What's new

Strategy Combos - Offline vs Online

webreg

Noob
I think it's quite common knowledge, that online and offline play are very different to each other concerning reliability of execution, punishment and reaction. Therefore tactics, gameplan and ultimately combos have to be different as well. I'd rather successfully combo for 30% than dropping 40%. Easier execution is better in an online environment.

Now my question. What are the bread and butter combos for online play that you use or would use. Smoke is a rather inconvenient character for online play because all of his combos involve timing and correct altitude. Which combos are most reliable while still retaining good damage?

webreg

Noob
Here is what I use and hopefully you can tell me how to squeeze in more damage without making it unstable:

Hit with smoke bomb: 3d12, ff, 32, jk~airthrow
Scrub combo but it does good damage and I have yet to drop it. The 32 is the weak link because if the game happens to stutter right there or you have significant delay you might miss it.

Mid screen: b23~bomb, 3d12, jk~airthrow
I could add the 32 to it but I seem to drop that sometimes because the opponents weight level is at stage two at this moment and the window is tighter. Alternatives?

Corner: 214~bomb, 32, 32, (32), 214
Depending on the current connection quality I do the 32 two or three times. I'm rarely in the situation to execute this so my experience with alternatives is low and I'd appreciate any and all feedback on the matter.

Check my post in the Smoke Combo Thread.

Smoke's combos aren't very hard to do online, the timing is just a bit different because you have to account for lag. Generally you'll be doing actions a split second faster than you would offline. If you're just doing a BnB and not trying to be flixible with your juggle for whatever purpose (positioning, etc) then they're all as easy as just doing them a bunch of times and committing them to muscle memory so your fingers just *do* the combo without you having to worry about their altitude when you hit them.

Random Smoke bomb hit: 3d12 > 3d12 > jk xx air throw. That's your best damaging combo in that scenario. ezpz online

Your b23 starter at midscreen is fine. Like you said, a 32 rght before the jk airthrow is possible, but it's one of the most difficult links smoke has excluding his resets. I generally don't go for that one, either, however I haven't really practiced it. Should probably do that.

Corner: do the third 32. It's really not difficult, I promise. Just go into practice mode and kick the dummy into the corner. Alternatively if you start off with 3d12, follow with njp > 32 > 32 > 32 > d1 xx bomb > 214 for (i'm 90% sure) the same damage as the full 214 wall combo.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I keep my combos the same for online. If the lag is so bad that it's impossible to adjust for I just won't play that person again.

also, an easier b23 bnb:

b23 > smoke bomb > 32 > 3d12 > f4 - 35%

you can follow this with an EX smoke bomb for f+4 lottery or you can whiff tp if you buffer out of f4. Even though f4 is a techable knockdown, the whiffed tp will actually happen before they hit the ground giving you just as much, if not more, advantage than after a jkick/air throw > whiffed tp combo ender.