What's new

Guide - Goro Complete Guide to Dragon Fangs Goro

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Dragon Fangs is a variation of Goro that adds very good tools to a very solid character, especially in the rush down department. Throwing in a few mix-up opportunities with a new string and also a special that are specific to this variation.

Dragon Fangs is also the highest damaging Variation of Goro, mid-screen and in the corner. Goros' style is to get you in the corner and keep you in the corner, having numerous AA options, the best one being U1/U2. So I decided to make a video of all of my combos (As of right now, they are the MAX DAMAGE) mid screen and in the corner.

I will be stealing a few things from @Espio 's guide while he has written a very thorough guide on the Tigrar Fury variation.

Also please check out @dennycascade and his thread with the newest patch combos!

Dragon Fang Specific Moves:
  • D1 - has more range due to the fang.
  • 212 - (Bruiser) String that ends in an Mid instead of the traditional low (214)
  • BF2 - (Low Fang) Meter-less Low special to keep your opponent guessing. Mainly used in pressure. Relatively safe at -8 on block.
  • BF2+BLK - (Piercing Fang) The god send tool of this variation, will go into detail below.
  • DBF3 - (Shokan Stabs) Same Command Grab frame data, but deals more damage 16% EX deals 20%
  • DB2 - (Fang Spin) The primary move of this variation, deals 4.87% chip. Good to end block strings in.
  • DB2+BLK (Dragon Spin) The armored launcher version, deals same about of chip, but on hit deals more damage in combos.
October 4th Patch notes involving Universal Goro changes and Dragon Fang specific Changes

• Goro - BP,FP,BK is now -2 on block (up from -5)
  • Goro - Towards+BP now has 17 startup frames (down from 22)
  • Goro - Increased the range of Towards+FK
  • Goro - removed 5 recovery frames from Away+BK
  • Goro - Shokan Bolt now has 16 startup (down from 23) and has 5 less recovery frames
  • Goro - Shokan Blast now has 21 startup (down from 27) and has 5 less recovery frames
  • Goro - Fist Flurry now does all 6 hits on block and is now -12 on block (down from -5)
  • Goro - Fist Flurry & Punch Walk now cause the same air reactions making combos more consistent
  • Goro - Shokan Slam & Krush now have 2 hits of armor
  • Goro - Fist Flurry no longer pops up the opponent but can still be enhanced

• Goro (Dragon Fangs) - Piercing Fang is now +7 on block (down from +12)
    • Goro (Dragon Fangs) - Dragon Spin no longer has armor
    • Goro (Dragon Fangs) - Piercing Fang now has 2 hits of armor
    • Goro (Dragon Fangs) - Shokan Massacre now has 2 hits of armor
MIDSCREEN SECTION

Max Damage Mid-screen Meter-less:

• B12u2xB12u2xB12u2x3xxDBF3 35%
===============================================================

Max Damage Mid-Screen 1 Bar Using DB2+blk
or

• F3xDB2+blk xRCxF3xB12u2 21xDBF3 44% (Found by @dennycascade)
  • F3xDB2+blk xRCxF3xB12u2 4xDBF3 44%

DOES NOT WORK ON FEMALE CHARACTERS!

Extra Setup with 2 Meters with new BnB
  • F3xDB2+blk xRCxF3xB12u2 3xDF4 3d3 DU 53%

DOES NOT WORK ON FEMALE CHARACTERS!

Mid-Screen 1 Bar: Using DB2+blk

• F3xDB2+blk xRCxB12u2 NJP F3xDBF3 41%

Jailing with BF2+blk

NO LONGER WORKS ONLY +7 ON BLOCK

Jailing with X-Ray +29 on blk:

• :fkblk+blkxF214xDB2 10.02% Chip

CORNER SECTION
Goro has some good damaging combos in the corner, they do take some execution and alot of practice. I mean after all he is the Master of Kombat, he can't be that easy to control right? Goro also has really good mix-up opportunities in the corner and being able to armor break with 3d3 is really nice. Examples below.

3d3 Starter:
  • 3d3 U2xBF2xd1 d1 11 B21xDBF3 36% (Not Shown in video)
  • 3d3 U2xBF2xd1 11 B21xDBF3 35%
  • 3d3 U2xBF2xd1 d1 121xDBF3 34%

F3xPunchwalk Starter: (Newest Combo)

• F3xBF4+blk 4xBF2 d1x11 b12xDBF3 44%
  • F3xBF4+blk F3xBF2 d1x121xDBF3 43% (Not Shown in Video) Thanks to @Cage Redfield

F3xDragon Spin Starter:
or

• F3xDB2+blk F4 U2xBF2 d1 121xDBF3 48% (Top Video)
  • F3xDB2+blk 4xU2xBF2 d1 121xDBF3 45% (Bottom Video)

F3xDragon Spin Starter / EX Projectile Starter (2 Meter Combos):

or

• F3xDB2+blk F3xBF1+blk d1 11 b21xDBF3 50% (Top Video) (NEWEST COMBO)
  • F3xBF1+blk d1 d1 d1 12xBF4 4xDBF3 50% (Bottom Video) (NEWEST COMBO)

Jailing with 21xBF2+blk:

