What's new

Changes you would make to enhance MK11 presentation.

ZeroSymbolic

Social Justice Barbarian
Thread was closed before I could reply but I was asked if not sexy ladies, what would I suggest to give MK11 a more explosive production.

Well, here are the ideas I got:

-I would bring back friendships and animalities. I think friendships would be really important in the age of online gaming; there is currently no way in the game to express to your opponent that you respected their ability. Friendships might help reduce toxicity. Animalities would just look really damn cool.
-I would have blood stay on the ground like it did in MK: DA. While the fatalities in this game are brutal and violent, they are only a short part of the game, and sometimes they are skipped altogether.
-I would do away with Krushing Blows, they feel like a gimmick that happens more out of randomness than intention. I would change Fatal Blows to function more like Ultra's in Street Fighter, or even like X-Ray attack in MKX. The current system brings an already slow game to a hault, and it makes fights feel stolen sometimes.
-I would add more speech to characters before fights and I would make those parts of the game unskippable as I find that more immersive. Then I would have characters shout their abilities ala Street Fighter.
-I would ad some kind of visual queue so that players knew when they were + - or =. This is would help with newbies barrier of entry, and demystify a lot of stuff. Maybe make this optional for people who think it looks tacky.
-I'd bring back stage traps, again on a toggle.

How bout y'alls?

Hostile_18

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42.
Is there actually a thread to talk about the politics of MK11 in a sensible manner? (I know the last thread wasnt the ideal frame work) I really do think it's important to discuss in a mature manner.

As for this thread just little things for me;

-More Stages (paid for if necessary)

-More variety in skins (paid for if necessary)

-Tag Battle offline

-Street fighter style group battles

-Human avatars replacing zombies on select screen.

-Pennywise!

Anarchist_Gib

Shao Kahn main, please your send prayers!
I want that battle damage from mk9 back.
I want more speciality skins like movie Shang.
I like your suggestion of friendships returning.
I want taunts to be manually selected.
More stages, or adjusted versions of existing ones like Shao Kahns arena.

ZeroSymbolic

Social Justice Barbarian
Is there actually a thread to talk about the politics of MK11 in a sensible manner? (I know the last thread wasnt the ideal frame work) I really do think it's important to discuss in a mature manner.

As for this thread just little things for me;

-More Stages (paid for if necessary)

-More variety in skins (paid for if necessary)

-Tag Battle offline

-Street fighter style group battles

-Human avatars replacing zombies on select screen.

-Pennywise!
I like your suggestions, as far as reasonable political talks, I wish we could do it, I've been trying but I don't possess great tact. People can't handle it sadly. My DM box is good for it though.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Agreed with points 1, 2 and 3 ..... with current graphics technology nowadays, would be a blast animalities and friendships in the modern MK games ..... KB is a new mechanic that indeed, is not necessary to be a "stay feature" in future games, and FB , yeah, make them more like special moves to be one time only to be used in the match

more stage fatalities are needeed ..... secret fights with secret characters , that for some reason are no present in MK11 ....

more Klassic skins, as Johnny Cage and Liu Kang MK1 style, and a "kreate a fighter exclusive mode" , something where you can only play using a character you have created, mixing any special moves present in the game .... of course, a mode like this is for fun only, not be mixed with other serious competitive modes, hehe

Hostile_18

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42.
I like your suggestions, as far as reasonable political talks, I wish we could do it, I've been trying but I don't possess great tact. People can't handle it sadly. My DM box is good for it though.
It's a shame if such conversation has to be hidden away as it will inevitable effect future games from NRS going forward and without feedback (both for and against such infringements/direction) it is going to be left in the hands of people with very strong political leanings. As hardcore Mortal Kombat fans most of us will hang in there (and some will be happier for the change) but I'm never going to celebrate a lack of choice in these games unless its artistic vision that guides it and not some "politically correct" agenda. Again just to reiterate I'm not advocating anything extreme. Anyways I'll leave it at that in here so not to derail and hope as a community we can engage in civil discussion about it at some point :)

