What's new

Chew Bubblegum & Kick Some Ass! Cassie Cage Full Guide (DS and YQ)

sars

Noob
As I watched Summit of Time, I noticed a distinct lack of Cassies ending their combos in nut kick. Why is this? Is the slight advantage (it's +1 or 2 I think) and restand not worth it compared to the damage of up glow kick and more advantage but no restand, or the full screen push of air guns? Or is it just because her combos can be finicky and nobody wanted to risk dropping it?

Also no nut kick means no amp nut kick and therefore no KB after 3 amps. Has anyone tried a game plan of doing shorter combos with amp nut kick instead of low gun to build up the KB and then using a 2 bar combo to close out the game? Or is the damage just not worth it?
No one goes for ex nutpunch cause it’s not worth the extra bar in combos. Save the bar so you can get more damage on the next combo. It’s a pretty dumb requirment. I always take the +4 in nutpunch over glow kick Unless they have no defensive meter.

sars

Noob
It really doesn't do that much more damage, I used it in a two KB combo and it does 40%, with 2 KBs, and 2 bars. It's so not worth it.

I use F4,1 + low gunshot that ends with the B2,4 and nut kick, or jump 4 to air bullet barrage, especially in a KB combo since it's impossible to drop that combo and does 37% damage. I also use B1,3 with these two options and it finishes games really quickly. You don't need the nut kick KB. Honestly, they should change it cause it's useless and does shit damage.
They have to change the requirment. Just make it so after 4 regular nut punches the fifth a KB or something like that.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
They have to change the requirment. Just make it so after 4 regular nut punches the fifth a KB or something like that.
Yep, needing to spend the bars just really isn't worth it right now.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
No one goes for ex nutpunch cause it’s not worth the extra bar in combos. Save the bar so you can get more damage on the next combo. It’s a pretty dumb requirment. I always take the +4 in nutpunch over glow kick Unless they have no defensive meter.
Yeah, its a move that, if you really want to use it, should mainly be used as a combo ender in the corner after launching the opponent with B1,3. But even then, the AMPed version ends in a knockdown instead of a restand.

sars

Noob
Yeah, its a move that, if you really want to use it, should mainly be used as a combo ender in the corner after launching the opponent with B1,3. But even then, the AMPed version ends in a knockdown instead of a restand.
Yeah, Cassie already sucks at the corner game, you only big damage combos are off of B13 or neutral jump kick.

as promised, heres my garbage Cassie v a not so hot Geras. I DO utilize Flippin Out a couple times BUT Geras ALWAYS makes me a bit nervous and I psych myself outta my own gameplan a bit.

Never expected to say it but i think Cassie or Jax suit me more than our colour swap masked friends lol. But what are her 50/50s? She has b1 and f3 as low starters but no overhead starter? Thanks in advance!

Ehndur

Yes
Never expected to say it but i think Cassie or Jax suit me more than our colour swap masked friends lol. But what are her 50/50s? She has b1 and f3 as low starters but no overhead starter? Thanks in advance!
MK11 is light in terms of 50/50, and that's for the best. But I see where you're coming from if you were playing Scorp and Sub.

In terms of mix-ups, she's got good staggers with B2, 4 and F4. She also has a great grab range.

I am usually an Ermac / Reptile main, Sub if he does not suck but I really like Cassie's neutral in mk11 especially since this mk is finally more than just run up 50/50. Thank you for the info! Love me some ellbows as an vf akira player

Methysan

Noob
F4 is a great tool for mixups since it's 0 on block, 9 frame start up, and can continue into an overhead. You can also meaty it for some plus frames if you time it well. If you have them in the corner you can do plenty of strike/throw mix with it since they can't back up. She has no real high/low 50/50 however. Her B1 has decent range, but the full string is quite negative (-11 I believe) and leaves you pretty close. Her other low F3 is a tad slower and has way less range but is safe. The full string is actually plus but there's a gap.

As for her other overhead string, 2,1,D2 I'm not sure if there's much use for it. The tutorial says you can use it to catch people trying to duck under 2112. I rarely use either of them though. Usually if I get a 2 it's a missed input meant to be either B2 or F2.

sars

Noob
So I saw on twitter if you block a jump in 111 from garas, you can block the jump in standing block the first hit of 1 block low and can flawless block the 2nd one if you are blocking low. U2 for a full combo. Takes away the 50/50 cause he won’t make it to the overhead. I’ve been practicing it. Can’t wait to try it in a match. Cost a lot of bars but def worth it in some situations

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
F4 is a great tool for mixups since it's 0 on block, 9 frame start up, and can continue into an overhead. You can also meaty it for some plus frames if you time it well. If you have them in the corner you can do plenty of strike/throw mix with it since they can't back up. She has no real high/low 50/50 however. Her B1 has decent range, but the full string is quite negative (-11 I believe) and leaves you pretty close. Her other low F3 is a tad slower and has way less range but is safe. The full string is actually plus but there's a gap.

