What's new

Chew Bubblegum & Kick Some Ass! Cassie Cage Full Guide (DS and YQ)

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
It works as long as you are giving them different looks. Also 12 is 0 on block, 21 is -1 on block, f3 is -1 on block, f32 is -2 on block. Just keep them on their toes and they will show you how to pressure them.

Hmm interesting. Are you saying use those after a blocked b2? If so half of those are high starters and don't have much range. Also don't forget you have to tack on that -4 in an optimal situation so after b2, the best of those options would be the 12 but that string is a high starter and would be coming out in 11 frames and has no range. Easy counter poke. F3 is for sure safe but stupid slow. Those are definitely not staggers.

Without a bar we can only do starter xx ender?
Saw a discussion tonight... what do you think of the statement that Cassie is no threat and that you only need to duck and let go of block once you see the throw attempt coming, since she only has lows as a starter, not within strings?
Edit: Sorry for my grammar, my tablet goes nuts with autocorrect and me typing too fast!

Last edited:

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Saw a discussion tonight... what do you think of the statement that Cassie is no thread and that you only need to duck and let go of block once you see the throw attempt coming, since she only has lows as a starter, not withing strings?
Yep, but as Cassie you should always have 1 bar, never use 2 in combos.
B1,3 is a bit slow but it has hella range, I still hit people with that. I think she is a big threat if you use B24 or BF41 on whiff punishes, especially B24 as it's a good advancing mid. She's a solid character all around, you just have to know how to open up your opponent.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Saw a discussion tonight... what do you think of the statement that Cassie is no thread and that you only need to duck and let go of block once you see the throw attempt coming, since she only has lows as a starter, not withing strings?
She also has F4,1, which ends in an overhead and leads with arguably her best normal in F4.

Also to echo what VSlayer said, Cassie should only use 2 bars of meter in a combo when it will be sure to close out the match due to her reliance on it to extend her combos with AMP Kneecappin or AMP Energy Burst.

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
Hmm interesting. Are you saying use those after a blocked b2? If so half of those are high starters and don't have much range. Also don't forget you have to tack on that -4 in an optimal situation so after b2, the best of those options would be the 12 but that string is a high starter and would be coming out in 11 frames and has no range. Easy counter poke. F3 is for sure safe but stupid slow. Those are definitely not staggers.
Not saying these are your options after a blocked b2, I’m just naming normals that can be staggered. What I’m saying is, the way you have to approach it is based on your opponent. If you are working around most competent players will respect most of the time anyway due to spacing of the string on block and the fact that are looking for you to finish the string. Those normals I mentioned can be considered staggers simply because you can end them early to throw off the opponents timing. Frame data encourages them to be used in that manner. And don’t normals hitting high deter you from using them. It doesn’t change the fact that they are good tools.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
Yep, but as Cassie you should always have 1 bar, never use 2 in combos.
B1,3 is a bit slow but it has hella range, I still hit people with that. I think she is a big threat if you use B24 or BF41 on whiff punishes, especially B24 as it's a good advancing mid. She's a solid character all around, you just have to know how to open up your opponent.
Cassie has one of the best whiff punishers in the whole game hands down.

BigMilk

They can think that way, but it isn’t like she is a high low mix character. And if someone is committing to look for any one thing then they are holding a lot more

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
Not saying these are your options after a blocked b2, I’m just naming normals that can be staggered. What I’m saying is, the way you have to approach it is based on your opponent. If you are working around most competent players will respect most of the time anyway due to spacing of the string on block and the fact that are looking for you to finish the string. Those normals I mentioned can be considered staggers simply because you can end them early to throw off the opponents timing. Frame data encourages them to be used in that manner. And don’t normals hitting high deter you from using them. It doesn’t change the fact that they are good tools.

I hear what you're saying. The problem with those normals is they don't have range and some start high. They aren't reliable to start with because of that. The reason they aren't staggers is because she has literally nothing threatening about them. Her only reliable overhead string starts as a mid, has a slow overhead and is a commitment.

