What's new

Tech Close Knock-down Flying Grayson Setup (New BnB?)

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
This is basically the tech @macro found a while ago but with a much better setup. So take a look at his thread before you continue reading this one here: http://testyourmight.com/threads/some-sick-nightwing-tech.37909/

This happened to me unintentionally too frequently I would be surprised if you guys didn't notice it before.

So that's it, after any B3 in Staff Stance if you do J2 J2 D2xxFG and the D2 hits when the opponent is above Nightwing's head this happens. It's consistent, very easy to do and the only sacrifice is 2% off his max damage combo (which would be a J3 instead on the of the J2s right? Or is there another combo that does higher damage?)

After the knockdown you have good gimmicks to pull off; you can forward dash after the knockdown and Nightwing will cross-over like this:

I think you can time the dash better than I did in the video and Nightwing will recover even faster so the D1 would be super quick and would actually come out before the opponent finishes rolling on the ground.

And you can do as Macro does in his thread and cancel the cross up with a NJ2 for mix-ups.

The opponent can tech roll this but if you don't cross over the tech roll doesn't send the opponent very far and they would still be in Standing 1 range. If they tech roll and you dash forward to cross-over they'll get outside the Standing 1 range I think.

Do you guys think this is good enough to be a new BnB or do you prefer the hard knockdown of the Staff Spin? This combo leaves you in tons of plus frames and much much closer than the knockdown of a Staff Spin so you don't need to chase the opponent after you finish your combo.

Let me know what you think.

UPDATE:
I just tried the F3 after the knockdown. It does NOT cross-over. It's a fake cross-over, if it hits you'll switch sides with your opponent but it is actually blocked by pressing back not forward...

@TheBoyBlunder @Sajam @TakeAChance @prycemonsta @RM Chongo @AssassiN @HeroesNZ @gpmoney @The rest of you lovely Dicks.

Last edited:

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
You should check out F3 setups out of that combo. What you're doing isn't a mixup itself but rather an alternate side switch BnB since the opponent can just block with down and react to S2.

Braindead

You should check out F3 setups out of that combo. What you're doing isn't a mixup itself but rather an alternate side switch BnB since the opponent can just block with down and react to S2.
Yeah I'll see what I can do with F3. In the thread I linked in the beginning Macro does Forward walk after the knockdown then instant NJ2, it looks like NW is going to switch sides but he doesn't and the NJ2 is overhead of course so holding down won't work with that.
But yeah I agree simply switching sides isn't a real mix-up.

gpmoney

CORN | gpmoney. Saltier than a bag of chips.
I'll have to play with it after work but its defiantly good. I usually get it by accident when anti airing ppl so I never got to check my options. I wana see if you can cancel into escrima then do a flip kick

Braindead

I'll have to play with it after work but its defiantly good. I usually get it by accident when anti airing ppl so I never got to check my options. I wana see if you can cancel into escrima then do a flip kick
Yes you can, you have so much advantage but if they wake up the invincibility will eat the hit. I haven't looked much further because after like half an hour in the lab my execution success rate goes nearly to zero :S

gpmoney

Yes you can, you have so much advantage but if they wake up the invincibility will eat the hit. I haven't looked much further because after like half an hour in the lab my execution success rate goes nearly to zero :S
hmmm I wonder if you can get a standing 2 into flip kick to re adjust your hitbox.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Yeah I'll see what I can do with F3. In the thread I linked in the beginning Macro does Forward walk after the knockdown then instant NJ2, it looks like NW is going to switch sides but he doesn't and the NJ2 is overhead of course so holding down won't work with that.
But yeah I agree simply switching sides isn't a real mix-up.
Instant J2 still is not a mixup, you need something to be fast in order to really have a mixup, but all you have is a 21f low and a 22f overhead. That naturally leaves you with just side switch 50/50s.

NW would be much better if F1 in 1+F1 was a 17f command normal.

Instant J2 still is not a mixup, you need something to be fast in order to really have a mixup, but all you have is a 21f low and a 22f overhead. That naturally leaves you with just side switch 50/50s.

the fucking truth

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
This is exactly what I was thinking once I seen this. Was labbing all last night and I think I am on to something but I just have to experiment more to see if I can get it to cross up

AssassiN

Noob

Would be good, wouldn't mind if 1F1 did not have any pushback and kept the opponent close(like Cage's F3, except it would be a real frametrap).

@Braindead
The tech isn't bad, it can be a mindfuck for people who have no idea what is going on. However it looks like a gimmick.
The opponent can still hold down to block his D1, none of his overheads are fast enough(J1 and J3 will whiff, J2 takes too long).
Trait~Flipkick is an option, but the opponent can roll thus avoiding any cross-up mix-ups.

Perhaps NW players need to learn the Staff Spin combo's where it'll leave the opponent at the right distance where Escrima J2 and J3 are true mix-ups.
I'm looking into implementing this setup into my game.

Braindead

Perhaps NW players need to learn the Staff Spin combo's where it'll leave the opponent at the right distance where Escrima J2 and J3 are true mix-ups.
I'm looking into implementing this setup into my game.
I looked a lot for a setup where I can land the opponent in J1/J2 mix-up range in Escrima, couldn't find any :S

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
thank you captain qwark,may you continue to shatter hopes and dreams with joker and enjoy yourself @Braindead nice vid.may nightwing continue to smoke batmans Rodney for pocket change and enjoyment.

Braindead

I just tried the F3 after the knockdown. It crosses-up. Tech roll gets out of the F3 and wake-ups look like they can blow up the F3, even with MB. I will test some more and see what else I can find.

Update -- The timing of F3 decides if it crosses-over or not. The timing is so tight it made me have this slight doubt that the actual crossing-over or not is random.
F3 blows lame wake-ups but the wake-ups with good invincibility blow up the F3 even with MB, because you have so much advantage after the knockdown the F3 animation is almost over when the wake-up is about to begin, and so the invincibility eats the hit and NW eats the wake-up. I tested this on GL's lift, BA's cage and lightning hands.
I will update the OP and add this.

Update 2: FALSE ALARM! LOL
Well when the F3 hits you switch sides with the opponent, just as it crossed over. But I recorded it and tried to block it myself, you must block it back (not forward) and it doesn't cross over :S wtf...

Last edited:

gpmoney

escrima j3 is +10 on block, you have options if blocked at proper hight

gpmoney

I haven't tried switching stance after the knockdown except for instant Flip Kick. I'll try it later and see what we can get.
Im just thinking of stuff in my head lol. I Know the tech is good cause when I get it by accident ppl cry. Im not gonna abuse it though. its gonna be one of those set ups I pull out of no where lol

Braindead

Im just thinking of stuff in my head lol. I Know the tech is good cause when I get it by accident ppl cry. Im not gonna abuse it though. its gonna be one of those set ups I pull out of no where lol
The idea that NW is so up-close after the knockdown makes my mind itchy lol. I have this nagging feeling there might be an OTG or something like that there.

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
This is beautiful, I've landed this a couple of times in ranked, but never consistently. Will practice it today

Shout out to all the people who want to block low on this and waiting to react to standing staff 2 as if it's is the only overhead option NW has. Escrima cancel into MB Flipkick will have you taking a ride to the corner where it's party time for NW.

This set up is great because it leaves NW where he needs to be D1 pressure and plus frames (1F1 Ground Pound or 1F1 Flip Kick MB)

macro

Eezeepeezee
What he said.