What's new

Match-up Discussion Catwoman vs Green Lantern (The Feline Approach)

Krayzie

Safeties disabled. Krayzie mode engaged!
I decided to create a new thread for this. I feel like if you are a Catwoman player, then you know how difficult this match-up could get. I've really been studying this match because I honestly hate it really bad. Its not as bad as Batman, but its close.

Match-Up CONS:
1. GL has a huge lift range, and its able to blow up any jump whip attempt or forward dash.
2. B1 starts up at 9 frames, and has great range. It also starts up as a low.
3. Most characters can backdash the B1, let the 3 whiff, and punish. Catwoman cant do this.
4. You cant evade minigun...
5. Green Lanterns problem as a character is his slow dashing. However, this is only because characters are able to shoot some sort of projectile at him, and make it difficult for him to advance. Catwoman has no projectiles. She has a hit of armor on MB Catdash, but he can blow that up with MB missile.

Match-Up PROS:
1.Catwoman can successfully evade his missiles, even when he blows them up.(Unlike Batman.)
2. There is a gap in between minigun where you can meter burn catdash, however this is very hard to do. (Use at your own risk.)
3. His slow movement allows you to come up with a great strategy to get in, and plenty of time to stay back and make meter while you evade.
4. Unclashable damage.
5. GL's wake ups are risky against Catwoman.

I felt like I had to come up with a completely weird way to approach GL as a Catwoman player, and after playing the match with two notable GL players, I feel like it works. If you can get the lead, you can keep him out and force him to make mistakes.

I'm going to post two videos of this match in tournament play. One was from the Dojosports 5v5 tournament league against King Hippo, and the second against Wonder Chef this weekend at a local SoCal tournament. I lost the match against Wonder Chef, however it seriously could have gone either way. We actually both weren't even sure who was going to win after the timer ran out... lol

Now, my final thoughts on this before I post the vids... I still hate the match, but for those interested, this is my personal favorite approach against GL.

02:02:56
http://www.twitch.tv/themixup/b/450973183

Ra Helios

Omnipotent God-like Selina Kyle Player
I hate green lantern. He is so cheap l. He is not even original with his retarded green lantern might

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Quite a few can. Superman, Bladam, Nightwing, Grundy, Flash, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, more people that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Black Adam kan??

Doesn't he backdash too far? Nightwing too..

Grundy Armor's through it. That's not backdashing though. Just like Joker, Killer Frost, and Batman kan parry. (Not Zod though, guess you kan't win them all)

Arrow kan do it as well.

Edit: Nvm. Nightwing kan do it. Black Adam doesn't get a full punish but he gets lightning. (Either that or it's a really hard instant air dive kick after a well timed back dash.)

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Black Adam kan??

Doesn't he backdash too far? Nightwing too..

Grundy Armor's through it. That's not backdashing though. Just like Joker, Killer Frost, and Batman kan parry. (Not Zod though, guess you kan't win them all)

Arrow kan do it as well.

Edit: Nvm. Nightwing kan do it. Black Adam doesn't get a full punish but he gets lightning. (Either that or it's a really hard instant air dive kick after a well timed back dash.)
yeah Flash can only get Lightning Uppercut or MB Lightning Charge > Combo too. Still a punish is a punish.

Also grundy can backdash it and punish with standing 2 xx whatever (WC is guaranteed off of that or you can do MB Hands into reset.)

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
yeah Flash can only get Lightning Uppercut or MB Lightning Charge > Combo too. Still a punish is a punish.

Also grundy can backdash it and punish with standing 2 xx whatever (WC is guaranteed off of that or you can do MB Hands into reset.)

Flash kan do B22 if he did the backdash early...

Damn... Grundy is BS.....

Speaking of BS... ....Teach me ZOD! I'm practicing instant air shots right now... lol.

Reborn

Noob
Wow I did not know that you could evade the MB missles against Green Lantern. I think at the very least you should be able to do that same against Batman. Also would like to point out that if your opponent goes for b12(low/overhead) , you can d1 xx claws for a full punish. However this is pretty risky since if he does b13 (low/mid), you get full combo punished. Nice write up and very interesting approach to Green Lantern. I agree that it is definitely the best way to deal with Green Lantern (granted you have the life lead).