As for her other overhead string, 2,1,D2 I'm not sure if there's much use for it. The tutorial says you can use it to catch people trying to duck under 2112. I rarely use either of them though. Usually if I get a 2 it's a missed input meant to be either B2 or F2.
2,1,D2 is arguably her worst string. Her standing 2 has slightly more range than her standing 1, but its a 10-frame attack compared to a 7-frame jab and is -5 on block. 2,1,1,2 could possibly work as a combo ender if you have no meter.

Since Cassie does't really have a safe low starter (F3 is safe on block, but its got a 19-frame startup and advances you forward, which can easily be countered), her B1,3 should be used after you've conditioned your opponent to block high since it will Krushing Blow on a standing block, or as a whiff punish for a meterless launcher.

ScreamQueen

Rockin' Sindel since '95
I'm loving playing as her (and believe me Cassie was the last person I thought I'd be maining) And thanks to this thread I've got some really good stuff down for midscreen, corner, KB and Oki, thanks guys.

But, frustratingly, I'm still losing out to gimmicky play. In a back and forth match I generally come out on top, but I'm still getting blown up by say, a projectile spamming (purple-misted) Jade, or a Kabal playing runaway with air/ground/mid saws all day. I know it takes a lot of defeats to learn that stuff (this isn't my first rodeo with MK), and I'll find my way around it, but its a bummer to competently win deep, intense battles and be like "wow I'm improving" then to go 0-2 to some kind of gimmick because you can't find your way around it.

Thanks for all the amazing tech, guys :)

Last edited:

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Sonicfox released his tier list and he has cassie in S tier. He says one of the things that makes her S Tier is she has a strong corner game... like what?
If he means ways to restand or mix up the opponent then sure, but she has like very little ways to do some huge corner combos in her Digital Soldier variation.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
If he means ways to restand or mix up the opponent then sure, but she has like very little ways to do some huge corner combos in her Digital Soldier variation.
I feel like the restand is all she has. What mix ups does she actually have? F4 is a mid starter and you have to commit to the overhead which leads to little or no damage. Sure you can cancel into low amp gunshot but that's a commitment just for inconsistent combo and is stupid unsafe if you read it wrong and takes them out the corner if you get the hit confirm.

B1,3 is her only corner combo starter that keeps her opponents there but is full combo punishable on block which, again, is a risk. Her throw game is pretty predictable too. She doesn't want to get stuck in the corner since her getups aren't all that great so shes going to keep you there. Easy tech.

I'm not downplaying her here. I really think shes a low A+ tier character. But shes pretty technical to be effective and I feel like Sonicfox hardly elaborated factual evidence and since he has a huge following, more people who don't know how to lab and practice will just complain and then she will get nerfed...

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I feel like the restand is all she has. What mix ups does she actually have? F4 is a mid starter and you have to commit to the overhead which leads to little or no damage. Sure you can cancel into low amp gunshot but that's a commitment just for inconsistent combo and is stupid unsafe if you read it wrong and takes them out the corner if you get the hit confirm.

B1,3 is her only corner combo starter that keeps her opponents there but is full combo punishable on block which, again, is a risk. Her throw game is pretty predictable too. She doesn't want to get stuck in the corner since her getups aren't all that great so shes going to keep you there. Easy tech.

I'm not downplaying her here. I really think shes a low A+ tier character. But shes pretty technical to be effective and I feel like Sonicfox hardly elaborated factual evidence and since he has a huge following, more people who don't know how to lab and practice will just complain and then she will get nerfed...
You also have her F3,4 but it's slow as hell, slower than B1. I still use it though to mix up people and sometimes it catches them off guard if they're trying to press buttons. And most of them don't see the full string often so I've used that as well.

I don't think they'll nerf her, that would be absurd. They didn't change the breakaway and FB when all top players cried about it during the stress test so I have faith they won't just knee jerk nerf this time around.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
You also have her F3,4 but it's slow as hell, slower than B1. I still use it though to mix up people and sometimes it catches them off guard if they're trying to press buttons. And most of them don't see the full string often so I've used that as well.

I don't think they'll nerf her, that would be absurd. They didn't change the breakaway and FB when all top players cried about it during the stress test so I have faith they won't just knee jerk nerf this time around.
I really hope so lol it had me super scared. Can F3,4 keep them in the corner? If so, how?

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man

Aside from Erron, Cassie's arguably the most execution-heavy of the higher-tier characters. Even though she's got great neutral tools, you still need a lot of practice to be able to get the timing down on her combos, mainly in the Digital Soldier variation, and even then, she's not getting as much damage off of combos as other characters, and the damage that she does get, she needs to work to get. Like I posted yesterday in her variations threads, that's one area where her Yaas Queen excels since its easier to confirm a combo off of her AMPed Energy Burst than the AMPed Kneecappin, even though Kneecappin is still the superior move.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
Aside from Erron, Cassie's arguably the most execution-heavy of the higher-tier characters. Even though she's got great neutral tools, you still need a lot of practice to be able to get the timing down on her combos, mainly in the Digital Soldier variation, and even then, she's not getting as much damage off of combos as other characters, and the damage that she does get, she needs to work to get. Like I posted yesterday in her variations threads, that's one area where her Yaas Queen excels since its easier to confirm a combo off of her AMPed Energy Burst than the AMPed Kneecappin, even though Kneecappin is still the superior move.

I totally agree with you