ZeroSymbolic

Social Justice Barbarian
It's a shame if such conversation has to be hidden away as it will inevitable effect future games from NRS going forward and without feedback (both for and against such infringements/direction) it is going to be left in the hands of people with very strong political leanings. As hardcore Mortal Kombat fans most of us will hang in there (and some will be happier for the change) but I'm never going to celebrate a lack of choice in these games unless its artistic vision that guides it and not some "politically correct" agenda. Again just to reiterate I'm not advocating anything extreme. Anyways I'll leave it at that in here so not to derail and hope as a community we can engage in civil discussion about it at some point :)
The moderation on this site won't touch it. Discord mods won't touch it. Everyone is scarred to death if you even mention that you aren't a super-SJW all inclusive type, and it is sad. It's killing entertainment.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I think the biggest misconception is that they're going to read a forum and make their art decisions based on that. Imo the MK9 ship has sailed, and the 90s era one too, and we're in a new time.

So it just ends up being a lot of arguing about nothing. In the end, everybody expends their hot air, people get mad at each other, and it won't change those choices one bit. It's time for people to acknowledge that and move on, instead of repeatedly trying to beat a dead horse.

ZeroSymbolic

Social Justice Barbarian
I think the biggest misconception is that they're going to read a forum and make their art decisions based on that. Imo the MK9 ship has sailed, and the 90s era one too, and we're in a new time.

So it just ends up being a lot of arguing about nothing. In the end, everybody expends their hot air, people get mad at each other, and it won't change those choices one bit. It's time for people to acknowledge that and move on, instead of repeatedly trying to beat a dead horse.
I think that if moderation would just let things roll we'd eventually learn how to have those discussions, but anything remotely controversal gets locked up.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I think that if moderation would just let things roll we'd eventually learn how to have those discussions, but anything remotely controversal gets locked up.
We've been at it for years, and as those threads go on it always gets worse, not better.

All it takes is a couple crazies to toss in some aggressive political fringeness, or misogyny, or a couple other categories of fire-starting silliness and the thread will never come back from it.

So that ship has also sailed :) Not worth the drama.

ZeroSymbolic

Social Justice Barbarian
We've been at it for years, and as those threads go on it always gets worse, not better.

All it takes is a couple crazies to toss in some political fringeness, or misogyny, or a couple other categories of fire-starting silliness and the thread will never come back from it.

So that ship has also sailed :) Not worth the drama.
It didn't work in the past. Let's not try anymore. Got it.

Hostile_18

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42.

Is there not a middle ground to be found between what Mortal Kombat was? (Which was I think we all agree excessive in terms of sexuality) and what it has become now? Why is Mortal Kombat having these internal problems while other fighting franchises have transitioned into this modern era without these issues surfacing? Or at least haven't alienated a portion of their fanbases.

Is the best thing to do really to not discuss it but just accept it and go down a road where ever that takes us...

I just feel these are important issues. When its swept under the rug it feels like people in favour of these changes are pushing it by silencing conversation about it or worse make people feel they are "wrong" for wanting more variety, choice and equality in a game that we are undoubtedly all heavily invested in. I know extreme posts on either side can muddy the waters though and are usually the ones that illicit the most responses.

ZeroSymbolic

Social Justice Barbarian
Is there not a middle ground to be found between what Mortal Kombat was? (Which was I think we all agree excessive in terms of sexuality) and what it has become now? Why is Mortal Kombat having these internal problems while other fighting franchises have transitioned into this modern era without these issues surfacing? Or at least haven't alienated a portion of their fanbases.

Is the best thing to do really to not discuss it but just accept it and go down a road where ever that takes us...

I just feel these are important issues. When its swept under the rug it feels like people in favour of these changes are pushing it by silencing conversation about it or worse make people feel they are "wrong" for wanting more variety, choice and equality in a game that we are undoubtedly all heavily invested in. I know extreme posts on either side can muddy the waters though and are usually the ones that illicit the most responses.
Frankly I'm about done with it. I don't think I'm going to buy these agenda games anymore. Like I'm doing the research here on out. This sucked.

