What's new

Competitive PC scene

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
IDK, starting to feel like I might have this thing. I may be a no show tomorrow depending.

On the plus side, I got canned so I can probably run morning, weekday sets with @Hellbringer for the next couple of weeks.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
IDK, starting to feel like I might have this thing. I may be a no show tomorrow depending.

On the plus side, I got canned so I can probably run morning, weekday sets with @Hellbringer for the next couple of weeks.
I gotta go back to work next week, making sure all the foodstores and hospitals etc. get their food ;)

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Any of you hombres have even a mediocre Kollector?

There is no character that jacks me up as bad. I've beaten maybe 2 ever that had no idea how the game worked. Outside of that never, ever, ever. Sometimes double flawlessed. Usually a total and compete massacre. No other character in the game comes even remotely close to being as universally difficult to me. He has his own shelf about 4 shelves up from everyone else.

I need to actually be able to play against it for more than a couple of matches.

There is no character that jacks me up as bad. I've beaten maybe 2 ever that had no idea how the game worked. Outside of that never, ever, ever. Sometimes double flawlessed. Usually a total and compete massacre. No other character in the game comes even remotely close to being as universally difficult to me. He has his own shelf about 4 shelves up from everyone else.

I need to actually be able to play against it for more than a couple of matches.
lets practice together with actually using him to learn? i struggle alot vs him aswel usually. best way to find out his weaknesses is to try him out yourself? holla at me on steam if you're up for it

DeftMonk

Noob

bro before I took a break from mk11 kollector was the only dude that just mopped me randomly. He is also the only char I never really labbed out that hard tho other than sonya (which wasnt necessary because at release I fought sonya more often than I say curse words. I have a filthy mouth. If u start rockin kollector or find someone who does lets run some koth

DeftMonk

Noob
lets practice together with actually using him to learn? i struggle alot vs him aswel usually. best way to find out his weaknesses is to try him out yourself? holla at me on steam if you're up for it
That method only really works bro if u run into opponents that have in depth mu knowledge and u learn from their responses. 2 guys that have no idea how to deal with kollector playing each other is like 2 guys with no legs tryin to learn how to run by trial and error as a team.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
That's some of the irony. He was the first character I used, but I couldn't ever get comfortable with using him. That was a long time ago.

I try to have a 3rd character to use to try and get that understanding. I'm kind of losing my grip on my #2 though because I'm not actually playing my characters as much.

I am down though.

ggs. That game is so fast. Good thing I had a couple of days of KI insanity to prepare me.

Took 15 min just to remember how to run.
I still enjoy Mortal Kombat XL. While I enjoy Mortal Kombat 11, I overall enjoy it more.

I also saw you've been playing a good bit of Killer Instinct. How are you liking it? What characters are you learning? Have you checked out Infil's guide?

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Um, I have very mixed feelings about KI.

It's probably my favorite to watch and I kept up with the last year and a half of its competitive life. The overall presentation and design of a lot of the characters is really strong. I've only played one person but it feels like it's probably better online than MK11. It's had a decent player pool all along from what I gather, even outside of the past few days where it seems to be getting some momentum again (It surged for a few days like 6 months ago too, so this isn't the first time). However, playing, spectating, and appreciating are different things.

I originally labbed it for a couple of days, and couldn't get my head around the combo system. After taking another shot at it, I've been able to kind of get past that, but it's still super awkward. It's largely the same across cast, but it seems like they all have some quirk that prevents you from transferring your muscle memory from on to another, like Saburwulf being able to inject extra auto doubles, or Hisako being able to delay the second hit of M/H auto doubles.

There are a lot of ways to open people up and get them comboed. Then you have to continue to be very active mentally during combos since they aren't set, they can be broken, since they can be counter broken. It makes the game very taxing. It's a game where you have to constantly guess about what is going to beat what, and it's all happening on turbo. It's very young man's game in that, so maybe 25 years ago.

I generally just don't like fast, full nutty in my fighting games. I'm sick to death of hearing about Marvel. I don't like tag games, I don't like full on insanity. I like MK11 that gives me more focused lines of thought and a week to hit confirm Kit's b14; which I still somehow manage to not confirm on the regular.

That said, I think once I really got DOA it turned into my favorite fighter, and I could say a lot of the same things about it that I do about KI. You don't have set combo routes, your combos can almost always get broken, you never get a metal break (unless someone is airborn), and you are constantly thrust into trying to out read the other player. There is a lot of overlap, so I don't fully get why it works in one and not another. The fact that it works in one that nobody plays, vs the other that lots of people play, has great netcode, and is artistically more impressive is a bit annoying. They do feel like very different experiences though.

I may mash in KI on occasion, because it has such a strong and enduring cool factor to it, but I really don't expect to play it much or very often. If for no other reason that there are just too many games already that I can't get good at. I just payed $100 a couple weeks back for Granblue so would like to get my coin out of it at some point, but it's hard to even get a good connection despite having players. It may not have players 6 months from now, so how long a window do I have to do that?

I have all the games, and even living by myself with no job, and playing with few stops there are too many. Have to make hard decisions on what I can play realistically. Everything from what can I get good at, how many people are playing, how much effort will it take, and how is the netcode, are all weighing factors.

I'd rather focus on MK11 and SC6. Unfortunately, SC6 is feeling pretty quiet and you are basically at risk of running into tournament players every time you play, but MK11 still has a fair number of players (at least on PS4. PC is becoming another matter). I still can't micro-duck, I need to less lazy about hit confirms, I'm not always considering my position, and my flawless blocks are really rough at times. There is plenty to try and work on in MK, and a lot of it is stuff that doesn't boil down to out thinking people.

