What's new

Question Character against zoners?

Plejcina

Sab Ziro KURVO
I main Sub Zero that is extremely pathetic against zoners. Can you suggest a kombatant that is good against zoners but somewhat easy to play with?

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Which zoners are you having trouble with? Smoke is a really good counter zoning hit and run character type... but if you are talking about Kabal then I wouldn't go that route.

Plejcina

Sab Ziro KURVO
Which zoners are you having trouble with? Smoke is a really good counter zoning hit and run character type... but if you are talking about Kabal then I wouldn't go that route.
basically anyone that can throw projectiles, because anyone that plays against me will just spam projectiles and im basically fucked. i had trouble with sindel, kenshi, kitana, etc. some of my friends suggested smoke but i wanted to see what the experts of tym had to say :D

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
basically anyone that can throw projectiles, because anyone that plays against me will just spam projectiles and im basically fucked. i had trouble with sindel, kenshi, kitana, etc. some of my friends suggested smoke but i wanted to see what the experts of tym had to say :D
Smoke does well in those MU's IMO. He beats Sindel for sure, and probably goes about even with Kenshi and Kitana. Might slightly beat Kitana IMO.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
Smokes shake basically shuts down all projectiles so u shouldnt have any problems with those matchups. Kenshi is a different story but this mu is pretty much even.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
You can beat zoners with sub-zero. Stop relying on the tools of the character and practice your basics. Basic moves are used by All characters. Dash block. Duck without blocking to avoid and watch projectiles fly over your head. Smoke seems best for you to practice shake and the bf3 cloud. Otherwise you will have the same problems no matter which character you use

Plejcina

Sab Ziro KURVO
You can beat zoners with sub-zero. Stop relying on the tools of the character and practice your basics. Basic moves are used by All characters. Dash block. Duck without blocking to avoid and watch projectiles fly over your head. Smoke seems best for you to practice shake and the bf3 cloud. Otherwise you will have the same problems no matter which character you use
i can beat them sometimes but what most of my opponents do is get a life lead and just go fullscreen and spam. most of the times when i get to them i lose my health due to chip damage. dont worry i know about dash blocking and ducking but some projectiles cant be ducked under.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Honestly,

you'll become a stronger player by sticking with sub in all those matches. You really buff up your patience by grinding the kitana matchup. Sindel teaches you to get through zoning. Kenshi teaches you... well, I'd counterpick for this one as it's pretty much a 9-1.

That said,

If you want a character that is good vs zoning...

Go with the recommended Smoke.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Smoke, even Kenshi and....dare I say it?....Nightwolf could be good counterpicks! Or you could 'spam' back with your own zoner :DOGE

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
i can beat them sometimes but what most of my opponents do is get a life lead and just go fullscreen and spam. most of the times when i get to them i lose my health due to chip damage. dont worry i know about dash blocking and ducking but some projectiles cant be ducked under.
Sub-zero enhanced slide has armor

Decay

King of the Bill
When I played mk9 religiously, nightwolf was my main and he did very well against zoners

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
To add to it,

I feel like I play the kitana mu pretty well. What you want to do is try to get the life lead by making a read at the beginning of the round. Once with the lead (no matter how slight) just walk backwards ducking all iafs that she throws. Look to trade with a ground fan for more damage. What you're doing by walking back is taking her to the corner. Once you're close, look for something you can armor with your slide to put her in the corner. If she tries to ass out, ex slide her right back in.

Also, on any knockdown she is free on wakeup as your D4 goes under her cutter.... so don't be afraid to pressure on wakeup. If you think she will do fan lift... throw an ice blast.

There's probably more I'm forgetting, but that's just sort of a quick version of what to do in that MU.

I'm not too familiar with Sindel, so get some more Sub mains to give insight on that.

And Kenshi...

Counterpick. lol

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
I main Kenshi....that is my answer to zoners... Freddy is also a good choice.

But in all reality learning proper spacing, patience, and block cancels is your best bet. Grinding all my matches out with Cage and Sub Zero really helped level me up, dont just flock to a character you feel will have an easier time because you will still get blown up.