Hostile_18

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42.
Frankly I'm about done with it. I don't think I'm going to buy these agenda games anymore. Like I'm doing the research here on out. This sucked.
I think you do ultimately have to vote with your wallet. It's just a shame if you like the overall game that certain elements can infringe on that that may be small now but could become something alot more oppressive later on.

My stance for the next game is to wait till release and evaluate rather than pre order like I did before. I think its hit this franchise harder than most others because we have gone from one extreme to another in about two entries. Presumably alot of the behind the scenes talent has changed over or there are fears over certain outlets/critics negatively affecting a game that isn't seen to be as "woke" as they would like.

ZeroSymbolic

Social Justice Barbarian
I think you do ultimately have to vote with your wallet. It's just a shame if you like the overall game that certain elements can infringe on that that may be small now but could become something alot more oppressive later on.

My stance for the next game is to wait till release and evaluate rather than pre order like I did before. I think its hit this franchise harder than most others because we have gone from one extreme to another in about two entries. Presumably alot of the behind the scenes talent has changed over or there are fears over certain outlets/critics negatively affecting a game that isn't seen to be as "woke" as they would like.
Thing is this game from a gameplay standpoint isn't that great either. It's balanced but only because it's so damn shallow. There is nothing charming here.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
So because a game doesn't have an abundance of female characters showing skin, it's suddenly an "agenda game"... Whauw.

Kinda smells like misplaced entitlement in here. -sprays air-cleanser around- Ah, better...
Let's not derail the thread any further.

ZeroSymbolic

Social Justice Barbarian
So because a game doesn't have an abundance of female characters showing skin, it's suddenly an "agenda game"... Whauw.

Kinda smells like misplaced entitlement in here. -sprays air-cleanser around- Ah, better...
It is though, they did this because they feared backlash from SJW journalists, and now we have a very bland game with very bland characters. It sucks. I think a bunch of people who bought this game are where Hostile and I are. The real sales hit is going to show up on MK12, because people like us aren't going to buy in anymore.

Hostile_18

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42.

I see what your doing... but it wont work. To be clear were talking about choice (a variety of outfits) and equality (for male and female) :). Were talking about politics effecting the game making process and how we feel about that and what it means for future releases. Please don't try and incite anyone.

Last edited:

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I would like to see MK get some of the "fun" back in. Jonny Cage is really the only remnant of the old school MK days when it was kinda silly and knew it. Do not get me wrong I like the ultra dark vibe it has now, and I think they should keep that... but I also would like to see a return of some of the silly. There is a few things you can point to like the old school arcade cabinet brutality for Lou Kang or the eyes bugging out for Kabal... but even so. I would like them to lean into that a little and bring a slightly lighter and more fun feeling to the long term game. Again, keep the main vibe and storry mode dark and brooding, but after 500 hours in game, having some light jokes and humor would be awesome, and not jst in the intros that no one ever watches.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
It is though, they did this because they feared backlash from SJW journalists, and now we have a very bland game with very bland characters. It sucks. I think a bunch of people who bought this game are where Hostile and I are. The real sales hit is going to show up on MK12, because people like us aren't going to buy in anymore.
And I ask again, if showing skin was out of the question, what else would you suggest could be done to give the game some more variety, spice, pizzazz or whatever you wanna call it? Because all I see is you wanting T&A, and not coming with any other suggestions that could break said blandness of character designs. Because there are indeed other things one could do to a character to make them appear more interesting without having them show more skin, but again, that's your only suggestion so far... and you wonder why people throw you into the pile of other immature creeps.

I see what your doing... but it wont work. To be clear were talking about choice (a variety of outfits) and equality (for male and female) :). Were talking about politics effecting the game making process and how we feel about that and what it means for future releases. Please don't try and incite anyone.
As responded above, there are other choices to be done for making better variety to character designs than just showing more cleavage and thighs.
But that's not actually what you want, is it? You want the T&A, right? That's what you're complaining about, no?
Feel free to show me I'm wrong though.