• 21xBF2+blk 21xBF2+blk 21xBF2+blk 21xDB2 18.77% CHIP

ANTI-AIR SECTION

Neutral Jump Punch Starter Combo - Max Damage

• NJPxF3 B12u2 4xDBF3 - 34%
Standing 1 Starter AA Combo - Max Damage

• 1 F3xBF4+BLK F3xDBF+3 - 34%
U1 / U2 Starter Combo

• U2/U1xRunxB12u2xNJP F3xDBF3 - 31%

Down 1 and Down 3 Anti Air Combo Starter

Down 1

• D1xB12u2xNJP F3xDBF3 31% (NJP Not shown in video)
Down 3

• D3xB12u2xNJP F3xDBF3 31%

Jump Back 1 and 2

• JBP1/JBP2xD4xDBF3 20%

That completes this guide showing all of the combos and what this character is capable of. Goro is not meant to zone in this variation at all, this is a purely a rush-down character. I hope this guide helps and inspires people to pick up Goro as the Goro community is really small at the moment. Really looking forward to seeing this character played in tournament more. Goro is now a legit character with this latest movement buffs.

Thanks for looking at my guide if you have any questions please feel free to ask me.

I do stream once and a while on the twitch.tv/EVB_Gaming channel so please feel free to follow that channel and when I got live you will get a notification to see some Goro action.

Bonus Video: I am starting to do a Ft5-10 against people with Goro so here are the videos I have so far.

Also I have made another thread involving how to fight against Goro. These may come in handy since Goro is going to be a more common character picked as he is rising up in the tier list.

Last edited:

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
Awesome guide man, I picked up DF recently so this will help. One question, how do you utilize EX bf2 vs small hitbox chars who can make 121 whiff midscreen? Feels like best I can jail is d4 which isn't that great and doesn't lead to a combo if it catches them pressing buttons.

Hidan

Where the hell is Reiko's wheel kick
good stuff, too bad though that his best variation is him being a manicurist and not tigrar fury (sry couldn't hold it, I can't have him stabbing instead of punching)

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Awesome guide man, I picked up DF recently so this will help. One question, how do you utilize EX bf2 vs small hitbox chars who can make 121 whiff midscreen? Feels like best I can jail is d4 which isn't that great and doesn't lead to a combo if it catches them pressing buttons.
Best thing to do is to walk back and whiff punish a counter poke with F3.

Solomon Gorondy

Should Goro be top 5?
I have a question; how does Goro anti-air an opponent when he has previously crouched?
-Up1 and Up2 will come out as a Stomp (Down-UP) resulting in full combo punish for the input error.
-D2 is slow, way too slow
-Fang Spin doesn't consistantly juggle even if you spend the meter.

Last edited:

Solomon Gorondy

Should Goro be top 5?
Frankly I believe the input for Stomp should be Down-Down-3. This would prevent Goro's Up1 input error from happening after Goro has been crouching. I originally thought changing Up1 input to F1 might work but that just causes more input errors where you want to anti-air but get a fireball.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
I have a question; how does Goro anti-air an opponent when he has previously previously crouched?
-Up1 and Up2 will come out as a Stomp (Down-UP) resulting in full combo punish for the input error.
-D2 is slow, way too slow
-NJP is a read not a reaction, in my experience at least
-Fang Spin doesn't consistantly juggle even if you spend the meter.
Frankly I believe the input for Stomp should be Down-Down-3. This would prevent Goro's Up1 input error from happening after Goro has been crouching. I originally thought changing Up1 input to F1 might work but that just causes more input errors where you want to anti-air but get a fireball.
D1 is a good option, but only against certain characters. Either d1 or just EX Telestomp.

Espio

Kokomo
Good to see more content, but something to note: The SECOND hit of 2,1,2 is an overhead. The last hit is a mid.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Nice guide dude. I'd love to do a FT5-10 with you. You've played my SDJC, but not my Bartitsu...You wont. Win. ONCE.

:DOGE

Who am I kidding, you'll win every match. Fucking Bo Rai Cho...

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Hi, How do you deal with zoners like Quan Cheese and HQT?
ex tele stomp?.
I can see how the kuatan variation is able to counter zone, but for DF, what is the strategy to compete with them?

Thank for all the videos and effort. It is really good.
Have to make correct reads, it's tough to say the least man.

Espio

Kokomo
Hi, How do you deal with zoners like Quan Cheese and HQT?
ex tele stomp?.
I can see how the kuatan variation is able to counter zone, but for DF, what is the strategy to compete with them?

Thank for all the videos and effort. It is really good.
Ex low stab reaches at round start so if you can get in that neutral range you have a +12 armored attack that if they block you can start your pressure and if they don't you knock them down and can start making them guess. Back 1,2,1 is good at armor breaking Predator and if he wakes up and simply blocks, it's still your turn. Quan Chi is also very vulnerable to offense since his armor escape options are low damage and not insanely daunting to stuff.

Abuse 2,1,2 as well because it's a high chip, great stagger string for throws, extending pressuring and the complete string helps send them to the corner while keeping you at advantage. You can also threat in footsie range with forward 3 to check them.

Goro in any variation should NOT bother trying to zone our counter zone them, just walk, block, duck, periodic armor attempts and get in. Even some zoning specialty characters like Kitana cannot effectively or reliably counter zone HQT Predator, focus on what Goro's good at doing against them.

Don't rely on ex telestomp or regular telestomp either, you often times give up more than what you get with telestomp so it's better to treat it more like Doomsday's super nova where it may have uses (like anti-airing people trying to cross up easily, but shouldn't really be focused on as a get in strategy.

Trying to beat them at their own game isn't a viable tactic for any Goro variation, but Goro can beat them at his game. Hopefully that helps somewhat.