What's new

Combo Breaker 2019 Top 8 Set!

Mortal Kombat 11 at Combo Breaker has proven to be an excellent showcase in gameplay with perhaps the most diverse competition we've had so early on in an NRS title with representatives from all over the world including Australia, The Netherlands, Canada, and many more! Competition has been consistently fierce from pools to top 24 play and the momentum hasn't slowed down.

Winner’s Top 8
Scar (Sonya/Scorpion)
Foxy (Cassie Cage)
Tweedy (Baraka)
Semijj (Kitana)

Loser’s Top 8
SonicFox (Jacqui/Erron Black)
Big D (Cetrion)
Dragon (Cetrion)
Deoxys (Geras)

Check out all the action at 7:30 P.M. Central (8:30 P.M. Eastern)

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree - I think FT2 ended up working very well, especially for the viewer, for everything leading up to top 8. Top 8 needs to be FT3, but FT2 actually gave pool matches stakes and made more sense for a tournament with that many entrants.
I think bo3 is actually ideal from a spectators pov since there's nothing hype about watching Johnnydonuts415 and Tommy from timbucktwo whiff d2's in each other's faces for 3-5 games straight, but it sucks for competitors since it doesn't give them as much time to adjust and disregards the "better player wins the longer set" philosophy. Look at how many reverse 3-0's there were in tonight's top 8 that would've otherwise been denied in a ft2. Top 8 might've looked completely different if it was bo5 from the jump.

One thing this tourney showed me, especially during that Grand Finals, is just how important teching throws are in this game. In Mkx, it didn't feel as important because that game was 50/50s and double-digit plus frames for days anyway. But in MK11, it's such a crucial source of damage that being able to tech them reliably seriously increases your odds of outlasting your opponent.

Like, how many throws did Scar tech? How much damage did he deny Sonic Fox, and it was damn near down to the wire anyway?
Not to mention teching Jacqui's tech grab nearly every attempt. Absolutely amazing.

The most impressive thing in my opinion was just how reactive Scar was with everything. He stayed patient through SonicFox's constant stagger and grab pressure, all the while getting in small hits that he would instantly convert into good damage 95%+ of the time. He regularly read and blew up SF's pressure attempts. Absolutely amazing.
Sonic and Scar are gonna be the two players to watch here, not just because they placed first and second, but because they both seem to understand the game better than anyone else.

I think bo3 is actually ideal from a spectators pov since there's nothing hype about watching Johnnydonuts415 and Tommy from timbucktwo whiff d2's in each other's faces for 3-5 games straight, but it sucks for competitors since it doesn't give them as much time to adjust and disregards the "better player wins the longer set" philosophy. Look at how many reverse 3-0's there were in tonight's top 8 that would've otherwise been denied in a ft2. Top 8 might've looked completely different if it was bo5 from the jump.
That's why we have FT3 for top 8. What you say is true, but players also fundamentally change their approach in FT2s vs. FT3s, so it isn't comparable to point to reverse 3-0s and say that certain FT2 match outcomes would change if they had been FT3. Also, at the end of the day, most of the player people thought would make top 8 made it. I wouldn't say there were any real anomalies, which just shows that FT2 is a viable option, so why not use it when it makes sense, e.g. tournaments exactly like this were there are a ridiculous amount of entrants.

One thing this tourney showed me, especially during that Grand Finals, is just how important teching throws are in this game. In Mkx, it didn't feel as important because that game was 50/50s and double-digit plus frames for days anyway. But in MK11, it's such a crucial source of damage that being able to tech them reliably seriously increases your odds of outlasting your opponent.

Like, how many throws did Scar tech? How much damage did he deny Sonic Fox, and it was damn near down to the wire anyway?
Agreed, I need to practice that.

I know people are shook just as much as I am but there's always that extra mind game that it was the player vs player, not really just Skarlet. You can tell that Semiij was just in distraught after noticing that he chose a character that he's not very familiar with. The fact that they were in such a high pressure environment being in losers meant Semiij had to figure out the gameplan and you can tell that he was almost scared to do his usual setplays because Skarlet's range is so underrated and the fact that he kept healing meant a lot of Kitana's already mediocre damage was almost futile.

Insane mindgames for a month 1 game tournament and I LOVE it.
I’m sorry but what setplay are you referring to? Kitana doesn’t rely on setplay. She has some staggers and a throw game, but has no mix/vortex trap setups or setplay to speak of.

Kitana is about as honest a character that exists. The character is about spacing, whiff punishing and safety.

Did you guys noticed how Skar avoided so many grabs?
He’s impossible to throw. One of the absolute best at teching.

Big ups to scar he was on a different level. He’s beaten sonic in 2 competitive sets already.

Has sonic beaten scar in a competitive set in MK11 yet?

This is the rivalry we deserve.