What's new

Chernyy Volk's Black Manta Bible (Work In Progress)

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
Getting started as Manta

Health: 1050
Footsies: A
Pressure: A
Punishment: A
Damage: B+
Hit Confirmability: S+
Counter Poke Game: C
Screen Control: B+
Chip: C+
Corner Game: A+

Yomi
I've been thinking long and hard about how to describe what exactly it is Manta DOES, and it's a bit difficult explain. There's a huge misconception that he's a chip out character, not only do I think this is a HUGE misunderstanding of him, I would argue that the Manta is losing if he's having to resort to chipping somebody. Manta is essentially a bully, both in terms of real threat and implied threat. Manta has good footsie tools, not great, and he has great space control inside his personal death box (this is inside f2 range, outside of d1 range) and uses pushback and ambiguous spacing scenarios to make the opponent think hard. He's the best anti masher character in the game, a lot of his slightly negative on block situations having block stun that punishes people for not having precise counter poking practiced up. He's 100% a space/corner control character, and everything about him is built to facilitate that. I firmly believe Manta has some of the best corner pressure in the entire game. We'll go into this later.

The Good Buttons
1 - It may be 8 frames, but it has long reach and punishes a lot in this game other characters can't. 123 is the most versatile s1 string in all of inj2, and it might be THE best one in the entire game. This string will have it's own entire section.

b1 - Manta's go to footsie tool. Superb for whiff punishing, he gets a solid meterless BnB off of this. At the highest level though, this string becomes a bit obsolete once you learn how to microwalk s1 punish things.

f2 - It's a half screen mid that leads into a -2 string with pushback and allows him to whiff punish things no one else in the game can from distances no one else can. It also sets up a lot of his frame trap game. This is also what you'll start flight pressure mindgames off the most.

b2 - The primary function of this is catching people walking backward. It's one of the best lows in the game for doing this. It's also obviously used like every other low for just catching people not ducking. Manta gets solid meterless damage off of this (30%), and this opens up his reset meta. This is also a key flight cancel pressure normal.

d1 - Manta's d1 is good for stopping neutral advances and that's about it. d1~ray is one of the worst d1 punishes in the game for reason I'll cover later. It's only good in the corner due to d1~ray on hit jailing into d1~ray again. We'll get to that later also.

3 - YOU NEED to learn to use this for the relevant punishes. It leads into Manta's highest BnB damage as well as into float cancel meterless combos. 33 is a forbidden string though, never use it. It's utterly useless.

2 - I used to think this normal was garbage, but it's actually insanely useful in selective applications. 2d3 is an excellent meaty string easily hit confirmable into ray if blocked or rockets or float (in the corner) into a full combo. 21 primarily serves the purpose of being a battery (meter build) string.

j3 - It's the best j3 in the game. +3 minimum at almost any height when blocked, consistently gives full combos on hit that do significant damage, also another primary way of starting your flight pressure meta.

Combo Logic
Cancels into Teleport (df3)

f21

Cancels into Rockets (db2)
b22
2d3
s3

Float Combo Starters
1~4
b22~4
3~4
2d3~4 (corner only)

Bounce Cancels
123 (f3 only)
f21 (f3 only)
b22
2d3
s3

Combos

I was gonna be comprehensive but honestly just watch my video.

General Gameplay Strategy

Alright, I know the Yomi section brushed on this but I do want to get into more detail what this character does. The thing I love about Manta most is that he's one of the most playstyle flexible characters in this game, but he also does the two things that make an ideal Injustice 2 character exceptionally well. He takes away your turn for absurd periods of time and turtles super well. He's also capable of rushdown, although this is done by using sequences to build meter, make people afraid to move, make them guess on gap based offense over and over again. Manta's corner game is also top 5. He puts you in the corner box of death WoWo style where most characters are forced to take life or death risk reads to get out. Once you corner somebody, whether by turtling and side switching them there, he kinda does the same shit to everybody. If it's especially a MU where you can bully the character, pushing them to the corner ASAP is recommended. It's worth giving up damage for.

