What's new

Guide - Spectral Come fly with me. Spectral Guide & Tech Thread (WIP)

Nausea

Soul Ascended
Ermac - Spectral Guide & Tech Video Thread

Currently a work in progress but I thought I would make a fresh thread to discuss all things Spectral given the recent 4-10-16 patch. In the process of making a few short guide videos outlining his optimal combos/punishes/setups etc. Will add annotations & other useful information in spoiler sections once more video content has been created! Any thread postings with helpful information that is not currently known will be added below. Will try to finish before the week is out, but for now, please discuss :)
SA = Soul Ascension (DU+BLK)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mid-Screen (Meterless)
(B3 Starter, F21, F3 etc to be added later)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corner Game (Meterless)
B3, SA, 1234, DB2 - 25% (Vortex) (Not featured due to B3, 234 being much more consistent.)
Annotations for other useful combos to be added later.
Meter Usage and Optimization (Mid-Screen)
Meter Usage and Optimization (Corner)
Set-Ups/Armor Tech
Anti-Air Conversions
Misc Tech/Advanced Meta
Idea - @smokey Video Credit - @Scott The Scot
The premise behind this is to use SAD3 when the opponent is waking up to attain + frames. More detail/setups to follow.
Current setup that I have found -
Any starter (F4, B3, B12 etc) (1)234, EXSB, B12, B12, F34. SA & time D3 accordingly as above.
Video Credit - @smokey
For @Wigy <3

Last edited:

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Was in the lab for a bit testing how to make the SA D3 hit meaty and you can definitely get it consistently.
I only have a quick greasy video for proof of concept but if you splat with an air superman in the corner, dash immediately forward and buffer in a SA D3 you will get a nice meaty setup.

F3 is 11 frames and beating spin so in this vid im around +4, but you have 11 active frames so i think you could potentially get this to be like +9 or 10 if you go meaty enough.

When testing against techroll i had mixed results. It lands even more meaty if they techroll, so you get more + on block, but every now and then the techroll just avoids it completely. I didnt test it super extensively because its going to come down to a difference of a few frames, based on execution and height that you splat them or whatever, but its consistently hitting meaty so at worst you are -1 so take it or leave it.

If opponent is grounded when you superman splat them you dont have time to dash, but doing a SA D3 instantly hits meaty too. Again its all variance of a few frames so my video is just for proof of concept and not enough of a real setup to comment on, at worst you are -1 again though.

Note that non meaty slam is +2 on hit so the meatier you go the more you get.

Nausea

Soul Ascended
Anti Air conversions updated in OP. Was a but sceptical of putting this together because everyone plays and reacts differently but these are my preferred goto choices.
Each conversion is optimised for damage output but can be ended and performed differently depending on your particular style of play. Some of which, will be shown in the final video I have planned for a miscellaneous tech compilation to highlight what I may have skipped or not included so far.

*against. Can't believe I missed that typo FailFish

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Anti Air conversions updated in OP. Was a but sceptical of putting this together because everyone plays and reacts differently but these are my preferred goto choices.
Each conversion is optimised for damage output but can be ended and performed differently depending on your particular style of play. Some of which, will be shown in the final video I have planned for a miscellaneous tech compilation to highlight what I may have skipped or not included so far.

Mate that's a GREAT video, good shit. I liked that you covered certain jump attacks/specific AA situations. Top notch! Bravo!

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Hey Guys, @Nausea

Its been really a long while since I had a day when I decided to expand the Ermac/Spectral abilities.
I know I was so into it while I go but believe me the divorce with Hat Trick is a pain.

Now, I need some support. What now do when we hit with f3.
Whats the confirmation after afte d1, ex lift ? or there is a better option ?

Whats the fallow up after mex range f4 into ex tele ?
Whats te fallow up after max b3 range ?

It seams to me that range dictates fallow ups.

Please advise.

Nausea

Soul Ascended
Hey Guys, @Nausea

Its been really a long while since I had a day when I decided to expand the Ermac/Spectral abilities.
I know I was so into it while I go but believe me the divorce with Hat Trick is a pain.

You can always try to confirm B12 off of F3 but it's really tight. Like 1 or 2 frames. If you use F3 to catch them jumping however it's a little easier due to the increased height.

Normally I would F3, D1, EX Lift and get the opponent as close to the corner as I could. Meter dependant of course but Spectral builds a ton of that anyway!

Max range F4 can be confirmed into Soul Ascension 1234 string but again, it's a tight link. At max range, Soul Ascension 3 would be your best bet due to its range. EXtele is too unsafe but if that's a path you wanna walk you can F4, EXtele, F21D2, F3, BF2 for max corner carry.

B3 is even trickier. B3 only links in to Soul Ascension 3 so at max range this could be difficult to pull off. I'd usually just go for the B34 or B321 mix up or just stagger the B3 into pressure.

Hope I helped ;) Anything else man, my DM's are always open for Spectral questions :D

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Hey Guys, @Nausea

Whats the fallow up after mex range f4 into ex tele ?
Whats te fallow up after max b3 range ?

It seams to me that range dictates fallow ups.

Please advise.
If F3 hits point blank you can follow up with B12 but it only works on male characters and may also be effected if they were hit in a crouching state. For the sake of consistency the best you can get without spending meter is F3, D1~BF2.

