What's new

Catwoman General Discussion. "The Claws Are Out!"

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Let's talk about Catwoman stuff.

For some reason this didn't exist. I thought maybe it should.

Please, at the request of a decent, organized human being, try not to fill this basket with too many combos or tech videos. Post those where they belong or start a new thread. Thanks.

*Also, I'd like someone with authority to Google something Selena said at one point that's emblematic of her character, slap it into the thread title, and sticky this.

TamedLizard

Buff George
"I wouldn't touch you to scratch you."
"Saved by kitty litter"
"Keep some pressure on that, sweetheart"
"Bats are just mice with wings'
"Life's a bitch, now so am I"
"My world is all just shades of grey"

Pick your poison. From various mediums. Personally, I think the "Keep some pressure on that" is extremely fitting lol.

Thingy

Retired account
for some reason I am getting b3s instead of low whip the majority of the time. Executing the db3 perfectly, yet still get the input error. So weird.

protools27

Rebel without a scene
for some reason I am getting b3s instead of low whip the majority of the time. Executing the db3 perfectly, yet still get the input error. So weird.
I hit the buttons both at the same time, and it comes out consistently. Similar to Cassie cages low starter from mkx

Thingy

Retired account
why am I seeing 1f2 coming out on whiff on PS4 streams? On XB1 the f2 does not come out if you whiff the 1....what is going on? Is it a glitch I am seeing when the f2 comes out after the whiffed 1?

why am I seeing 1f2 coming out on whiff on PS4 streams? On XB1 the f2 does not come out if you whiff the 1....what is going on? Is it a glitch I am seeing when the f2 comes out after the whiffed 1?
I have both PS4 and Xbone versions. The F2 does come out on whiff on both consoles. The rhythm of the inputs is slightly different when the s1 doesn't connect. You have to be very fast on whiff. Trust me, it works, I use it on xbone to condition people to block high and then mix with 2d2 on knockdown. My s1 almost always whiffs.

Thingy

Retired account
I have both PS4 and Xbone versions. The F2 does come out on whiff on both consoles. The rhythm of the inputs is slightly different when the s1 doesn't connect. You have to be very fast on whiff. Trust me, it works, I use it on xbone to condition people to block high and then mix with 2d2 on knockdown. My s1 almost always whiffs.
This makes me happy. Gonna work on it. I was salty when I was trying it and thought they nerfed it from Injustice 1. It was amazing pressure in the corner...soooo hype it is still a thing.

Something I discovered last night while working on spacing invincible wake ups as catwoman. A lot of Scarecrow's normals are considered projectiles. You can use High Feline Evade to dodge his F3 and D2 for example. If you read a F3 from mid screen or a meterburned F3, you can High Feline Evade and fullpunish with a F1 (if you're close enough) or a Cat Dash from anywhere. You also get a scratch for dodging it. I'm not sure if this is already known, but I was surprised. Haven't messed around with it on other characters yet, it was just before I went to bed.

Moms4lif3

Bruh.
Hey guys, I just picked up catwoman and I didn't play Inj1.
Do u have any tips about her neutral game? I tried some things and basically in neutral I did one of the following things:
B3
Df1
F1 string
Ji2
And low whip
Also I try to make the most of her amazing walk speed :) would appreciate tips a lot!
Dd3 and then either backdash or 3 worked sometimes as well but it's pretty risky going for the 3 haha

TamedLizard

Buff George
Hey guys, I just picked up catwoman and I didn't play Inj1.
Do u have any tips about her neutral game? I tried some things and basically in neutral I did one of the following things:
B3
Df1
F1 string
Ji2
And low whip
Also I try to make the most of her amazing walk speed :) would appreciate tips a lot!
Dd3 and then either backdash or 3 worked sometimes as well but it's pretty risky going for the 3 haha
You've pretty much got the gist it seems. Only main tool I don't see listed is B2. B2~whip is an excellent footsies tool. B2 also has great anti air properties though usually reserved for further off jump ins.

Oh and I like to throw 1F2 out in neutral from time to time. Recovers fast, is plus on block, and is hard to whiff punish.

Last edited:

HanSolo

Noob
People like jumping. I would practice landing air to air j2 into mb cat dash combo at different distances.

Also her d3 is pretty good.

Alright, here's my take. I've pretty much been playing Catwoman exclusively since release and I feel that although she has her strong matchups, and she's devastating in the corner with high damage, her neutral game just feels..... poor?

Without a long range zoning tool you're pretty much forced to play footsies on the enemy's terms the entire game, and even then B2 and F112 just feel mediocre at closing space. F112 startup is so god damn slow.

Couple these issues with the game being wake-up favoured in general, it feels just very difficult to get in (and stay in) with her. Sure, her low profiling allows her to punish certain characters heavily like Superman & Black Adam in the neutral, but when they resort to zoning it feels like the match is pretty much just on their terms. She's a character that seems entirely focused around punishing mistakes. The problem is, if your opponent doesn't make any, or makes very few mistakes, she feels quite helpless.

Just my opinions. Any one else feel the same way?

