What's new

Cheetah - Starting off in the Jungle! (Neutral Guide)

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
Hey friends!

So its been a few days and Cheetah is a mystery to the world! She has a really weird neutral and its not very clear how best to start with her.

It could be some time and development before we iron out the best way to play her, however some people will want a general idea about what buttons to use and when to use them.

Here is a video showing one way to play her in the neutral using her dashes to close and open up space to get your offence going. No point in knowing combos with her if you can't even get near someone to land a hit.

In future videos we'll look at options for beating wake-ups and devastating oki set-ups.

sIllverback

Lin Kuei Grandmaster
As someone who just picked up Cheetah, this was really helpful. Coming from a Street Fighter background (aside from MKX and Injustice 1), I think I already have a small feel for how to play her.

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
As someone who just picked up Cheetah, this was really helpful. Coming from a Street Fighter background (aside from MKX and Injustice 1), I think I already have a small feel for how to play her.
Nice!

Cheetah is going to be so fun to watch, everyone is going to have their own style!

cashthesehands

monster masher
Thanks for sharing the info! I've also had a lot of luck with a short range lunge from outside of jump distance into sweep, into mind games. I haven't played much with lunge cancels from block pressure but I'll try it out today. Keep it up!

Ok so im having trouble having ppl respect my staggers especially after a hit confirmed d1 or d3. They are poking or just d2. What's the best way to beat this? Does her 22 (mid mid) b2 (mid) or b1 (low) beat that or should i stagger with those strings instead of 12 and 11? Sorry im not online to test and it may be my execution/timing

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
Ok so im having trouble having ppl respect my staggers especially after a hit confirmed d1 or d3. They are poking or just d2. What's the best way to beat this? Does her 22 (mid mid) b2 (mid) or b1 (low) beat that or should i stagger with those strings instead of 12 and 11? Sorry im not online to test and it may be my execution/timing
OK so at the moment nobody knows how to block or even try to. They are mashing and as a command grab character this sucks. If you know your opponent is always hitting buttons do b2 into high grab dbf1 and it will tick on hit. Sadly it wont on block but is something at least.

Secondly you'll find going for less grabs and tons of d3s/f3s far better in the current meta. You can also do b12throw or hit confirm anything into a bounce cancel for damage.

I am using s2 and 2,2 and hit confirming or lunge cancelling, high strings are pretty bad atm and you will get people blocking more. In finding 2 db1 tick to be effective after a jump in, but it all depends on the opponent.

D2 is cancer in this game, as it both anti airs and covers in front of the opponent they also seen to low profile highs which is why i use 22 a lot more.

I hate the idea of having a one size fits all button like d2 but its just how it is, as cheetah player we just need to find a way around it.

OK so at the moment nobody knows how to block or even try to. They are mashing and as a command grab character this sucks. If you know your opponent is always hitting buttons do b2 into high grab dbf1 and it will tick on hit. Sadly it wont on block but is something at least.

Secondly you'll find going for less grabs and tons of d3s/f3s far better in the current meta. You can also do b12throw or hit confirm anything into a bounce cancel for damage.

I am using s2 and 2,2 and hit confirming or lunge cancelling, high strings are pretty bad atm and you will get people blocking more. In finding 2 db1 tick to be effective after a jump in, but it all depends on the opponent.

D2 is cancer in this game, as it both anti airs and covers in front of the opponent they also seen to low profile highs which is why i use 22 a lot more.

I hate the idea of having a one size fits all button like d2 but its just how it is, as cheetah player we just need to find a way around it.
omg thanks man i was wondering if it was just me. I had a feeling that i would have just start using her 22 b12throw more. Atleast her 22 is 9 frames i believe and easy to hit confirm. Too bad her 332 string su is so slow that it gets poked even though its a mid too. Thanks again for your tips

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
omg thanks man i was wondering if it was just me. I had a feeling that i would have just start using her 22 b12throw more. Atleast her 22 is 9 frames i believe and easy to hit confirm. Too bad her 332 string su is so slow that it gets poked even though its a mid too. Thanks again for your tips
Also s2 is quite plus on hit so if you do go for a tick throw but they release block you are safer due to them being in alot of hit stun!

I was wondering if you'd experimented with j3 after the f2,3 1+3 in the corner? It doesn't look like her body even goes behind the opponent, but you still get the crossup message, and she can land in front or behind depending on how deep you do it. I made a quick example here, starts at :31 in -

Gruff757

The Gruff
Also s2 is quite plus on hit so if you do go for a tick throw but they release block you are safer due to them being in alot of hit stun!
Yeah but it's still like -13 or 14, not too sure which one yet, not that it matters much, since it's still full combo punishable lol

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
Yeah but it's still like -13 or 14, not too sure which one yet, not that it matters much, since it's still full combo punishable lol
db1 recovery is 24 frames and S2 is plus 20 on hit.

i tested with wonder womans d1 d2 punish and cheetah is safe after s2 db1 if they don't block and get hit by the s2.

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
I was wondering if you'd experimented with j3 after the f2,3 1+3 in the corner? It doesn't look like her body even goes behind the opponent, but you still get the crossup message, and she can land in front or behind depending on how deep you do it. I made a quick example here, starts at :31 in -
I do really like this! nice find!