Again, I'm not saying her strings are bad or that shes a bad character. What I am saying is she has no real offensive pressure or stagger strings. What makes her good is her strong whiff punish abilities and strong defense

Ehndur

Yes
That's a great video lol I know what it is, what I'm saying is Cassie's b2 isn't a stagger though. B2 is -4 on block and doesn't recover quickly enough to do much else. For example, b2 gets blocked, you go for a grab (which would be 14 frames) your opponent d1's or even d2 for a crushing blow. Remember grabs are a high and if your opponent isn't blocking, it will whiff. The only thing you can do after a b2 is possibly walk back or try to d1 but she doesn't get much of anything off a d1.

Theres nothing threatening about her b243 string other then it's a phenomenal whiff punisher.

It's true her b2 is -4 but with it's slow recovery back to neutral, your opponent won't have a hard time contesting it since it would be there turn.

Now I'm not saying shes bad or anything but she doesn't have much offensive pressure to work with outside of f4.

The pressure she creates is solely based off her defense.
B2 is a stagger. That's just a fact. Whether or not it's a good one is another debate.

But let's say you want to follow-up with a F4. I give you 2 more frames for no being frame perfect. Your F4 will come out at 15 frames after your B2.
I'll take a 7 frames contest from the opponent, like a S1 or D1.
In order to interrupt you, the S1 needs to start 8 frames after the B2 (minimum, because that would be a trade).
Now, if you say that you have the reaction time of 8 frames when you're usually expecting the string to continue to the 4, then I never want to face you :D

BigMilk

I hear what you're saying. The problem with those normals is they don't have range and some start high. They aren't reliable to start with because of that. The reason they aren't staggers is because she has literally nothing threatening about them. Her only reliable overhead string starts as a mid, has a slow overhead and is a commitment.

Again, I'm not saying her strings are bad or that shes a bad character. What I am saying is she has no real offensive pressure or stagger strings. What makes her good is her strong whiff punish abilities and strong defense
I agree she doesn’t have abusable strings and excels defensively but the point I’m making is that, the tools she has may not be the best/ most reliable or whatever but they still exist to serve their purpose. And imo she has very strong staggers and pressure w F4 alone so you must be very careful with what tools you give her in terms of balance.

BigMilk

If they're blocking it that many times in a row, go for B1,3 since you'll get a Krushing Blow if they expect F4 again and block high
Mind games were at an all time high in the set were I did that. That’s all that was really at play there

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
B2 is a stagger. That's just a fact. Whether or not it's a good one is another debate.

But let's say you want to follow-up with a F4. I give you 2 more frames for no being frame perfect. Your F4 will come out at 15 frames after your B2.
I'll take a 7 frames contest from the opponent, like a S1 or D1.
In order to interrupt you, the S1 needs to start 8 frames after the B2 (minimum, because that would be a trade).
Now, if you say that you have the reaction time of 8 frames when you're usually expecting the string to continue to the 4, then I never want to face you :D
I think we are going to agree to disagree and that's totally okay. Staggers to me are the way I defined it previously in our conversation. Those rules don't really apply in this game though and I'm starting to see that. My thought process on staggers are geared more towards tekken and street fighter (where my fighting game experience comes from which is why we aren't in agreement). So the use of the term stagger in these games really differ do to the tool sets in this game.

I do appreciate and respect your opinion though and I did learn some stuff!!!! Are you on PSN? I'd like to hit the lab with you or maybe run some games!

Also @Vslayer when we gonna play?!?

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I think we are going to agree to disagree and that's totally okay. Staggers to me are the way I defined it previously in our conversation. Those rules don't really apply in this game though and I'm starting to see that. My thought process on staggers are geared more towards tekken and street fighter (where my fighting game experience comes from which is why we aren't in agreement). So the use of the term stagger in these games really differ do to the tool sets in this game.

I do appreciate and respect your opinion though and I did learn some stuff!!!! Are you on PSN? I'd like to hit the lab with you or maybe run some games!

I'll be on this weekend! If TYM people are doing KOTH tonight I'll be there, and I got a bloody date with @Eldriken later tonight. If you wanna lab or something just send me a message whenever I'm on after work.

Ehndur

Yes

It's fine.
I'm on PC sadly, seems like most of you are on PS4. Makes me sad.

Ehndur

Yes
Yeah, the amount of players is not the issue. There are just less decent players on PC. Competitive standard is PS4 so it makes sense, and you can find really great players on PC, but not as many. I just play long sets against people that have a good understanding about the game, but going in ranked to find a challenge is not the best idea on PC.