What's new

Chernyy Volk's Black Manta Bible (Work In Progress)

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
The ender for max damage is b11u3~4, j3~db3. Not hard at all. Requires maybe two hours in the lab of practice to make muscle memory.

I don't find it terribly easy off some combos, especially online, feels like if you don't catch them just right it's easy to drop the float j3 db2. Def possible and I use it, but like I said I was just speaking from s purely SUPER easy standpoint.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Recorded the S3 punish as well. It's on Robin, but you can see how good the carry is, even more so if you were to end in Shark Attack.

I'm a big fan of using this concept but ending in B23~Torpedo to leave them standing with those sexy advantage frames.

Tweedy

Noob
Why are half the pros top 5 this and top 10 that? That doesn't really say anything at all. He definitely doesn't have top 5 meterless midscreen damage. That doesn't even make sense.

Top 10 and top 5 shouldn't replace "good" and "great" especially if untrue.

Harley, Catwoman, Batman, Canary, Robin can all get more meterless midscreen than an optimized b11u3 combo, off the top of my head. That's 5 unless I cannot count.

Edit: All of them get just as practical or more practical meterless damage btw. I didn't list like wowo for example who has to use a low to get high meterless damage midscreen. Harley gets hers off anything, Catwoman off of a 10 frame mid and low, Batman off a 10 frame mid and 7 frame punisher, Canary off of unreactable 50/50s, Robin off of a hit confirmable overhead. Just want to cover my bases because I may not come back to this post.

This is also all off the top of my head too so i'm sure there's more. Hopefully from now on we can just use great or good to describe something and not "OMG TOP 10 TOP 5 OMG WATCHMOJODOTCOM".

Last edited:

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
Why are half the pros top 5 this and top 10 that? That doesn't really say anything at all. He definitely doesn't have top 5 meterless midscreen damage. That doesn't even make sense.

Top 10 and top 5 shouldn't replace "good" and "great" especially if untrue.

Harley, Catwoman, Batman, Canary, Robin can all get more meterless midscreen than an optimized b11u3 combo, off the top of my head. That's 5 unless I cannot count.

Edit: All of them get just as practical or more practical meterless damage btw. I didn't list like wowo for example who has to use a low to get high meterless damage midscreen. Harley gets hers off anything, Catwoman off of a 10 frame mid and low, Batman off a 10 frame mid and 7 frame punisher, Canary off of unreactable 50/50s, Robin off of a hit confirmable overhead. Just want to cover my bases because I may not come back to this post.

This is also all off the top of my head too so i'm sure there's more. Hopefully from now on we can just use great or good to describe something and not "OMG TOP 10 TOP 5 OMG WATCHMOJODOTCOM".
Watchmojo lists are so sick tho.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
ive heard his float cancel pressure is key to pressuring with him. can someone tell me more?

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
It's not. You'll get d2'd for it all the time.
not entirely true, his b2 float cancel is probably the best one, at max range d2's will whiff, and if people are just mashing d2's, the b22 string has a small gap which means they'll get wrecked for trying that if you Don't float cancel. so if your gonna do float cancel pressure do it off b2.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I think Manta's s2 is pretty good. The strings off of it are safe, 21 into mb laser is safe and it'll catch someone mashing after a d1 on hit.

What's the problem?

Chernyy Volk

I think Manta's s2 is pretty good. The strings off of it are safe, 21 into mb laser is safe and it'll catch someone mashing after a d1 on hit.

What's the problem?
213 leaves him in an awful position because he loses his neutral spacing. 21~laser is a bill because while it builds insane meter, it's always punishable and MBing it gives him shit meter recoup and bad positioning spacing wise. No way to space it out to make it safe. 2d3 as part of a float cancel or jump in combo is the only use for it. Doing it after d1 on hit is a useful thing to keep in mind but is also very high risk low reward. Still not worth it.

Chernyy Volk

not entirely true, his b2 float cancel is probably the best one, at max range d2's will whiff, and if people are just mashing d2's, the b22 string has a small gap which means they'll get wrecked for trying that if you Don't float cancel. so if your gonna do float cancel pressure do it off b2.
Yeah but people can always backdash the cancel and now you're a sitting duck. You can walk back and whiff punish in a lot of cases. You should only be using b22 to check walk backs and when they clearly aren't watching their feet.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
213 leaves him in an awful position because he loses his neutral spacing. 21~laser is a bill because while it builds insane meter, it's always punishable and MBing it gives him shit meter recoup and bad positioning spacing wise. No way to space it out to make it safe. 2d3 as part of a float cancel or jump in combo is the only use for it. Doing it after d1 on hit is a useful thing to keep in mind but is also very high risk low reward. Still not worth it.

What risk? Mb laser is safe. Both standing 2 strings are safe. You could probably hit confirm 2,d3 into mb rockets for the combo.

