What's new

General/Other - Jason Voorhees changing Jason's command grab motion

themanDan

The saw is family
Hey guys, just wondering what you guys would think about this idea for a possible change for Jason.

I don't know about you guys, but I can't stand Jason's command grab motion, it's that wonky down+back+forward motion. I know this motion is practically effortless on peripherals such as hitboxes, but on a pad, it's really damn annoying to pull off, especially during those "down to the wire" moments.

I feel that if he had this motion changed to a simple down+forward/down+back motion, like Kotal Kahn's command grab, it could help Jason out a bit.

That's pretty much it, I'd like to keep this as short and to the point as possible, so I'll leave at that. Thanks for reading!

Note: This is just food for thought, I don't main the character, so I'm not out here saying this is what should definitely be changed for Jason, in fact, I don't think this is a very big problem for Jason mains, I'm probably just shitty at this command grab motion lol. I'm just curious what others think.

Last edited:

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Hey guys, just wondering what you guys would think about this idea for a possible change for Jason.

I don't know about you guys, but I can't stand Jason's command grab motion, it's that wonky down+back+forward motion that unfortunately carried over from Injustice. I know this motion is practically effortless on peripherals such as hitboxes, but on a pad, it's really damn annoying to pull off, especially during those "down to the wire" moments.

I feel that if he had this motion changed to a simple down+forward/down+back motion, like Kotal Kahn's command grab, it could help Jason out a bit.

That's pretty much it, I'd like to keep this as short and to the point as possible, so I'll leave at that. Thanks for reading!
Practice man, it is super easy.

You get sloppy and lazy when you go from a DBF to just a DB command grab. The best way to practice it in my opinion is do special cancel pokes into the command grab.

themanDan

The saw is family
Nah. Leave it as it is. If they were to make it a down-back motion, they would make it super punishable on whiff like Kotal's.
For sure they would have to slow it down if they did make the change, but I think Kotal's command grab is what makes him quite possibly the best grappler in the game, and I believe a good deal of it is because of how simple it is to pull off.

The Highlander

There can be only one
For sure they would have to slow it down if they did make the change, but I think Kotal's command grab is what makes him quite possibly the best grabbler in the game, and I believe a good deal of it is because of how simple it is to pull off.
Down back forward really isn't that hard. Error has that same motion and he may very well be the best 'grappler'.

trufenix

bye felicia
For sure they would have to slow it down if they did make the change, but I think Kotal's command grab is what makes him quite possibly the best grabbler in the game, and I believe a good deal of it is because of how simple it is to pull off.
kotal's the (2nd) best grappler in the game because he's got a million tick set ups, has nothing to do with the motion. Why don't you try alternate controls?

themanDan

The saw is family
Down back forward really isn't that hard. Error has that same motion and he may very well be the best 'grappler'.
Whoops, 'grabbler' lol.

kotal's the (2nd) best grappler in the game because he's got a million tick set ups, has nothing to do with the motion. Why don't you try alternate controls?
Alternate controls seem to work exactly the same. Idk, maybe it is just me, but the motion doesn't seem very consistent, sometimes I'll get a choke or even just a F2. If I had a hitbox, there would probably be no problem, but pad just fits me so well in every other category, the motion on the pad just feels incredibly awkward :/

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
First off make sure you press the button after the motion is finished, and well, practice, the motion isn't too hard tbh

trufenix

bye felicia
Alternate controls seem to work exactly the same. Idk, maybe it is just me, but the motion doesn't seem very consistent, sometimes I'll get a choke or even just a F2. If I had a hitbox, there would be no problem, but the motion on the pad just feels incredibly awkward :/
It's not just you. It's an idiotic input that belongs in KoF games. But NRS games have the lowest bar of entry execution wise and this has been their goto "hard input" since mk4, i don't think its going anywhere.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I only have issues with these kind of inputs when they have have similar specials. Eg cassies brawler command grab is dbf2 and flip kick is db2 so I sometimes get the flip kick instead of the command grab which completely puts me off playing her. If her grap was dbf1 then it would be no problem.