If a character has no zoning options or, very limited ones like Robin, Canary, Aquaman, Sub Zero etc the strategy is to get the life lead and just run away using stutter stepping. Manta has the best backwards stutter step in the game period, making him ideal for clock running especially in MU's where it isn't ideal to even risk getting touched once (I.E Robin, The Flash etc). Against zoners, usually the strat is to get in and bully them with flight pressure mind games and just constantly using f213, whether it hits or gets blocked, to push the corner positioning. Obviously air harpoon and teleport are there to help you out with this, but both of those tools are selectively useful, and against some characters just not worth using at all. It's sometimes better to just block and walk your way in.

So, Manta's gameplan is more or less built on four gameplay pillars. These pillars are...

1: Consistent harassment to bait the opponent to crack

2: Abusing pushback based situations where you might as well be plus despite being minus

3: Turtling and running away with the life lead if the opponent doesn't have enforceable zoning, having to come to Manta pretty much constitutes a winning MU for him

4: Optimization optimization optimization. Manta's damage is above average. Squeezing out every bit of damage or situational benefit is essential, especially because at the highest level clean hits are few.

We're going to do sections covering all of these things.

Flight Cancel Pressure
This is Manta's main way of running offense. This is extremely mindgame and conditioning heavy, but it's so oppressive and there are so many permutations that the opponent has to worry about that the chances of this getting consistently interrupted are few. This might be the longest section of the guide, and for good reason. There's a lot to go over.

So for starters, here are the useful, usable flight cancels in order from most to least plus.
J3
F2
F21
B2
D1
F21 is the flight cancel you'll tend to use the most often just due to accessibility but also due to the positioning your flight leaves you in. The thing is, how plus these are matters, but it also matters where the flight cancel leaves you, some of these less plus or slightly negative cancels still body certain characters. We'll also get into that.

So... how this works. J3 out of flight is always +3, J1 out of flight is always +1, J2 seems to be -2/3, something like that. These are only relevant to perfect cancels and landing, because your pressure while in flight is based on your opponents inability to reach you + wonky block stun making gap interruptions either difficult to do or require reversals that can be blown up if the Manta makes the read.

Last edited:

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
His damage just needs to be buffed. It takes WAAAAY too much work to open up and get successful combos with the reward being very minimal. Fun to play, YES. One of the fastest, YES! All tools to outplay opponents, YES! Does good amount of damage, WOMP! I believe that's all he needs to make him more viable. Well....I'm sure there's more, but that's just my take on it.

Chernyy Volk

His damage just needs to be buffed. It takes WAAAAY too much work to open up and get successful combos with the reward being very minimal. Fun to play, YES. One of the fastest, YES! All tools to outplay opponents, YES! Does good amount of damage, WOMP! I believe that's all he needs to make him more viable. Well....I'm sure there's more, but that's just my take on it.
He does higher damage than Supergirl. I'm not sure where this idea comes from that he does no damage.

Chernyy Volk

But he ain't Supergirl lol. His combos does take a good amount of work to execute to get some decent damage.
They don't tho.

Everything is just b11u3~4, j3~db3 or b11, b11u3~db3 as your post launch followup. It's super braindead. Float cancel combos aren't either. You just need execution that'd be required in other fighting games to pull them off.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
First, very cool, I look forward to seeing this fleshed out and finished up over the next couple days. Do you have any gameplay vids? It can be a little tough to find Manta gameplay sometimes.

Second
I gotta disagree man, I feel like his damage isnt bad at all. I wouldnt call it "high" but its solid enough that I dont see it as an issue of any kind.

b22 - 337 1 bar
2d1 - 374 1 bar
f21 - 328 1 bar

raw b3 - 371 (434 mb)
raw f3 - 355 (417 mb)

B11u3 - 255 no bar (more possible, this is poverty combo)

d2 - 207 no bar (more possible, this is poverty)

raw j3 - 327 (i think, somewhere around there) no bar.

Just some basic examples.. Those numbers arent anything amazing but they are decent, on top of his chip potential.. and that's not running any double 123 combos, or trait loops, just super simple string into launcher into (usually) B11, B11u3xdb3 or B11, 123xbf1. Its a shame that b12 doesnt lead to more damage (silly me thinks it should be + too, because reasons). And if you put the time in for his more difficult stuff in many situations his damage gets better.

