What's new

General/Other - Kano Coach Steve's thoughts on Kano (Post-Patch)

MrInsaynne

PG Coach Steve
Alright guys, I've been back on the game secretly for a little while now. Doing a lot of searching and exploring, trying to find myself again. In the end, I always end up back at Kano. This new patch has given some life back in the game for me. Here are my thoughts on each variation and Kano in general.

Cutthroat: Still the strongest variation of the 3. Good projectile, damage and rushdown without relying much on stamina like other characters did. He's unchanged for the most part aside from B121 being unsafe (0 on block was kind of silly so im ok with this) With very slight adjustments you can still play cutthroat as you did before.

Cybernetic: While he may not have received any real direct buffs, cybernetic is stronger than it was previously. The fear of armored launchers is not really there anymore which was a huge problem when it came to the risk reward of what cybernetic was doing. 2 hit armor moves can still be armor broken with EX knives. Zoning is better because of the new stamina system. EX Up Ball still safe, air ball still an overhead. looks pretty good now overall.

Commando: Grapplers in this engine are interesting, commando may be one of the better ones because he also has a great projectile. Which means he may not always be forced to come to the opponent. Having 2 hits of armor on all his grabs and choke is great. They have to be very cautious now more than ever.

I am playing other characters as well, but I am definitely pleased with this Kano overall. I feel like I will be able to use every variation for something. What are your thoughts? Comment below!

Jupe

Noob
Agree with everything. I'm really happy that even though Cutthroat seems to be the strongest variation overall, there are uses for his other variations, too. The universal changes really helped cybernetic, but I feel he is still gonna struggle against characters that can trade fireballs with him and have better pressure (a-list for example)

MrInsaynne

PG Coach Steve
Agree with everything. I'm really happy that even though Cutthroat seems to be the strongest variation overall, there are uses for his other variations, too. The universal changes really helped cybernetic, but I feel he is still gonna struggle against characters that can trade fireballs with him and have better pressure (a-list for example)
Yeah i said the same. There are some stronger zoners that he cant trade with so it might be a bit of a problem against them. Can't wait to play more and see how things turn out.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Yeah you guys are right. How they changed the stamina and armor in the game gives kano a bit more of an advantage now. Maybe more so for cybernetic and commando.

Even though it's almost past day 1 I find I have to play more a bit more patently which opens up new opportunities for zoning. I've always felt he lacks in that department even though his knives are so good.

I'm missing armored ball though.

VoyagersRevenge

AUGMENTED
Kano can compete with the cast..except for GM sub smh. Shinnok match up is actually not terrible but it'll require good patience and heavy offense whenever you get in. Commando and cyber benefit a lot from the new changes, but Cutthroat is still wild lol. As in, it's still a very good variation that requires more thinking and spacing but hits like a beast.

No complaints so far. Black Dragon kano ball is best used for commando's combo extenders this time around (and thats excluding the dash/njp stuff which could be risky depending on your execution) ,but it's still good for all variations to corner carry or close out rounds in the corner.

Overall, he hold his own pretty well in every variation for particular match ups. Commando is really fun and frightening with 2 bars on the offense lol.

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
I could never get a hand on the dash forward instant njp stuff, hard AF.
Its all about timing and muscle memory. And a non-shitty connection lol. For the 2 weeks I played him seriously, I got it down and was even hitting females with the bnbs. Felt so good!

Gotta grind it. :)

Kano can compete with the cast..except for GM sub
Cybernetic holds it down in that MU imo. EX Knives and EX eye laser shit are both great options to combat the clone (I think, could someone lab this for me?). I'm pretty sure even non EX laser can catch a sub zero pressing buttons behind a clone

Outside that I agree with your post. EX Black dragon ball isn't too bad of a nerf and it was unsafe armor anyway. We still have safe armor, and it can be used for combo extension or corner carry. Imo, only Commando should be using it regularly

VoyagersRevenge

AUGMENTED
Cybernetic holds it down in that MU imo. EX Knives and EX eye laser shit are both great options to combat the clone (I think, could someone lab this for me?). I'm pretty sure even non EX laser can catch a sub zero pressing buttons behind a clone

Outside that I agree with your post. EX Black dragon ball isn't too bad of a nerf and it was unsafe armor anyway. We still have safe armor, and it can be used for combo extension or corner carry. Imo, only Commando should be using it regularly
Winnable match up indeed but after GM Subzero gets Kano in the corner into a hard knockdown / clone set up, it's probably the most frustrating guessing game he has to play and usually not worth the trouble competitively. You're also forced to make some impeccable reactions to 50/50 throws / overhead starter into set up/ low starter into set up / high-low+slide into set up and the eye laser counter works probably the first time you try it lol (if eye laser whiffs because the sub is a little patient since clone stays up till next morning, then you're back in the blender unfortunately). The opinion really depends on which GM subzero's you've played. I played a few of the best that I know. With black dragon Kano ball losing armor, and ex up ball being useless to armor breaking clone+run in+poke tactics... it's a bad time. Also, ex blades in cybernetic won't come out in time if you're put into the hard knockdown blender :( . Get stuffed while clone is still out.

