What's new

Cetrion General Discussion Thread

Fellow Cetrion lovers, I invoke your help.
Can we do anything in the Geras match up? As far as my experience goes, it is a damn terrible matchup, unless there is something i'm missing, it's possibly a 7-3.
Can't zone, Geras can punish all of Cetrion's zoning moves with sand trap for a fatal blow and a free get in.
Can't compete with Geras buttons neither at mid or close distance. How do you play this match up? It is winnable? Am i missing something?

haketh

Noob
Fellow Cetrion lovers, I invoke your help.
Can we do anything in the Geras match up? As far as my experience goes, it is a damn terrible matchup, unless there is something i'm missing, it's possibly a 7-3.
Can't zone, Geras can punish all of Cetrion's zoning moves with sand trap for a fatal blow and a free get in.
Can't compete with Geras buttons neither at mid or close distance. How do you play this match up? It is winnable? Am i missing something?
He can't punish Instant Air Hell Ray & if they don't know that & try to Sand Trap punish you get a reversal Geyser or Ground Pound Punish. It actually makes it super obnoxious for him & I switch from Shang to Cetrion for that MU.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Instant air hell’s wrath is literally all she has in the Geras match-up, that’s not even enough to keep him out at all imo.

He can't punish Instant Air Hell Ray & if they don't know that & try to Sand Trap punish you get a reversal Geyser or Ground Pound Punish. It actually makes it super obnoxious for him & I switch from Shang to Cetrion for that MU.
I gotta lab geyser punishing sand trap. I think last time i tried, he was able to block it and coutner me with a kb sand trap.

In combos 21 and f12 scale less than 11. That means we should be punishing with 21 or f12 when kB are not available.

Raw geyser, teleport, f12, f12 actually does more damage than the teleport, 11, f12 punish.
I have mentioned that in this thread like 2 or 3 times already. And for me personally doing fullscreen amp geyser, tele, 11,f13xxgeyser isn’t any easier than the same combo with f13,f13xxgeyser

ZeroSymbolic

Social Justice Barbarian
Dragon made Grand Finals at CEO playing Cetrion exclusively? Do I have that correct? What did he do against Scorpion and Geras? Jedi?

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
Hey all, I feel like there are plenty of cetrions so would like to ask for y'all to send 5 volunteers to come battle it out with the rest of the cast to watch match ups.

I know @SaltShaker and @Baconlord we're down so minimum need three more players. I'll also try and do some critical analysis to help players with the match ups to help anyone level up.
I'll play
Cetrion is great - I'm making my tournament return soon (!) and need more MU exp

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
I just meant how did he approach them? What normals did he use etc.
Oh I never saw him play against them but for Geras you want to use a lot of instant air hell’s wrath and make him use sand trap into punish. You have to be lame (more than usual), d3 under f2(1)2 and basically just out guess your oponent lol.

For Scorpion just play the neutral game against him and check him with geyser sometimes.

Like idk how to even comment on these match-ups. There’s not a lot going on other than outplaying your oponent’s straight up

How are you all playing the Erron Black MU?
@PLAYING TO WIN
its even. life lead changes everything. make sure you punish f4 amp with f1. do your best to react to f4 or slide with 11. throwing out a random 21 in jump range isn't a bad thing. know when he gets oki and just take the throws as it resets the neutral. a lot of jump back beams, check movement with a geyser if beam hits. if you seem him cancel the main string start mashing 11. worst you will eat is a d4 but make sure you block after you get hit by a d4 bc it gives him a free b2 or dash cancel b2.

its a solid even MU for sure.

Eldagrin

Add me on PS4 if you want to play some games
FoN definitely needed buffs, Spring Cleaning is still really good and the nerfs didn't change much there.

Dragon made Grand Finals at CEO playing Cetrion exclusively? Do I have that correct? What did he do against Scorpion and Geras? Jedi?
pre patch she could run away all day and do insta air beams bc they were safe vs sand trap... and they you could punish.

NOW... geras and many others can punish away teleport so the mu might be back in geras favor.

Her s1 is +3, use her f23 mid to condition them to stop pressing buttons and then start unloading her plus frames once you feel safe enough. You can frame trap s1 with her b32 so they respect it. Cetrion has ultimate shimmy game with her backdash combined with long range normals, a lot of her pressure game is creating situations where you can whiff punish your opponent because of that. She also has a very solid strike throw game off rock wall restand, you can condition your opponent to neutral duck after rock wall with grabs, and then full combo punish them with f2. But basically, her pressure revolves around 11, and f23. Unfortunately, nothing that comes after f2 is technically safe, so cetrion is playing with fire if she commits to this string, that’s why when I need to play safe I do things like max range f2 far rock wall or f2 amplified hells wrath. Max range f2 rock wall has TONS of pushback and you can full combo punish your opponent if they whiff anything inside the space it creates (this actually works a surprising amount of the time)

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
So it seems like the logical choice for an interesting third Cetrion tourney variation is:

1. Conflux of Elements
  2. Conflux of Elements
  3. Deadly Winds
They went out of their way last patch to add this move called Conflux of Elements, which basically is a move that will randomly do one of her four spells. All the buffs cost 2 bars of defensive meter to use. I don't know how good the move is with that cost but the spells themselves are awesome.

So you'd have this whirlwind zoning tool to help her zoning game with a unique spell mechanic. I know people tend to be against randomness like with Wonder Woman's trait in Injustice 2, but I like the idea of throwing out the spell and having to adapt to whatever you get. I doubt it would have much merit over the other variations but as long it's fun I'm game

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Her s1 is +3, use her f23 mid to condition them to stop pressing buttons and then start unloading her plus frames once you feel safe enough. You can frame trap s1 with her b32 so they respect it. Cetrion has ultimate shimmy game with her backdash combined with long range normals, a lot of her pressure game is creating situations where you can whiff punish your opponent because of that. She also has a very solid strike throw game off rock wall restand, you can condition your opponent to neutral duck after rock wall with grabs, and then full combo punish them with f2. But basically, her pressure revolves around 11, and f23. Unfortunately, nothing that comes after f2 is technically safe, so cetrion is playing with fire if she commits to this string, that’s why when I need to play safe I do things like max range f2 far rock wall or f2 amplified hells wrath. Max range f2 rock wall has TONS of pushback and you can full combo punish your opponent if they whiff anything inside the space it creates (this actually works a surprising amount of the time)
alright, thx for the tip, ill have to practice a bit.