I think it just takes practice.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I only have issues with these kind of inputs when they have have similar specials. Eg cassies brawler command grab is dbf2 and flip kick is db2 so I sometimes get the flip kick instead of the command grab which completely puts me off playing her. If her grap was dbf1 then it would be no problem.

I think it just takes practice.
f,d,df is a much more natural motion than d,b,f. Also just frames in tekken are used for special properties and such. This is just for a basic command grab. Personally I'm for simple inputs without unnecessary complications. If not all 2 direction+button inputs are being used then why do a 3 direction one? And if you are going to do 3 directions why not just make it more natural with something like "b,d,f"?

MrProfDrPepper

f,d,df is a much more natural motion than d,b,f. Also just frames in tekken are used for special properties and such. This is just for a basic command grab. Personally I'm for simple inputs without unnecessary complications. If not all 2 direction+button inputs are being used then why do a 3 direction one? And if you are going to do 3 directions why not just make it more natural with something like "b,d,f"?
I honestly don't find half circle motions natural, I find dbf motions way more natural and fluid, to me half circle motions feel so awkward

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I honestly don't find half circle motions natural, I find dbf motions way more natural and fluid, to me half circle motions feel so awkward
Can't say I'm not surprised but it wouldn't be impossible. Why though? I find the sweeping motion from back to forward in a halfcircle way more intuitive than going from down to back then flicking forward. Also, would you prefer b,d,f over a 2 direction input? I don't think Jason uses all the ones possible. Do you play on stick?

Infinite

Noob
I couldn't disagree more, I like the dbf movement as the sort of default command grab input. It helped me to think of it as doing reverse fireball motion followed quickly by forward. The only input's I think have any leeway with the wonky argument are Jacquiqui stanky leg and maybe spectral ermac's flight cancels.

Sorry, level up bro.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I couldn't disagree more, I like the dbf movement as the sort of default command grab input. It helped me to think of it as doing reverse fireball motion followed quickly by forward. The only input's I think have any leeway with the wonky argument are Jacquiqui stanky leg and maybe spectral ermac's flight cancels.

Sorry, level up bro.
Same 3 questions to you. So you prefer "d,b,f" over say "b,d,f"? Would you prefer the grab be a 2 direction input like "d,b"? Do you play on stick?

MrProfDrPepper

Can't say I'm not surprised but it wouldn't be impossible. Why though? I find the sweeping motion from back to forward in a halfcircle way more intuitive than going from down to back then flicking forward. Also, would you prefer b,d,f over a 2 direction input? I don't think Jason uses all the ones possible. Do you play on stick?
because im on a square gate of a fight stick so a sweeping motion is clunky as fuck, for me going down back and then flicking feels good and natural, and i personally like dbf for command grabs, i think 2 direction inputs should be saved for other specials

Infinite

Noob
Same 3 questions to you. So you prefer "d,b,f" over say "b,d,f"? Would you prefer the grab be a 2 direction input like "d,b"? Do you play on stick?
Half circles might be easier on stick, but pad and hitbox don't really care. Either way, I think the difficulty is at a very acceptable and fun level. I think double motions is where it starts to get annoying, especially when there are similar moves that misfire.

I would not prefer db in this instance, though I acknowledge it's easier.

The motion isn't the issue, it's the lack of ticks. Commando has the same problem.

One advantage Kotal has over other grapplers is that his tick strings have overheads and lows in them, which can blow up the option armour select. Erron's ticks suddenly don't seem so strong when you have meter and have the timing down for the reversal, but with Kotal it becomes trickier.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
The motion isn't the issue, it's the lack of ticks. Commando has the same problem.

One advantage Kotal has over other grapplers is that his tick strings have overheads and lows in them, which can blow up the option armour select. Erron's ticks suddenly don't seem so strong when you have meter and have the timing down for the reversal, but with Kotal it becomes trickier.
Honestly, I think ticks are the least of Jason's problems. He already has pretty solid ticks, B1 dbf2 and d1 dbf1 come to mind. He also gets ticks off of B2, F2 and 24, best part is that if they take the hit, the grab will actually combo.