I know Kenshi is my counter lol

MrInsaynne

PG Coach Steve
I never had an issue with GM sub zero. Don't think the match up changed much either.

Shinnoks projectile doing way more damage than ours is what still makes that match up hard imo. 8% vs 5% on a trade is just yuck lolol. Gotta play very patient.

VoyagersRevenge

AUGMENTED
I never had an issue with GM sub zero. Don't think the match up changed much either.

Shinnoks projectile doing way more damage than ours is what still makes that match up hard imo. 8% vs 5% on a trade is just yuck lolol. Gotta play very patient.
You played buffalo's gm sub yet? Shinnok is still wild. D4 hellsparks string is trippy

VoyagersRevenge

AUGMENTED
Nah idk who buffalo is. Lolol. I can try and play him sometime though I suppose
MK buffalo, if you're back to playing mk, you'll bump into him most likely lol. Or just try and get some games with em online. Might just change your mind about that match up, it might lol.

GAMETIME

I Bring Knives To A Gun Fight !

Same here never really had a problem either with GM sub, if I lose its because usually I'm Corning myself

GAMETIME

Are you playing a mid to close range game on him? Using Cybernetic or Cutthroat? My problem might be allowing myself to get cornered. Probably playing too defensive.
I main cutthroat but usually I'm trying to get in( I can understand why cybernetic would be defensive though ) because anytime I try to play to defensive i find myself backed to the corner and getting stuck their

VoyagersRevenge

AUGMENTED
I main cutthroat but usually I'm trying to get in( I can understand why cybernetic would be defensive though ) because anytime I try to play to defensive i find myself backed to the corner and getting stuck their
I see, I gotta rethink this match up. Coming across this info from long time Kano players makes me wonder where my weaknesses are exactly. It takes a lot for me to give up, but I did and opted to use a counter. Need more games with the GM! However, when he's in the corner, it's usually a wrap with Cutthroat. The lack of the overhead starter in Cybernetic makes that mix up in the corner a lot harder though.

RyuuJin882

Twitch.tv/ryuujin882
Ye
Alright guys, I've been back on the game secretly for a little while now. Doing a lot of searching and exploring, trying to find myself again. In the end, I always end up back at Kano. This new patch has given some life back in the game for me. Here are my thoughts on each variation and Kano in general.

Cutthroat: Still the strongest variation of the 3. Good projectile, damage and rushdown without relying much on stamina like other characters did. He's unchanged for the most part aside from B121 being unsafe (0 on block was kind of silly so im ok with this) With very slight adjustments you can still play cutthroat as you did before.

Cybernetic: While he may not have received any real direct buffs, cybernetic is stronger than it was previously. The fear of armored launchers is not really there anymore which was a huge problem when it came to the risk reward of what cybernetic was doing. 2 hit armor moves can still be armor broken with EX knives. Zoning is better because of the new stamina system. EX Up Ball still safe, air ball still an overhead. looks pretty good now overall.

Commando: Grapplers in this engine are interesting, commando may be one of the better ones because he also has a great projectile. Which means he may not always be forced to come to the opponent. Having 2 hits of armor on all his grabs and choke is great. They have to be very cautious now more than ever.

I am playing other characters as well, but I am definitely pleased with this Kano overall. I feel like I will be able to use every variation for something. What are your thoughts? Comment below!
Excited for Kano in general. I mained cybernetic the 1st 8 months of the game and dropped hi. because his play style did not fit the meta.

But now the current meta makes cybernetic much stronger. Very excited to see other variations in top 8s.

GAMETIME

I see, I gotta rethink this match up. Coming across this info from long time Kano players makes me wonder where my weaknesses are exactly. It takes a lot for me to give up, but I did and opted to use a counter. Need more games with the GM! However, when he's in the corner, it's usually a wrap with Cutthroat. The lack of the overhead starter in Cybernetic makes that mix up in the corner a lot harder though.
Think about it like this, whoever gets the corner wins , sub has better set ups to keep you there but Kano has the damage and doesn't need to keep you their that long to win , sub has to do like 3 combos to beat you, Kano can do like one simple corner combo for 55% and he can kill you , it's not as hard as you may think to get in on GM sub, it's more about understanding the clone , what helps me is if you actually destroy the clone(not letting it go away after it being up for 4 seconds) That's your chance to get in (or escape the corner) because he can't clone again for like 4 seconds