What's new

Character Gear Diversity (Cosmetic Tier List)

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
With Evo having ended and no upcoming patch news on the horizon lets discuss something more casual before then.

The purpose of this list is just a fun ranking for different you can make each character look with gear and shaders. I think each character has some great options and overall like the gear system, but some characters gear just seems boring and leaves more to the imagination.

Below is my Personal working list with some notes.
This List does not including anything cool that may come from a full set of gear. (Sub-zero's penguins, Supermans blue Lasers, etc.)

S Tier:
Batman - He's Batman. Lots of shaders with big varieties in color. Helmets all look different. Armor has great variety and all appear distinct. Only complaint is shaders don't change the color of his batarangs.

Sub-Zero - Has some of the best gear options in the game that really take advantage of all the past Mortal kombat games. Each piece with the different shaders feels reminiscent of a past MK ninja appearances with a twist.

Flash - Just like Batman, Flash takes advantage of his multiple appearances throughout the years. Lots of masks and helmets and wings, including the option to not clutter him with armor, and some amazing shaders, brings a ton of variety.

Scarecrow - His new appearance allowed for lots of gear options. Pieces featuring bones, metal plates, masks and hats, and magically floating jackets, allow for loadouts that shout out to the earliest of horror movies. Also has some great shaders.

Harley Quinn - Lots of different pieces of gear that have a big change on her look. Also one of the few characters that can wear very little, or completely dress it up. Lots of nods to past iterations, and the shaders all mesh well together.

Catwoman - Tons of variety with many gear pieces allows you to go for a unique look to catwoman. Influence from past and current iterations of the character. From the head piece to the accessory each piece, and great shaders allows for a lot of outfit ideas.

Blue beetle - Masks that greatly differ, armor pieces with unique looks, some of the best options for accessory. Highlights affected by great looking shaders.

Red-Hood - Adding a hood on top of a helmet, on a jacket worn over more armor is ridiculous, but lots of different looks. Helmets styles as well as the possibility to have the armor without the jacket and include the red bat symbol allow for great variety.

A Tier:

Bane - Amazing headgear variety with great shaders. The rest of his armor pieces look good but just make him bulkier with armor, some less bulky/skintight clothing pieces would have been much appreciated.

Green Lantern - Shaders for all the other lanterns and gear pieces with those other lantern symbols allows for a lot of different looks and variations even without too wildly different pieces.

Doctor Fate - Base look is great and the added gear just makes him look more powerful and menacing. Lots of great helmet designs and added armor in other pieces don't feel overdone.

Wonder Woman - Has decent gear options with the most boring being the helmet pieces. The movie gear was nice and options to have many different looking torso/arms/leg/weapon pieces along with shaders allow for a distinct look.

Supergirl - Similar to Wonder Woman, Supergirl's variety comes in gear that doesn't have to do with her head pieces. Supergirl has variety with skirts/shorts/leggings, short/long sleeve and some decent shaders.

Black Adam - Possible to remove cape for classic look. Unique, Egyptian influenced armor along with some great shaders makes for good looking variety.

B Tier:

Poison Ivy - Many great head pieces, nice skirt and arm options, and decent shader choices. There's diversity to Ivy but not too much differences at the end of customization, the torso needs more variety and the accessories don't do much for differentiating.

Robin - Decent headgear variety with hoods or masks with no hoods. Great shaders but a lot of the armor options look the same. The variety comes in two flavors of looking more like Robin, or opting for more a Nightwing look.

Artocitus - Actually good looking gear with variety. All appears as bulky rocks but the volcano style influenced by the highlighting changing color allows for some nice diversity, but ultimately looks similar.

Firestorm - Has some cool helmets, and shaders, but everything else is pretty boring, and don't do much for his appearance. His accessory also feels the most pointless.

Brainiac - Headgear can look cool, all armor gear just makes him bulkier. Great accessory options, and shaders aren't to bad.

