What's new

Choke should hit mid

It'd be nice if Choke hit mid among other things, considering that Kano is pretty slow and puts him at slight disadvantage anyhow. Doesn't seem like Netherrealm is going hotfix the game one last time or they would have done so already I think...

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I'm ok that it hits high. Catches opponents trying to cross you up. Excellent wakeup anti-air. Jax's choke has the same properties.
The thing about choke, though, is that it's -1 with pushback. If it could hit true mid, it would drastically help in footsies. He could set up blockstrings into choke, step back, then whiff punish, or choke as an advancing poke in general without worrying about the opponent straight up ducking it. That, and it automatically boosts f3 as a poke because f3 already is an advancing normal, but using f3b2 is too negative on block with no pushback. He's forced to defend after it's blocked. f3 xx true mid choke = pushback at -1 on an advancing poke, which goes into what I said above.

It's, IMO, one of the biggest buffs you could give him.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
The thing about choke, though, is that it's -1 with pushback. If it could hit true mid, it would drastically help in footsies. He could set up blockstrings into choke, step back, then whiff punish, or choke as an advancing poke in general without worrying about the opponent straight up ducking it. That, and it automatically boosts f3 as a poke because f3 already is an advancing normal, but using f3b2 is too negative on block with no pushback. He's forced to defend after it's blocked. f3 xx true mid choke = pushback at -1 on an advancing poke, which goes into what I said above.

Do you think it would be necessary to give him positive frames after a blocked choke? Personally i think it should be zero and a completed should definitely give him way more frame advantage.

MaceWind

Crazy 88

While it would be nice for its pushback qualities I have something else for that which I will post later. In the meantime, I do cancel into it after F3,B2 and B2,3 just to keep them a bit safer.

THTB

Do you think it would be necessary to give him positive frames after a blocked choke? Personally i think it should be zero and a completed should definitely give him way more frame advantage.
If it stays a high, yes. Mid-hitting special with pushback on block being plus? >_________>

Honestly, at the range you get pushed back to, the -1 affects very, very little. It's basically nothing the opponent can even really take advantage of unless they're Cage.

MagicMan357

THTB lol just food for the thought

and i think people really do underestimate the pushback after a string. D1 + choke creates alot of pushback also.

also i like f11-choke-choke to catch certain characters off guard, its just really risky

THTB

THTB lol just food for the thought

and i think people really do underestimate the pushback after a string. D1 + choke creates alot of pushback also.

also i like f11-choke-choke to catch certain characters off guard, its just really risky
Yeah, I was sitting in practice with Kano and saw the pushback...I was like "Holy shit...if this hit mid...Kano would be fixed."

Right now, Kano's problem is the metagame has shifted to being very footsies-centric. Something he just doesn't excel in. This would solve sooooooooo much.

MagicMan357

THTB though he doesnt excel, he is still pretty damn solid at footsies but i do agree that choke hitting mid would be crazy. We can only dream NRS will make an update that wont completely shit all over kano again giving him another identity crisis.

THTB

THTB though he doesnt excel, he is still pretty damn solid at footsies but i do agree that choke hitting mid would be crazy. We can only dream NRS will make an update that wont completely shit all over kano again giving him another identity crisis.
He's okay at it, but compared to a number of characters, he really doesn't cut it.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Choke alone hitting mid would help Kano out, a lot. B11(2) hitting mid would help Kano out a hell of a lot too. EX Choke should have armor as well, what's the harm in that? Kano's meter options outside of his x-ray (which will be avoided) are really bad in the current state. Yes, getting the EX horizontal ball out in the initial starting frame consistently, is a great tool since that has armor - problem is, it's so difficult to do consistently and if it accidentally charges then you've just wasted your meter for nothing. Choke being neutral on block would help as well. I'd also like his old knives back, but that may be too much, on top of the other things I'd like.

Other than the removal of the useless charge animation on the ball, these are simple little things that NRS could do to help the character out. Will they? Doubt it. Doubt they'll give Nightwolf a low F3 either but hey...

MagicMan357

Choke alone hitting mid would help Kano out, a lot. B11(2) hitting mid would help Kano out a hell of a lot too. EX Choke should have armor as well, what's the harm in that? Kano's meter options outside of his x-ray (which will be avoided) are really bad in the current state. Yes, getting the EX horizontal ball out in the initial starting frame consistently, is a great tool since that has armor - problem is, it's so difficult to do consistently and if it accidentally charges then you've just wasted your meter for nothing. Choke being neutral on block would help as well. I'd also like his old knives back, but that may be too much, on top of the other things I'd like.

Realistically, the only suggestions are buffs that change the hit properties or add more to the animations. The removal of the charge on EX horizontal probably isn't realistic. The other things are simple changes though that'd really help him out.
Alot of people underestimate his EX knives, its really good for pressure and keeping people out. Also remember it hits mid and has a high hitbox to catch levitators (i.e ermac and sindel). Also its good if you want an easy 1 bar 6% more damage easy combo. It may not seem like a big deal but it can help you.

As for his other moves, they seem pointless. EX ball is stupid, EX upball seems kinda pointless, and EX choke was supposed to have armor ages ago.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Alot of people underestimate his EX knives, its really good for pressure and keeping people out. Also remember it hits mid and has a high hitbox to catch levitators (i.e ermac and sindel). Also its good if you want an easy 1 bar 6% more damage easy combo. It may not seem like a big deal but it can help you.

As for his other moves, they seem pointless. EX ball is stupid, EX upball seems kinda pointless, and EX choke was supposed to have armor ages ago.
I didn't know that the EX knives hit mid, that's good. And yeah, that right there is probably his best meter option at the time being. As a pressure tool though, being -3 on block doesn't deem it very worthwhile to me. B112, 212, even B23~choke are neutral or -1 with choke. -3 on block is just going to get Kano out poked after the knife.

How much damage does that add on block again?

THTB

Humorously enough, EX knives can be neutral ducked by Reptile. >_____________________________________>

MagicMan357

THTB -_- wtf, mk is retarded

IniquityDM i didnt mean on block, i never even thought it actually jailed people to begin with (too slow).

And it only adds 2%

Flagg

Noob
THTB, not only give Kano a mid hit choke but make ex version his armour move.

We all know Kano's normals aren't the best, hence why he gets hammered when he's boxed in by someone like Cage or Sonya. An armoured choke would help him as a "get off me move".

THTB

THTB, not only give Kano a mid hit choke but make ex version his armour move.

We all know Kano's normals aren't the best, hence why he gets hammered when he's boxed in by someone like Cage or Sonya. An armoured choke would help him as a "get off me move".
A number of characters need armor still. Surprised some still don't tbh.

Flagg

Noob
Sindel and CSZ dont have armour and it makes me wonder how much their game would change if they had some. Im still unsure what would improve CSZ, an armoured dive kick or faster teleport.

Barakas last buff was full screen ex blade charge and I think the armour properties were increased. For him that was huge.

If Kano had an armoured choke, not only would it help to get out of pressure, it would help with his pressure game as you couldn't poke him out due to the armour and it hitting mid. I think that is one fair buff considering the knife nerf and all the negative advantage of his moves.