What's new

Character Abilities That Should be Base Moves

mrapchem

Noob
This thread is part tongue-in-cheek, part serious. I'd like to know which your favorite character's abilities you think ought to be base moves and why. For me, it's as follows:
  1. Sub-Zero: Rising Ice - it maximizes his damage and makes his 124 KB quite usable mid-screen
  2. Johnny Cage: Pissed off - like Rising Ice, it maximizes his damage and gives him combo versatility
  3. Baraka: Blade Charge - gives him an easy, mid-screen confirm off of the 44 KB and off JIKs
  4. Scorpion: Death Spear Kombo - Optimizes damage, gives him an added mix-up that is balanced due to its risk
  5. Sonya Blade: Krushing Kounters - allows Sonya to damage opponents looking to poke her out of her high combo-starters
Let's see what the rest of the Kommunity thinks.

mrapchem

Noob
Subzero can already easily land the 124 KB midscreen any time
That's true, but not for the same damage as with Rising Ice. Plus, he can get it off his overhead with the greatest of ease because his current combo is easy to do and also easy to drop.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Kano: Snake Bite, for more combo options

Jade: Extra combos, because she doesn’t have much in that regard

Sindel: Low projectile, because her full screen options are zero in var1. Hair flip doesn’t reach far enough and is super readable and punishable.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
I would like to see Kitana have ground war base, I don't know if that would make her crazy good (I don't think it would personally but I'm not super in the competitive scene)

mrapchem

Noob
I would like to see Kitana have ground war base, I don't know if that would make her crazy good (I don't think it would personally but I'm not super in the competitive scene)
She would be better, but not broken or anything like that. She already had this exact thing in MKX.

Most of the de/buff moves (Shao’s taunts, Nightwolf’s spirit animals) should be base kit. Maybe not Kotal or Terminator’s, but would Shang suddenly become overpowered if he got his healing vase thing in all variations?

Kung Lao - Air Teleport
Scorpion - Misery Blade
Sindel - Anything to make her float move useful
Shang - Up Skulls (I don't remember the name)
Frost - Microburst (the freeze special)

This is just the ones off the top of my head, but if I had to pick just one it would be Skulls for Shang.

Zviko

Noob
I thought this was more about the signature moves that are either equipable or aren't in the game at all and not about what would make them good in this game specifically.

All the signature moves should be default. I'm thinking of Raiden's teleport for example. Why the hell is that equipable ability. That's like Scorpion's teleport or spear was equipable too. Same with Sub's slide. Then you have something like Sonya's leg grab which isn't even in the game. Disappointing.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I thought this was more about the signature moves that are either equipable or aren't in the game at all and not about what would make them good in this game specifically.

All the signature moves should be default. I'm thinking of Raiden's teleport for example. Why the hell is that equipable ability. That's like Scorpion's teleport or spear was equipable too. Same with Sub's slide. Then you have something like Sonya's leg grab which isn't even in the game. Disappointing.
Exactly, because NRS are biased themselves with characters. Like you pointed out, notice they gave precious Scorpion his teleport and spear in EVERY variation but dickover Raiden to one variation with his teleport. I mean it's not like he's had the damn move since MK 1 or anything...oh. Wait.

mrapchem

Noob

The only issue that I can foresee is for a character like Sub-Zero, his MK2 puddle is in this game, but that move is busted as hell. If it were made a base move, he'd be legitimately vomit-inducing. Some characters' classic moves probably should be base moves, but in the context of this game, some of them might not need to be.

Though I will admit, why should Kollector and Cetrion get Raiden's teleport while Raiden himself has to equip it? That's silly to me.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Exactly, because NRS are biased themselves with characters. Like you pointed out, notice they gave precious Scorpion his teleport and spear in EVERY variation but dickover Raiden to one variation with his teleport. I mean it's not like he's had the damn move since MK 1 or anything...oh. Wait.
Jax dash punch says hi.
Also one of his variations replaces his GOTCHA GRAB of all things for a round of applause.

Zviko

Noob
Some characters' classic moves probably should be base moves, but in the context of this game, some of them might not need to be.
Of course you can say that now after 8 months and knowing how the game is balanced. To me that just says they balanced it wrong. First you give all the characters and their variations classic moves as default and then you balance the game accordingly. Not the other way around. Because classic moves are what made all these og characters what they are today. New moves are welcome but classic moves are a must. Imo.