@Gooberking Absolutely. I also live alone and am unemployed at the moment, and I too pick and choose what I'll play since otherwise, there's still too many video games! Focusing on games you want to get good at, having a few casual games, not bothering with all the rest makes 100% sense.

For me and fighting games, I'm only playing Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct right now. For Killer Instinct, you're describing a character's Combo Trait, each of which is different. The game is indeed very mentally taxing as you're never taking a break ever, since the only time you can't do something is if you get yourself locked out, and even that's a short window.

Have you disabled Combo Assist in it, or have you left it on? As an older gamer myself, I find it very, very helpful. The Combo system is actually pretty simple: Opener, Auto Double, Linker, repeat until you max out your CV Metre and Blow Out, you get Broken (without Counter Breaking), you get Shadow Countered, or you perform an Ender.

I focus on doing an opener, and then I let Combo Assist help me with the Auto Doubles and Linkers so I don't have to worry about quarter circle motions, then I manually perform my own Ender and, if I'm feeling lucky or have a good read on my opponent's tendencies, a Counter Breaker. I'll also throw in the occasional manual.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
When i played KI i loved playing jago. I dont remember how they called it but there was some thing where u could do a button into linker into button to make it much harder to break. I should get back into the game was really fun.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
Um, I have very mixed feelings about KI.

It's probably my favorite to watch and I kept up with the last year and a half of its competitive life. The overall presentation and design of a lot of the characters is really strong. I've only played one person but it feels like it's probably better online than MK11. It's had a decent player pool all along from what I gather, even outside of the past few days where it seems to be getting some momentum again (It surged for a few days like 6 months ago too, so this isn't the first time). However, playing, spectating, and appreciating are different things.

I originally labbed it for a couple of days, and couldn't get my head around the combo system. After taking another shot at it, I've been able to kind of get past that, but it's still super awkward. It's largely the same across cast, but it seems like they all have some quirk that prevents you from transferring your muscle memory from on to another, like Saburwulf being able to inject extra auto doubles, or Hisako being able to delay the second hit of M/H auto doubles.

There are a lot of ways to open people up and get them comboed. Then you have to continue to be very active mentally during combos since they aren't set, they can be broken, since they can be counter broken. It makes the game very taxing. It's a game where you have to constantly guess about what is going to beat what, and it's all happening on turbo. It's very young man's game in that, so maybe 25 years ago.

I generally just don't like fast, full nutty in my fighting games. I'm sick to death of hearing about Marvel. I don't like tag games, I don't like full on insanity. I like MK11 that gives me more focused lines of thought and a week to hit confirm Kit's b14; which I still somehow manage to not confirm on the regular.

That said, I think once I really got DOA it turned into my favorite fighter, and I could say a lot of the same things about it that I do about KI. You don't have set combo routes, your combos can almost always get broken, you never get a metal break (unless someone is airborn), and you are constantly thrust into trying to out read the other player. There is a lot of overlap, so I don't fully get why it works in one and not another. The fact that it works in one that nobody plays, vs the other that lots of people play, has great netcode, and is artistically more impressive is a bit annoying. They do feel like very different experiences though.

I may mash in KI on occasion, because it has such a strong and enduring cool factor to it, but I really don't expect to play it much or very often. If for no other reason that there are just too many games already that I can't get good at. I just payed $100 a couple weeks back for Granblue so would like to get my coin out of it at some point, but it's hard to even get a good connection despite having players. It may not have players 6 months from now, so how long a window do I have to do that?

I have all the games, and even living by myself with no job, and playing with few stops there are too many. Have to make hard decisions on what I can play realistically. Everything from what can I get good at, how many people are playing, how much effort will it take, and how is the netcode, are all weighing factors.

I'd rather focus on MK11 and SC6. Unfortunately, SC6 is feeling pretty quiet and you are basically at risk of running into tournament players every time you play, but MK11 still has a fair number of players (at least on PS4. PC is becoming another matter). I still can't micro-duck, I need to less lazy about hit confirms, I'm not always considering my position, and my flawless blocks are really rough at times. There is plenty to try and work on in MK, and a lot of it is stuff that doesn't boil down to out thinking people.
if you ever want to learn Ki Feel free to message me (if you are using the cross play ver. cause I Play xbox) as I have played since launch
and Ki is actually growing atm! No need fear for it dying, Unless Ki"2" comes out

Immortal

Blind justice....
Combo assist
No, the thing he's talking about is called manual, since you input button, linker, button, linker etc as you go it was way harder break since you avoided doing auto doubles otherwise which pretty much everybody broke at higher level (thou some people used it to bait you into counter-breaker).

Also Fulgore was and always will be love.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
No, the thing he's talking about is called manual, since you input button, linker, button, linker etc as you go it was way harder break since you avoided doing auto doubles otherwise which pretty much everybody broke at higher level (thou some people used it to bait you into counter-breaker).

yep this one

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God

OHHH I misread my bad XD

if you ever want to learn Ki Feel free to message me (if you are using the cross play ver. cause I Play xbox) as I have played since launch
and Ki is actually growing atm! No need fear for it dying, Unless Ki"2" comes out
He has the Steam version, so there is partial cross play (I believe private matches and Exhibition, no Ranked).