KillaGthug4Life

Believe in Magic yet? Let us Dance
Alright, here's my take. I've pretty much been playing Catwoman exclusively since release and I feel that although she has her strong matchups, and she's devastating in the corner with high damage, her neutral game just feels..... poor?

Without a long range zoning tool you're pretty much forced to play footsies on the enemy's terms the entire game, and even then B2 and F112 just feel mediocre at closing space. F112 startup is so god damn slow.

Couple these issues with the game being wake-up favoured in general, it feels just very difficult to get in (and stay in) with her. Sure, her low profiling allows her to punish certain characters heavily like Superman & Black Adam in the neutral, but when they resort to zoning it feels like the match is pretty much just on their terms. She's a character that seems entirely focused around punishing mistakes. The problem is, if your opponent doesn't make any, or makes very few mistakes, she feels quite helpless.

I played Catwoman a lot last injustice and am playing her more this game, but yes that has generally always been a concern of CW's gamestyle in that she relies on footsie and staying upclose, in Injustice one you could beat her by walking back and mbb3 on jump in or scouting out dash ins. Unfortunately Injustice is a game that favors projectile tools and wakeups for sure. I am starting to do some lab work to figure out how CW can stuff character specific wakeups and that's essential to being successful with her, I would advise checking out how she can beat wakeups more specifically.

As to the opponent that doesn't make any mistakes, I usually rely a lot on throws and d1 into mb trait. Throws do a great job to keep them close for pressure and not so much dependent on opening them up, and she has solid stagger strings for this: F1, 33, F2u3, even b12. Also d1 check after plus strings into trait is completely safe and does great damage, if you MB you're +5 on block which surprises A LOT of people and easy to open up.

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
You don't need a 50/50 to open someone up
Catwoman reminds me of Mileena in MKX, and Mileena had no real 50/50's, her overhead was 33 frames which is slower than Catwoman's F3, yet Mileena was top 5.
MB b3 and MB Cat Dash is your friend on space control/zoning characters

protools27

Rebel without a scene

I generally agree with the points you are making. I disagree that she doesn't have a good neutral tho. Her walk speed and long ranged normals mean you can play a really strong footsie game with most of the cast, and there are some chars that she simply bullies in the corner.

With that being said, it can definitely feel like she constantly has to chase, and it can be frustrating to open up players who play very defensively and respect her j2 and commit to blocking low. Having played her in inj1, I would say the biggest change to my game plan is that I am way more patient. I think you have to play her very patient. My mindset is, ok if you wanna back up, cool. But eventually you will be in the corner where my neutral and damage really shine.

With her great anti zoning tools and her great damage, I don't feel the need to rush in all the time, especially with a life lead. I'll turtle and make my opponent feel the need to come to me or to make a mistake, like jumping at the wrong time. To me catwoman in this game is less of a rush down character, and more or a spacing and punishing character.

Moms4lif3

Bruh.
I generally agree with the points you are making. I disagree that she doesn't have a good neutral tho. Her walk speed and long ranged normals mean you can play a really strong footsie game with most of the cast, and there are some chars that she simply bullies in the corner.

With that being said, it can definitely feel like she constantly has to chase, and it can be frustrating to open up players who play very defensively and respect her j2 and commit to blocking low. Having played her in inj1, I would say the biggest change to my game plan is that I am way more patient. I think you have to play her very patient. My mindset is, ok if you wanna back up, cool. But eventually you will be in the corner where my neutral and damage really shine.

With her great anti zoning tools and her great damage, I don't feel the need to rush in all the time, especially with a life lead. I'll turtle and make my opponent feel the need to come to me or to make a mistake, like jumping at the wrong time. To me catwoman in this game is less of a rush down character, and more or a spacing and punishing character.
I totally agree with ur last point! Unless the opponent has low or extremely fast projectiles u are not forced to try to rush in if ur full screen. I just try to evade projectiles with db2, build meter and scratches and walk them down whenever I have the chance. With her great ji2 u get into range pretty fast and once the opponent gets hit he basically loses 1/4 to 1/2 of a lifebar depending on u wanting to spend meter or not. Another thing with her I noticed is, that she has a good amount of meter most of the time so u can mb bf2 to get in if the opponent is not carefull about throwing out projectiles and once ur in u can just mb f3 to stuff wake ups and stay in. I honestly feel like people tend to just get outzoned in this game because they lack patience and don't use the counter zoning tools most characters have to their full potential. That being said, playing against good zoners can be frustrating but getting in on the likes of deadshot takes patience with most any character. I don't feel like that's a problem catwoman struggles with especially compared to other characters.

Moms4lif3

Bruh.
Here are some ranked matches just to show off how she's generally played
Great vid man! I like how u always shimmy back and forth in neutral u can close the gap to opponents to easily with her walkspeed :) that 33b2 ~ b3 conversion made me happy the meterless conversion can be tough online! I noticed u ended in df3 mb once any special reason for that or was that just for the heck of it lol ?
I actually played a superman yesterday and have to say she has good options against his eye laser zoning, u didn't have much trouble with that cyborg either. I think zoning in most cases is not that big of a problem for her fortunately, I also play cheetah and she sure has a harder time getting in :)