What's new

Combo Breaker 2019 Top 8 Set!

Mortal Kombat 11 at Combo Breaker has proven to be an excellent showcase in gameplay with perhaps the most diverse competition we've had so early on in an NRS title with representatives from all over the world including Australia, The Netherlands, Canada, and many more! Competition has been consistently fierce from pools to top 24 play and the momentum hasn't slowed down.

Winner’s Top 8
Scar (Sonya/Scorpion)
Foxy (Cassie Cage)
Tweedy (Baraka)
Semijj (Kitana)

Loser’s Top 8
SonicFox (Jacqui/Erron Black)
Big D (Cetrion)
Dragon (Cetrion)
Deoxys (Geras)

Check out all the action at 7:30 P.M. Central (8:30 P.M. Eastern)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great tournament. Definitely not too much character variety, I saw more Sonya’s and Geras’ than I will ever want to see again, and I use Geras! But this is to be expected especially early on.

Rooting for Tweedy. He played extremely solid vs SonicFox. Perfect movement, perfect punishes, perfect decisions, etc. I love SF but I don’t want him to win. He needs to lose SOMETIMES, it’s good for the scene, lol.

Great tournament. Definitely not too much character variety, I saw more Sonya’s and Geras’ than I will ever want to see again, and I use Geras! But this is to be expected especially early on.

Rooting for Tweedy. He played extremely solid vs SonicFox. Perfect movement, perfect punishes, perfect decisions, etc. I love SF but I don’t want him to win. He needs to lose SOMETIMES, it’s good for the scene, lol.
There's a bit of the Black Adam effect going on with Sonya and Geras I think - so many people playing them because they are de-facto top 3 and people will always gravitate to who they think is the best, I don't think any level of balance will ever change that.

Unsure if Sonic will make it out of losers, I still wanna root for him though.

But guilty pleasure would have Foxy Gramps win it all. I like his attitude a lot and he's been hitting it hard.

Except there definitely was character variety. Just because more people played certain characters does NOT translate into there wasn't character diversity.

I've watched the streams pretty heavily and I have seen: Johnny Cage, Cassie, Sonya, Noob, Jacqui, Scorpion, Raiden, Baraka, Sub-Zero Kano, Kabal, Liu Kang, Jade, Kitana, Skarlet, Erron Black, Cetrion and Geras.

The only characters I haven't seen much if at all is D'vorah, Frost, Kotal, Shao Kahn and Kollector, everyone else has made multiple on stream appearances and/or were used in top 24 and past round one competitive play matches.

No duh the top characters are going to appear more, but that doesn't translate into "not too much diversity" lol.

My comments were in the context of the tournament as a whole and even top 8 doesn't have insane overlap, but because this community likes to complain it is what it is.

Last edited:
Except there definitely was character variety. Just because more people played certain characters does NOT translate into there wasn't character diversity.

I've watched the streams pretty heavily and I have seen: Johnny Cage, Cassie, Sonya, Noob, Jacqui, Scorpion, Raiden, Baraka, Sub-Zero Kano, Kabal, Liu Kang, Jade, Kitana, Skarlet, Erron Black, Cetrion and Geras.

The only characters I haven't seen much if at all is D'vorah, Frost, Kotal, Shao Kahn and Kollector, everyone else has made multiple on stream appearances and/or were used in top 24 and past round one competitive play matches.

No duh the top characters are going to appear more, but that doesn't translate into "not too much diversity" lol.

My comments were in the context of the tournament as a whole and even top 8 doesn't have insane overlap, but because this community likes to complain it is what it is.
There were only about 4 characters that come to mind. The others were used like once or twice. It was a vast majority of Geras, Sonya, Jacqui and Jade from what I saw. And a couple others here an there.

Talking about today, Espio. Relax.

Talking about today, Espio. Relax.
Well and yesterday. They showed the same players a lot, which is to be expected. It was insane how many Cetrion vs Jade matches there were on stream yesterday and even today. Even in the team tournament, so many Sonya’s and Geras’. Never complained about it though, just making an observation. I was hoping to see Scorpion more but there were only a couple Scorpion MAINS showed on stream. Killer Xinok was the best one, imo. Scar uses him in certain MU’s, like vs Jade.

For top 8, including all the characters these players have used in this tournament, we have:
2 Geras
2 Cetrion
2 Jacqui
1 Sonya
1 Kitana
1 Erron Black
1 Baraka
1 Kitana
1 Cassie
1 Kung Lao
1 Scorpion

I believe that’s all of them. That’s pretty good.

I’ve never seen a character community root against their own character just so they can downplay some more. Some of you Jade players are nutty.
As a Jade main I hope no one was hoping any player lost that was using her. Why wouldn't we want to see the character succeed? This makes no sense.

I enjoyed watching Waz and the other Jade players use her. Sometimes I think people get too caught up in doubling down on their own narratives...