ending combos in F41[2]~DD3. I do not meterburn this to save my meter for the block strings. The first hit out of Stealth or Invis. does no damage.

NOXIOUS
☆ Noxious is the most basic variation. He gains unblockable DoT, .20% per second, and for each hit on you, the opponent eats the ticks of dmg. For setups, you get a free DD3 after claw swipe which increases the DoT. You can also get them free SAFE even in the corner with ending in F412~DD3. The Opponent cannot get a flawless which is a bonus and prevents large comebacks. A good setup for Noxious gas for me is when a forceball hits, DD3 Run F412~Spit/Pounce. Probably Reptile's worst variation but it is still viable

***THIS IS STILL IN THE MAKING. TELL ME IF I MISSED ANYTHING***

@OFIDYAN

@Genocide512

@G4S J360
@SoS Zulu
@HappyPow
@Milkman
@DatProStunner
@Shade667
@Alright RyRy
@THTB
@Syzoth
@RM Cossner
@Tweedy
@Other Reptiles

Last edited:

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
I'm basically done. Didn't get much feedback, and looking for some thoughts and mistakes

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
Cool I've been wanting to learn reptile after I got wrecked by one haha. I felt like I couldn't press a button
Learning the MU helps. If you don't know the MU you will get blown up. He has his share of weaknesses

Sunny_D

Green Arrows personal Shooty guy
Probably not the most viable setup tool, but if im correct doesnt acid spit do mpre damage in noxious instead of ending is gas? Because you get two sets up dot plus your pressure?

And whats the best acid spray setup?

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
Probably not the most viable setup tool, but if im correct doesnt acid spit do mpre damage in noxious instead of ending is gas? Because you get two sets up dot plus your pressure?

And whats the best acid spray setup?
To get the Acid Puddle (I think you mean that) you need to spend a bar

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
For example. Reptile has some of the best counter zoning in the whole game
Let me elaborate: I was mainly focusing on the quick, mid projectiles, like Slasher and Cybernetic. And no, I'm not talking about BF4(ex), and DB4(ex). I was talking about how hard it is to get a spit out from full screen

TamedLizard

Buff George
Reptile has pretty much always had the luxury of scoffing at zoning. Still one of my favorite things about him in this game. If he wants to come in, he's coming in. And he has a plethora of ways to do it.

But good job on the guide. I honestly didn't know the F412~NJP bnb was a one frame link. I know it's tight, but wouldn't have thought one frame.

And I didn't see this combo in your list (may have overlooked it, but just in case) -

B3/F3~EX DB2, slight delay NJP, F4~DF3, D2, F412~BF4, D3~BF4 (37% IIRC, 35% without D3~slide)

Universal 1 bar corner only low starter combo (say that 5 times fast :p) . Works on females as well.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
Reptile has pretty much always had the luxury of scoffing at zoning. Still one of my favorite things about him in this game. If he wants to come in, he's coming in. And he has a plethora of ways to do it.

But good job on the guide. I honestly didn't know the F412~NJP bnb was a one frame link. I know it's tight, but wouldn't have thought one frame.

And I didn't see this combo in your list (may have overlooked it, but just in case) -

B3/F3~EX DB2, slight delay NJP, F4~DF3, D2, F412~BF4, D3~BF4 (37% IIRC, 35% without D3~slide)

Universal 1 bar corner only low starter combo (say that 5 times fast :p) . Works on females as well.
I made the combo list from the top of my head. I'll add that for sure. And I explained before: "Let me elaborate: I was mainly focusing on the quick, mid projectiles, like Slasher and Cybernetic. And no, I'm not talking about BF4(ex), and DB4(ex). I was talking about how hard it is to get a spit out from full screen"