What's new

Video/Tutorial - Grandmaster Comboing off of Clone Toss & Shatter

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
This is what you can do against button happy opponents if you catch them with a clone toss. Working on midscreen stuff as well.

These are 2 mixups you can apply in the corner
B33 into shatter is interruptible by armoured moves but the shattered clone breaks the opponent's armour and grants you a free 20% if they try to do so. This is achieved by doing B33 shatter from any distance that isn't point blank. Kung Lao's EX spin ( video coming ) punishes you if you do it point blank, gets punished if you do it from any other distance. This makes your low option 100% safe.

On block, your shatter has huge pushback to where KL's EX spin won't reach you, same with any other move.

B2 is punishable by most characters.

Credit for the concept of comboing via a shattered ice clone goes to @MysticBoudha and this is how you can viably apply it and make Subzero's corner game much safer and asphyxiating.

Last edited:

PwnStar

Noob
Toying around some more. There are definitely safe ways to set up clone smash clones off of combos without losing much damage. My issue mainly is that the dialing the distance is often awkward and telegraphs rather hard. Going for the clone smash set up generally means you have to commit to beating their wake up to use it...but I did crack 54% (no meter) and 61% damage with it (3 meter).

Ways to set up clone smash combos
...any combo, land a clone freeze, tap to dial in desired distance, nj1, nj3 (late as possible), land clone. So practice dialing in the distance (like literally just tap forward in increments or run to body then tap back. I haven't translated the clone freeze vs standing distance yet.)

In testing against opponent sub in corner, flush, both standing...most set ups are three taps away. 24 however can be done closer one or two taps and is probably going to be the most practical way to set it up. 24 pushes you close and puts the opponent higher on hit to allow for combo. So practical combos:
  • clone set up (1-3 taps away), fj2, 24~smash, b12~clone, nj1, fj1, 123~slide
  • clone set up (3 taps away), slight step forward, b2, 4~smash, 1, b12~clone, nj1, fj1, 123~slide
  • clone set up (3 taps away), fj2, b12~smash, b12~clone, nj1, fj1, 123~slide
  • clone set up (3 taps away), fj2, b33~smash, b12~clone, nj1, fj1, 123~slide
Of course with all of these you can tag on an X-Ray move after clone freeze or nj1:

clone set up (3 taps away), slight step forward, b2, 4~smash, 1, b12~clone, nj1, X-RAY = 61% (you can actually omit the 1 and NJ1 and still get 61%)

Corner Clone Freeze Tips
Also found more helpful things with clone freeze since it can get finicky and not work sometimes. b12, 1, d1, 11, 3, and 4 all have practical use in various set ups.
  • b12 is your go to in most everything, but different heights require adjustments. Raw, you typically want their body chest height. Use 1 and d1 as you see fit to better improve this and slightly space you out. Falling bodies will also push you and these can delay the body on the way down to set it up. Early in combos I like to do: 1, d1, b12. It seems the most reliable but requires little hit stun, but fast follow up. EX: b2, b2, 1, d1, b12, etc...
  • 11 can be used very late in combos, particularly after a 242. EX: b2, b2, 242, 11~clone, etc...
  • 3 is weird... but in early combos it can be more reliable than poking various 1's, d1's, to space for b12. EX: b12~EX smash, b2, 3~clone,etc...
  • The most practical use of 4 is listed in the previous combo above. It does highest damage for a single move that can be canceled.
As long as you haven't used a nj1 or freeze before clone, many of these can be helpful for augmenting a combo into a clone set up without sacrificing damage. EX: b2, b2, 242, 11~clone, nj1, nj3.

Updated into a more concise video.

This setup's safety after B33 shatter can be achieved after either a spaced F4 or a D4 into clone, hit or block does not matter.
Is it possible to go for a hard knd setup instead to set up another Clone in the Shatter combos?

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Yes, you can end with F12 and set up for a throw etc. The clone is really close, as usual.

Yes, not worth it because of the nature of shatter's scaling, your damage is already extremely good.
Also is there anyway to go for longer xray combos in general?

I tried JI2, B2,B2,D1,B12~clone then another string into xray whiffs...

Ahh alright, lastly is it possible to set up this spacing for the clone off the usual hard knockdown setups like the combos in the Grandmaster thread like ending in NJK?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Ahh alright, lastly is it possible to set up this spacing for the clone off the usual hard knockdown setups like the combos in the Grandmaster thread like ending in NJK?
The combo is not worth it because it the shatter is not properly spaced.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I see, so do ya use another combo then? Like a slide ender, backdash then clone?
I've come to the conclusion that it's not worth it to sacrifice your already amazing setup in the corner just to set up shatter mixups.

Since you will eventually do a F4/D4 clone against an opponent, you will already have the chance to do it in those situations.

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
I see, so do ya use another combo then? Like a slide ender, backdash then clone?
I've come to the conclusion that it's not worth it to sacrifice your already amazing setup in the corner just to set up shatter mixups.

Since you will eventually do a F4/D4 clone against an opponent, you will already have the chance to do it in those situations.
B33xxclone shatter, 1, 112 is a HKD and leaves you very close. It does 35%. If you want a HKD to set up something that requires proximity wouldn't this be desirable for example? At that close range a D4 clone is close enough to catch their fall on a successful b2 which can again be NJ HKD into clone for a little more damage and a clone at the end of it all.