Cheetah - Great Tribal looking gear, but that's about all there is to Cheetah's gear. Some bands added here and there. Cheetah is Cheetah and shaders don't add much.

Darkseid - Has neat gear options with some really cool looking pieces and that work well if the shaders. Nothing to really make him stand out.

Black Canary - Appears to have lost a lot of gear options since beta. Can't remove her jacket any longer. Shaders are great looking, jacket has some variety, legs as well, everything else is standard.

Deadshot - Great helmet variety (with some really ugly ones.) And some variety on his wrist mounted guns. The rest of his gear and shaders aren't very impressive.

Captain Cold - Shader highlights are cool but colors are mostly lame. Helmets mostly suck, with a few cool ones in between. Arm/torso pieces just add more stuff on top of his coat.

Aquaman - Crowns mostly look the same. Chest pieces all appear similar, or he's shirtless. Some intresting arm and leg pieces, decent trident variety, but even with good shaders its all about as boring to look at as his gameplay is.

Swamp Thing - One of the best custom accessories. The rest of gear options feel underwhelming, I'm not sure what's going on with it, current bark armor leads much to the imagination.

Superman - Decent looking pieces of gear and good looking shaders but nothing that really makes him stand out. Besides some color variation, Superman with gear looks like a slightly bulkier superman.

C Tier:

Green Arrow - Good shaders but a big minus he's lacking his hood from inj 1 even though you see it in his ending. The robin hood hat, and ball caps with sunglasses with the secret agent look is funny, but goofy. Some decent looks you can give him, but overall missing real variety.

Cyborg - A mostly robotic character and all his gear turns out to be incredibly boring. Each piece of gear looks similar. Cyborgs shader's are really nice especially with the highlights, but doesn't do much to make cyborg look different.

Gorilla Grodd - There is only so much you can do. He has some pretty neat regal looking gear, but over all it all kind of feels the same. Shaders are also pretty boring.

Joker - With how much history there is surrounding the Joker his gear really feels like an afterthought. I was looking forward to make different iterations of the joker but instead was left with gear that just looks out of place. His gear just seems to add more pieces of shoddy looking "armor" to his clothes and his headgears are hats and 1 decent looking hairstyle, only difference being facepaint.

I got tired of writing something for each character towards the end so if some parts look lazy and hard to read, it's because they are, I apologize in.

Feel free to disagree and post your own opinions below!

Last edited:

Macdaddy

STEAM: Bloodychaos2 XBOX: Macdaddy256969
I agree mostly but Catwoman Blue Beetle and Red Hood are A/B tier and Scarecrow is S tier. Green lantern may also be F tier although he has some cool gear, he has some of the ugliest gear imaginable.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
I agree mostly but Catwoman Blue Beetle and Red Hood are A/B tier and Scarecrow is S tier. Green lantern may also be F tier although he has some cool gear, he has some of the ugliest gear imaginable.
I originally had scarecrow in S tier, and did a lot of debating on removing him and agree that i probably should have left him at S. I disagree with the others, as I was focusing more on the diversity and looks you can do opposed to how good you can make them look. Otherwise a lot of characters would be in lower tiers.

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
I can only hope they're saving the real gear for future updates because most is just really underwhelming and has me wishing they just stuck with cool skins. I miss Hawaiian Shirt Joker, #600 Wonder Woman, and Stephen Amell Arrow.
Save for the premiers, skins really should be gone for good. I'll never get over how freaking Grundy of all characters had more skins than Sinestro and Black Adam in IGAU.
I won't miss the all the dumb russian skins nor those phony ass brazillian skins from MKX either.

D

Deleted member 58466

Scarcrow: All the gear pieces are meh, and just seem like slapped on pieces of metal. Not a big fan.
Atrocitus: Pretty cool, but usually the best gear are usually the ones with the most glowy parts.
Darkseid: Again, just random hunks of metal, looks way to bulky and bland.
Deadshot: Some sick helmets ( and some silly ones ), and only one good chest piece, but I think he looks super cool with his epic gear.