EDIT: Correction to GL strings.

Krayzie

Wow I did not know that you could evade the MB missles against Green Lantern. I think at the very least you should be able to do that same against Batman. Also would like to point out that if your opponent goes for b13(low/overhead) , you can d1 xx claws for a full punish. However this is pretty risky since if he does b1 into mid, you get full combo punished. Nice write up and very interesting approach to Green Lantern. I agree that it is definitely the best way to deal with Green Lantern (granted you have the life lead).

The problem with Batman is that he could meter burn his projectile, and the explosion is active long enough to hit you out of evade, making it useless in the match, unless you like to risk random damage at the Batman players choice. Green Lanterns isn't, he has to be smart about when to detonate it.

Ra Helios

how is he not original?
Because why they going to make green lanter
Might similiar to what raven does when raven move is built upon ermac move set. They could of use something else instead of the cheap move or nerf it so it won't hit you when jumping toward green lantern like raven gravity pull

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I posted this is another thread but I feel it's worth re-posting. If you stand block machine gun there's more pushback and you're not in range for his b+1 if you walk back. So you can block it and then get out of dodge, maybe even whiff punish a b+1, instead of being stuck in an endless guessing game. To me the hardest part of this MU is the footsies in b+1 range and this helps.

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
Wow I did not know that you could evade the MB missles against Green Lantern. I think at the very least you should be able to do that same against Batman. Also would like to point out that if your opponent goes for b12(low/overhead) , you can d1 xx claws for a full punish. However this is pretty risky since if he does b13 (low/mid), you get full combo punished. Nice write up and very interesting approach to Green Lantern. I agree that it is definitely the best way to deal with Green Lantern (granted you have the life lead).

EDIT: Correction to GL strings.

Probably because the active frames on Batman's last longer.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Just watched the Chef matches. Didn't know d+1 went completely under b+1,3~rockets. Nice.

And the first game being so lame it was a time out where no one lost a lifebar was awesome.

Reborn

Noob
Probably because the active frames on Batman's last longer.
Yeah I guess what I was trying to say is that they should nerf Batman's batarangs to explode quicker or buff Selina's evade to stay out a little longer so that you can approach the Batman matchup in the same way that Krayzie is approaching Green Lantern.

Kakashi

Noob
I just saw the video and saw that apparently you do not know what to do when GL do B13 + Missile, Catwoman can do forward dash and make a full combo when the missil is passing. this is easy to see and easy to do. Practice it ;)

I am a Catwoman player too and learned a lot in this match against GL

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
Yeah I guess what I was trying to say is that they should nerf Batman's batarangs to explode quicker or buff Selina's evade to stay out a little longer so that you can approach the Batman matchup in the same way that Krayzie is approaching Green Lantern.

I'd rather have Catwoman get buffed, because that would help her a lot against other zoners. Does her dodge go through interactables?

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
She can also do b+3 inbetween b+1,3~rockets. When you block b+1,3 just start mashing b+3. If he does machine gun you'll block it standing and nothing comes out. If he does rockets she will b+3 under the rockets and blow him up.

Krayzie

Just watched the Chef matches. Didn't know d+1 went completely under b+1,3~rockets. Nice.

And the first game being so lame it was a time out where no one lost a lifebar was awesome.

I'm actually used to dashing forward, I have no idea why I was trying to D1... lol

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
She can also do b+3 inbetween b+1,3~rockets. When you block b+1,3 just start mashing b+3. If he does machine gun you'll block it standing and nothing comes out. If he does rockets she will b+3 under the rockets and blow him up.
If your character has a low crouch hit box, you can do low normals to duck under rocket.

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
Because why they going to make green lanter
Might similiar to what raven does when raven move is built upon ermac move set. They could of use something else instead of the cheap move or nerf it so it won't hit you when jumping toward green lantern like raven gravity pull

Green lantern plays like a green lantern should play imo. I would like to see a reduction in the range the lift covers, but he needs to be able to use it as an anti air. too many jump happy characters in this game.

Ra Helios

Green lantern plays like a green lantern should play imo. I would like to see a reduction in the range the lift covers, but he needs to be able to use it as an anti air. too many jump happy characters in this game.
He don't need. It for anti air. If raven can't have it what make green lantern can have it? He is not original