"Bad positioning." You made that up. That's an extremely vague talking point.
If you hit 213 midscreen, not only does it put you in f2 range, but if they backdash you can blow it up on a read with the full string. In fact, from that distance, a lot of wake up attacks won't hit you. So you can shimmy and if they jump you can d2, you can poke if they dash, forward dash if they backdash, etc. I don't buy this talking point at all.

Also, b1 reaches from the space that 21 mb laser leaves you at. So does f2.

Also, 21 laser builds about half a bar. So if you do 21 mb laser you build half of what you spent back and you've done good chip damage.

Also, laser is plus on hit, so if you hit them with 21 laser you get a d1 check if you have them in the corner. Once they respect the d1 check you can go into another string or do more chip. You can MB Laser late into it's animation so if they block it you can mb and stay safe.

Again, how is this bad again? What exactly is the risk of using a safe, hit confirmable string?

Chernyy Volk

What risk? Mb laser is safe. Both standing 2 strings are safe. You could probably hit confirm 2,d3 into mb rockets for the combo.

"Bad positioning." You made that up. That's an extremely vague talking point.
If you hit 213 midscreen, not only does it put you in f2 range, but if they backdash you can blow it up on a read with the full string. In fact, from that distance, a lot of wake up attacks won't hit you. So you can shimmy and if they jump you can d2, you can poke if they dash, forward dash if they backdash, etc. I don't buy this talking point at all.

Also, b1 reaches from the space that 21 mb laser leaves you at. So does f2.

Also, 21 laser builds about half a bar. So if you do 21 mb laser you build half of what you spent back and you've done good chip damage.

Also, laser is plus on hit, so if you hit them with 21 laser you get a d1 check if you have them in the corner. Once they respect the d1 check you can go into another string or do more chip. You can MB Laser late into it's animation so if they block it you can mb and stay safe.

Again, how is this bad again? What exactly is the risk of using a safe, hit confirmable string?
A: The string is not hit confirmable. It's staggerable if you're making hard reads on what the opponent does but definitely not hit confirmable.

B: I thought 21~bf1 MB leaving people at b1 distance was good too until I found everyone in the game can auto pilot d1 and d2 you for even trying. Also, Superman can f2 you, SG can b1 you, all the good advancing normals in this game still beat you.

C: Of course you can do it in the corner, but you're better off using d1 instead of trying to hit with 21.

D: I meant 213 on block is awful. Yes it's safe, but you're stuck right there in point blank with fuck knows who. 213 on hit is also not great, f2 is backdashable, wakeup d2-able, d2 will whiff if they're smart and just get straight up or they wakeup d2, they have no reason to respect or fear the situation after this string except maybe a meaty laser. I'll test that today and make triple sure because I definitely could be wrong.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Yeah but people can always backdash the cancel and now you're a sitting duck. You can walk back and whiff punish in a lot of cases. You should only be using b22 to check walk backs and when they clearly aren't watching their feet.
im still going to keep using the b2 cancel, they can back dash but then i can just cancel the float and now they're in f2 range again. its not something im going to exclude from my game plan.

Chernyy Volk

im still going to keep using the b2 cancel, they can back dash but then i can just cancel the float and now they're in f2 range again. its not something im going to exclude from my game plan.
Oh yeah that's fair man. It's personal playstyle. I tend to play this character in a pretty lame conservative manner, so that cancel doesn't really fit in with that.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Oh yeah that's fair man. It's personal playstyle. I tend to play this character in a pretty lame conservative manner, so that cancel doesn't really fit in with that.
i usually force the opponent to come to me, especially when i have the life lead, however if im trying to open them up, the b2 options are great for that, and you forget that j3 has massive range on it, not the easiest thing to back dash away from, especially if you move forward after they do so. its a tool ive been using in the neutral too, instant air float into j3 cancel for + frames.

not to mention, the b2 stuff in the corner is amazing. when you got people watching for b2 float, b22~rays, theres a good chance you may be able to stagger b2 as well.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
But he ain't Supergirl lol. His combos does take a good amount of work to execute to get some decent damage.
No he doesn’t. Your execution must be limited if you think his combos are challenging. Good timing and you should be mailing his blockstrings/combos.
Or maybe it’s just me.
-shrugs-
I’m a marvel player so maybe it is just me.

Chernyy Volk

i usually force the opponent to come to me, especially when i have the life lead, however if im trying to open them up, the b2 options are great for that, and you forget that j3 has massive range on it, not the easiest thing to back dash away from, especially if you move forward after they do so. its a tool ive been using in the neutral too, instant air float into j3 cancel for + frames.

not to mention, the b2 stuff in the corner is amazing. when you got people watching for b2 float, b22~rays, theres a good chance you may be able to stagger b2 as well.
I just haven't had the luck with the b2 stagger stuff. Gets poked out of every time.