What's new

Strategy Community Guide to overcoming fundamental Nightwing Problems

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Another thought. When guaranteed damage is on the table you have to take it. When on the frame, meter burn staff spin into standing one staff spin is a guaranteed 14% chip.

If after a hard knockdown, you can get them to respect your pressure, you can instantly go into this sequence for an extra 14% on top of any combo. A 34% meterless combo becomes 48% if this works. You also build three fourths of the bar you spent back in the process. This means if you use one bar of meter in your combo, you can then increase your damage to 38% or 40% plus the 14% chip meaning your total damage is over 50%.

I have less and less respect for ground spark cancel pressure When guaranteed damage is on the table like this. Ground spark cancels do literally half of a percent chip and build half as much meter as staff spin. It also has blaring holes that can easily get you poked and end your pressure.

#gspressureisdumb

Carry on
Be wary, some characters get to duck that standing 1 :(

Also, what you are saying is not mutually exclusive. You can easily do a ground spark cancel into another string (33) into staff spin.

The mixups come from getting your opponent expecting one thing, and delivering another. Escrima is for left to right mixups, and to get them to hold back, Staff is for the chip/checking their toes.

Want to know where I have found Staff ground pounds the most deadly? About a character length away because they are holding back to get away from you.

Ideally, we would want to be doing exactly what fly said. Maximizing all block strings for chip damage or confirming to a full combo...everytime. If you are dealing with supes, Sinestro, Zod, Zatanna, Shazam, and any other characters with good zoning or wakeups, this strategy becomes very hard to implement. Nightwing has a large cast of characters he can just fuck over on wakeup, but he also has a few characters that make it almost impossible for him to function.

Once you get balls deep with Nightwing a lot of matches become chase, chase, chase, block string, get pushblocked, chase chase chase

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
This. So much this.

Once again I am stuck with a fair char in a game of dirt lol
I see what you're saying but also have to say that when A character uses all their meter for push block, once you catch them it's a lot easier to stay on top of them and do lots of chip damage. I'm okay with just doing chip damage if I get 15% every time. Plus, I'll always have Meijer

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I see what you're saying but also have to say that when A character uses all their meter for push block, once you catch them it's a lot easier to stay on top of them and do lots of chip damage. I'm okay with just doing chip damage if I get 15% every time. Plus, I'll always have Meijer
Oh for sure, but Nightwings hard matchups are against the characters who have no problem spending a bar for pushblock. He doesn't have much problems with everyone else.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
What will you do against Zod, Zatanna, Cyborg, Ares, Harley, Raven, Deathstroke, Sinestro etc when they can just pushblock for free most of the time, the last 3 even get a 50/50 after they push you.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
What will you do against Zod, Zatanna, Cyborg, Ares, Harley, Raven, Deathstroke, Sinestro etc when they can just pushblock for free most of the time, the last 3 even get a 50/50 after they push you.
You get it.

These characters are really his only truly hard matchups (add on superman as well).

They all excel by running away from Nightwing. They get away for free off of a pushblock.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
You get it.

These characters are really his only truly hard matchups (add on superman as well).

They all excel by running away from Nightwing. They get away for free off of a pushblock.
I'm not saying if they are 7-3 or not. Just saying they can abuse pushblock.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
Another thought. When guaranteed damage is on the table you have to take it. When on the frame, meter burn staff spin into standing one staff spin is a guaranteed 14% chip.

If after a hard knockdown, you can get them to respect your pressure, you can instantly go into this sequence for an extra 14% on top of any combo. A 34% meterless combo becomes 48% if this works. You also build three fourths of the bar you spent back in the process. This means if you use one bar of meter in your combo, you can then increase your damage to 38% or 40% plus the 14% chip meaning your total damage is over 50%.

I have less and less respect for ground spark cancel pressure When guaranteed damage is on the table like this. Ground spark cancels do literally half of a percent chip and build half as much meter as staff spin. It also has blaring holes that can easily get you poked and end your pressure.

#gspressureisdumb

Carry on
By ground spark pressure do you mean after a landed b2?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
You get it.

Agreed. Also remember I will counterpick with cyborg or scorpion or Grundy if I find a match up too difficult. I'm just trying to find ways to improve the Nightwing meta-game

Jeremy KO

*insert kotal kahn gibberish here*
I heard over the weekend at apex that staff d2 shuts down sinestro midscreen.

granted he may have been a crazy homeless guy who may have wandered into the event but i couldn't really tell.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Agreed. Also remember I will counterpick with cyborg or scorpion or Grundy if I find a match up too difficult. I'm just trying to find ways to improve the Nightwing meta-game
Scorp is definitely a solid second for him. I feel Nightwing can contend with everyone except the zoners. He just doesn't have the tools to contend with them.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I'll pick NW in that MU.

Staff wrecks her

I may change my mind after kit though. PPJ in my pool
No, it doesn't. Mark my words man. If you go play PPJ with staff mode and expect to win...you got another thing coming. Her d1 beats yours, and she will make you jump 2...a lot.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
No, it doesn't. Mark my words man. If you go play PPJ with staff mode and expect to win...you got another thing coming. Her d1 beats yours, and she will make you jump 2...a lot.
I didn't say that I expect to win. I still have a lot to learn in this MU.

It's my best bet between scorp and Grundy. Plus I know that my range in staff mixed with well placed wing dings will force her to zone. If I can get my space and play patient, I'll feel confident.

#backblownout

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I didn't say that I expect to win. I still have a lot to learn in this MU.

It's my best bet between scorp and Grundy. Plus I know that my range in staff mixed with well placed wing dings will force her to zone. If I can get my space and play patient, I'll feel confident.

#backblownout
Lol, I am not saying this shit to bring you down btw!

I just want you to be prepared. I cheer for all Nightwings in tourney. Just don't expect staff to be the answer to hawkgirl. You are going to have to chase ALL DAY in that matchup and she will get up for practically free.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Lol, I am not saying this shit to bring you down btw!

I just want you to be prepared. I cheer for all Nightwings in tourney. Just don't expect staff to be the answer to hawkgirl. You are going to have to chase ALL DAY in that matchup and she will get up for practically free.
That last part is what I disagree with. MC is my bitch!