For a mid with the threat of a meterless full combo you have to use F2 more. It's a little slower compared to F3 (13 frames) but F2~SA is +9 on block and jails into meterless air blast/can be confirmed into SA2,3~Tele on hit. Compliments F21~SA, F2D2, F21D2 pretty well.

Do you mean F4~EX tele in the middle of a combo? Cause I'm not sure why you would use F4~EX tele as a combo starter lol.

If B3~SA hits the opponent really far out I just cancel straight into BF2 or D3, but someone might know of better options in that situation than me.

Saltea Moonspell

If F3 hits point blank you can follow up with B12 but it only works on male characters and may also be effected if they were hit in a crouching state. For the sake of consistency the best you can get without spending meter is F3, D1~BF2.

For a mid with the threat of a meterless full combo you have to use F2 more. It's a little slower compared to F3 (13 frames) but F2~SA is +9 on block and jails into meterless air blast/can be confirmed into SA2,3~Tele on hit. Compliments F21~SA, F2D2, F21D2 pretty well.

Do you mean F4~EX tele in the middle of a combo? Cause I'm not sure why you would use F4~EX tele as a combo starter lol.

If B3~SA hits the opponent really far out I just cancel straight into BF2 or D3, but someone might know of better options in that situation than me.

Hey man,

Thank a lot for the tips. I will transition to f2 as recommended.

When I mentioned F4 I thought the max ranged f4 is best canceled into ex tele. But it seams there are other better options.

Keep in mind that I Am just getting to know this character/variation.

Saltea Moonspell

You can always try to confirm B12 off of F3 but it's really tight. Like 1 or 2 frames. If you use F3 to catch them jumping however it's a little easier due to the increased height.

Normally I would F3, D1, EX Lift and get the opponent as close to the corner as I could. Meter dependant of course but Spectral builds a ton of that anyway!

Max range F4 can be confirmed into Soul Ascension 1234 string but again, it's a tight link. At max range, Soul Ascension 3 would be your best bet due to its range. EXtele is too unsafe but if that's a path you wanna walk you can F4, EXtele, F21D2, F3, BF2 for max corner carry.

B3 is even trickier. B3 only links in to Soul Ascension 3 so at max range this could be difficult to pull off. I'd usually just go for the B34 or B321 mix up or just stagger the B3 into pressure.

Hope I helped ;) Anything else man, my DM's are always open for Spectral questions :D

Thanks a lot Nausea. I will get back to you'll soon.

Error

DF2+R2

If I AA someone in the corner with b1/f3/d4 I like to follow up with b12SA 1 1 1 1234xxbf2

I don't recall, but was there a patch change that affected B3xxSA on hit or was SA 3 always the only follow up midscreen?

Saltea Moonspell

Okay, so it seams I've got hold of the basics. The f4,f21,2 into SA fallow ups are rather easy. But I have the feeling like not always I will be able to go with all the 4 hits. But I guess what really matters is the consistency.

The f4 starts give 42% meterless with is devastating. The f21 fallow up is decent. And the string nature allows staggers and easy confirmation. The B3 still remains a problem but its just the muscle memory I dont have yet.

Its really cool that both, regular and ex tele allows for follow ups.

The b1 into tele AA are super cool - love'em.

The biggest mystery in being successful Spectral is forming good pressure system.

There are some plus frames that I dont know yet how to exploit from pokes and the SA cancel - I know REO provided a video but I dont know if that is up to date.

There is the b1 ? (Charge) I wonder how that plays. I was thinkin' of applying it on HK.

I dont really plan on spending much that I barely have but the Spectral choice gave me a fresh breath on the game that I bare play anymore.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Okay, so it seams I've got hold of the basics. The f4,f21,2 into SA fallow ups are rather easy. But I have the feeling like not always I will be able to go with all the 4 hits. But I guess what really matters is the consistency.

The f4 starts give 42% meterless with is devastating. The f21 fallow up is decent. And the string nature allows staggers and easy confirmation. The B3 still remains a problem but its just the muscle memory I dont have yet.

Its really cool that both, regular and ex tele allows for follow ups.

The b1 into tele AA are super cool - love'em.

The biggest mystery in being successful Spectral is forming good pressure system.

There are some plus frames that I dont know yet how to exploit from pokes and the SA cancel - I know REO provided a video but I dont know if that is up to date.

There is the b1 ? (Charge) I wonder how that plays. I was thinkin' of applying it on HK.

I dont really plan on spending much that I barely have but the Spectral choice gave me a fresh breath on the game that I bare play anymore.
From my testing blockstrings into Soul Ascension roughly have the following frames:

B12~SA: +2
2~SA: 0
22~SA: 0
222~SA: +8
F2~SA: +9
F21~SA: 0
F3~SA: +2
B3~SA: +8
F4~SA: 0
B2~SA: Varies with how long you charge it.

There are others but I don't think any of them are useful.

How did you get 42% meterless from F4 by the way? The highest I have in the current patch is 40%.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
@Nausea @Ragnarök Tyr Are there any tips or tricks to getting a raw, grounded SA to come out consistently? I'm doing it fast as shit, only getting it about half the time. End up just neutral jumping or stand blocking quite a bit. Thanks.