What's new

Combo Breaker 2017 INJ2 Viewers' Guide and Discussion Thread!

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
▌GENERAL INFO

The first true major of the Injustice 2 era has arrived! With a stacked set of pools (379 entrants!), and a new streaming arrangement that will (for that first time at a Combo Breaker) allow us to see every bit of the action as it unfolds, the stage is set for a memorable event -- and for a glimpse at where the early meta of the game stands.

Combo Breaker 2017 is the Inaugural event in the Injustice Pro Series and will feature a $20,000 pot bonus.

▌STREAM

Before the tournament pools start on Friday, there will be a character auction exhibition event from 3-5 PM at: https://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky

Due to Netherrealm Studios running a stream from Combo Breaker, the following pools will all be broadcast at https://www.twitch.tv/netherrealm:

(All times CDT - Central Daylight Time GMT -5)

FRIDAY:
5 PM-9 PM
(Pools)

SATURDAY:
10 AM-2 PM
(Pools)
8 PM (Top 48->16)

SUNDAY:
3:30 PM
(Top 16->8 followed by Top 8)​

▌BRACKETS

In order to follow along with the brackets, bookmark the event page on smash.gg:
https://smash.gg/tournament/combo-breaker/events/injustice-2/overview
(Click 'Pools' to see the listing, and then click on a specific pool to see the bracket)

▌FULL EVENT SCHEDULE

The full stream schedule for all events is below:
https://combobreaker.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/CB2017_Final-Schedule-1.png

Bonus: Pig of the Hut will also be streaming casuals at: https://www.twitch.tv/streamofthehut on Thursday night.

Last edited:

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Might want to add ... Friday 3pm-5pm (start of pools on Netherrealm) you can see the Injustice 2 AUCTION event... @TeamSpooky.

Redk9

Noob
I meant is general, Capcom run tournaments treat us like shit.
Oh stop. Please. Games generally(key word) generally get treatment based off the volume of players or expected volume of players. That's why melee has forced its way into EVO and nearly ever major tournament. Once NRS games bring in more tournament players this type of stuff will be more common place.

I am out of my mind with excitement over this!!! Wow!!! What a lineup!! As someone who has been following the NRS competitive scene since MK9, this is SO OFF THE HOOK for the first major!!!!

WOW!!! It would take thousands of pages to detail all of the drama that will happen this weekend!!!

I'll give a shortened VIEWERS' GUIDE based on my fandom for all players and the game with apologies in advance for the great amount I have to leave out.

THREE THINGS TO WATCH FOR RELATED TO CHARACTERS:

1) DIRT: There has been no patch since release and this is the first BIG tournament AS IS for the game. Yes, there have been online tournaments and locals, and those are hype, but you better believe top players have been holding back. So, expect to see some "dirt" or "tech" going on with money/pride on the line, folks are going to bust out some pocket moves they've discovered. Expect announcers to say, "I didn't know that character could do that!"

2) LEGACY vs. NEW: A lot of players have stuck with old characters that play mostly the same. Batman, Superman, Flash, Black Adam, etc. Obviously, if you only have so much time before you jump into big tournaments, playing a character that you have known for four (4) years is easier than picking up a new character. Yet, NRS tends to make new characters good so that people play them. So, look for what happens when brand new characters get played vs. legacy characters. [On a personal note, I can't help but root for new characters, except for Atrocitus. Pretty much everyone agrees that Atrocitus is extremely good.]

3) IS ZONING OP?: Obviously zoning (shooting projectiles) is a big part of the game, but some think it is so powerful that rushdown (get in and hit the opponent) characters are too disadvantaged. Well, we're about to get a good idea.

THREE THINGS TO WATCH FOR RELATED TO PLAYERS:

1) Sonic Fox vs. The World: Let's face it. If your life depended upon it, you'd have to bet that the prodigy-phenom Sonic Fox will win. He's been a dominant force in the NRS scene (and #1 in other games) for years now. Yet, 378 people are showing up to beat him. The list of players that COULD/HAVE beat him here and there is as long as my arm; however, Sonic is the Magnus Carlsen of the NRS scene.

2) NRS players vs. Poachers: With Injustice 2 being a new game, there are players from other fighting games that are going to jump in to try to win some cash. For sure, other games have players with innate talent, great fundamentals, and the will to come in and try to make their mark. NRS games have had to work their way up over the years to earn respect in the Fighting Game Community (FGC). To be fair, some players known for other games have been playing NRS games for awhile too, so this isn't a clean distinction. [Here is one way to tell: if the player wins and says, "Ha! This proves the NRS scene sucks since I could walk in here and crush you!" then they are a poacher.]

3) "Old Guard" vs. New: There are players that have been around a long time in the NRS scene, some from MK9, some from even before. Then there are the new players, maybe those that first came to attention in MKX. Young vs. old; old vs. new. Does wisdom and experience triumph? Or does the new wave wash away the old? Again, not the clearest way to distinguish between who is "new" vs. who is "old" in some circumstances.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!

sorry but i have to complain a little. there were matches like tekken master vs scar, tweey vs grr, djt vs hayate and slayer vs illusions while we watch... umm... kiu vs malcolm? kdz's aquaman mopping Eevee? sorry but whoever ran this stream, you really need to step up your game.

Shadow316

You inspire no fear.
sorry but i have to complain a little. there were matches like tekken master vs scar, tweey vs grr, djt vs hayate and slayer vs illusions while we watch... umm... kiu vs malcolm? kdz's aquaman mopping Eevee? sorry but whoever ran this stream, you really need to step up your game.
Maybe we could have gotten more matches if there wasn't a 7 minute break after every 2 sets.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
So pool resume at 10-12? Then top 48 to top 16 is at 8pm?

This scheduling layout is kinda confusing. Also what does the "1-4" mean?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
So pool resume at 10-12? Then top 48 to top 16 is at 8pm?

This scheduling layout is kinda confusing. Also what does the "1-4" mean?
Yeah. I'm pretty sure the 1-4 means that there are 4 pools running in each block. So 4 blocks of 4 pools at a time = 16 pools.

So Sonic just bodied CdJr, guess all that trash talk about taking this game seriously didn't amount to much.

I don't wanna complain too much, as it's not MLG level bad just yet, but these breaks are a little ridiculous. 9 minute break, cdjr sonic fox play, right back on break. Grass roots>esports for streamers, even if its better for the players. Players should come first of course, still sucks.

Think I'll just stick to watching these things once they're uploaded to youtube.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
There has been an awful lot of the "We'll Be Back Soon" screen.

On the plus side I've enjoyed watching Dragon's Ivy.

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
These breaks are ridiculous. Spending more time watching ads for fucking Baywatch than actual matches. Fuck off, I'm not watching your Amazon Prime show or your shitty movie.