Again, I dont think he's high damage or anything, but Ive never thought of his damage as holding him back in any way. I wont go in to what I think holds him back from being "strong" tier-wise here since its not the purpose of the thread/

Matthew Phelps

GOTS HeavyHandz
He has great gimmicks. For example F2 into rocket.. then do whatever you want like b22. Its a gimmick but it works after you condition them to f213.

Chernyy Volk

First, very cool, I look forward to seeing this fleshed out and finished up over the next couple days. Do you have any gameplay vids? It can be a little tough to find Manta gameplay sometimes.

Second

I gotta disagree man, I feel like his damage isnt bad at all. I wouldnt call it "high" but its solid enough that I dont see it as an issue of any kind.

b22 - 337 1 bar
2d1 - 374 1 bar
f21 - 328 1 bar

raw b3 - 371 (434 mb)
raw f3 - 355 (417 mb)

B11u3 - 255 no bar (more possible, this is poverty combo)

d2 - 207 no bar (more possible, this is poverty)

raw j3 - 327 (i think, somewhere around there) no bar.

Just some basic examples.. Those numbers arent anything amazing but they are decent, on top of his chip potential.. and that's not running any double 123 combos, or trait loops, just super simple string into launcher into (usually) B11, B11u3xdb3 or B11, 123xbf1. Its a shame that b12 doesnt lead to more damage (silly me thinks it should be + too, because reasons). And if you put the time in for his more difficult stuff in many situations his damage gets better.

Again, I dont think he's high damage or anything, but Ive never thought of his damage as holding him back in any way. I wont go in to what I think holds him back from being "strong" tier-wise here since its not the purpose of the thread/
You actually get higher than this.

b22 = 350 or so
2d3 = 383+
f21 = 345

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.

b22 = 350 or so
2d3 = 383+
f21 = 345
Yeah, but he mentioned execution as a limiting factor, so I was listing numbers off the absolute easiest stuff I know of. I haven't been keeping up so he may have super easy higher damage stuff I'm not aware of though.

Chernyy Volk

Yeah, but he mentioned execution as a limiting factor, so I was listing numbers off the absolute easiest stuff I know of. I haven't been keeping up so he may have super easy higher damage stuff I'm not aware of though.
The ender for max damage is b11u3~4, j3~db3. Not hard at all. Requires maybe two hours in the lab of practice to make muscle memory.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
isnt s2 a good oki tool tho? i mean i know his rockets and bf1 are great too, but i occasionally use s2 as a oki option.

Last edited:

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge

b22 = 350 or so
2d3 = 383+
f21 = 345
yeah, but those combo's involve doing float, slightly moving forward while floating into j3~db3, its more damage sure, but i prefer the much more consistant b11 b11u3~db3 instead

also, to the guy who mentioned the b11u3 punisher, your go to punisher for b11u3 is b11u3~4, j3, j3~bf2. does 295 on superman.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
I'll have to really explore it, I just know that for the way I play the game with the character it's pretty irrelevant and too risky if it doesn't work.
its more so character dependant, like characters with semi invincible wakeups an stuff. vs characters like black adam i just do whatever tho, usually instant float into j3 or j2 cancel since he can't do shit about it.

Chernyy Volk

yeah, but those combo's involve doing float, slightly moving forward while floating into j3~db3, its more damage sure, but i prefer the much more consistant b11 b11u3~db3 instead

also, to the guy who mentioned the b11u3 punisher, your go to punisher for b11u3 is b11u3~4, j3, j3~bf2. does 295 on superman.
I've gotten pretty consistent with it. It's not that hard. I agree though in the clutch b11, b11u3~db3 is better.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
and when talking about the instant float frame traps, s2 is pretty effective there due to it being a mid, but d1 is usually my goto normal after that, especially in the corner.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
I think the optimal combo traitless off of b1 is b11u3, d2, b11, b113 xx db3. Should also be the optimal after 3 xx 4, j2 xx rocket loop as well. Better corner carry as well.

Chernyy Volk

I think the optimal combo traitless off of b1 is b11u3, d2, b11, b113 xx db3. Should also be the optimal after 3 xx 4, j2 xx rocket loop as well. Better corner carry as well.
I'll try it. If it works I'll add it for sure.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Good stuff. I however suggest u put up the damage numbers are the BnB's posted in OP so that we get a better suggestion of what kind of damage we are expecting for those that might want to pick him up