What's new

Strategy Catwoman BnB Starter Thread

boomboomlite

Женщина-кошка игрока
Hello ya'll! This is my first BnB combo thread, but I think if we all post here we can get a lot done. On my first day of playing the game, I ended up getting pretty good with Catwoman (CW for short).

CW is a rush down melee character with little to no zoning. You have to stay as close as possible to your opponent to maintain control of the match. Luckily, her dash (ff) is an amazing gap closer after your opponent hits the ground post-combo.
One of the key combos is:
  • ji2 f1-1-2 bf2 b3 This combo is your basic set up. Unfortunately, the f1-1-2 (called "ball of yarn" in game) strikes all mid with no mix up, so you have to be careful when you use it if you don't start in with a ji2.
Once you get that down, you can string it with some other stuff to get some decent damage combos:
  • ji2 f1-1-2 bf2 b3 f3* 1-1 4 (*when you do the forward 3, you have to time it so only the first part of the move strikes. Thus you will be in position to land the next step, the 1-1 4.) This combo with your Character Power at max stacks will do 37%
  • ji2 f1-1-2 bf2 b3 1-1 bf1 26%
  • ji2 f1-1-2 bf2 b3 3-3-3 28%
What is great about CW is that her Character Power is a fantastic finisher for combos. Get a nice juggle going and finish it with a 4, and it adds a good amount of extra damage. since she is so rush down oriented, your CP will gain stacks relativity quickly depending on how much pressure you apply.
Another great starter is her
  • f2-d3-1 combo. it has a great knock-up for you to work with. Also it is a mix-up, going from mid to low.
That's what i have down so far, add other things you think may work!

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
RunwayMafia the b3 into f3 mentioned here is what I was working on. this should be explored in terms of its juggle mechanics. I didn't have much time to test it, but it may have unique properties to it by whiffing the second hit intentionally.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
RunwayMafia the b3 into f3 mentioned here is what I was working on. this should be explored in terms of its juggle mechanics. I didn't have much time to test it, but it may have unique properties to it by whiffing the second hit intentionally.

I see...I see... I like it. What do you think will come of it? Extra Damage? Cross over set up? Elaborate to me your thoughts on WHY this is a good idea? I'm so blonde I tend to not understand the point of some set ups. ;)

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
I see...I see... I like it. What do you think will come of it? Extra Damage? Cross over set up? Elaborate to me your thoughts on WHY this is a good idea? I'm so blonde I tend to not understand the point of some set ups. ;)
I'm wondering if this can allow her to extend her combos beyond what might normally be possible. I'm wondering this because I noticed the first hit of f3 has a really strong knock up, since it's designed to anticipate the second hit that knocks them back down. however, the opponent needs to be fairly high in the air to make the second hit whiff.

tldr I'm not 100% sure of the implications, but it's something I plan to explore more. I really like Catwoman and at this point she's my main.

My go-to started is ji2 (or ji1 for crossups) b12d3 bf1 b3. I find the b12d3 string leads to more damage than any other starting string I've tried.

I tend to get at least 39% (depending on what I start with) with b12d3 bf1 b3 ji1 112 dd3 3. With a jump-in it does 40+, no meter or trait.
where you getting 40%

Ji2 b12d3 bf1 b3 j1 112 cs 3 is 39 and that's the best jump in starter that keeps them standing

Black Knife

AKA Blank
I was remembering it wrong (which is why I deleted that post). I was getting 40 (42 actually) with the trait, not without.

j.2 f112 bf2 b3 f3 (first hit only) 33 bf 2 (MB) dd 3 3 (41%)

dd3 3 isnt my usual staple ender but its ok in the corner i usually end it with df 3 becuz the cross up mix up is crazy and she also has a fake cross up with j.3

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
So I would say the following (taking into account a few of the posts in this thread):

-Not sure it's a good idea to use the trait as a BnB ender. Due to the damage scaling, you get about 1% damage per hit. Doesn't seem to be worth it. I'm convinced there's a more efficient use somewhere.
-Don't MB just to get 40%. ji2 b12d3 Cat Dash b3 j3 112~whip is plenty of meterless damage.
-If you're going for optimal damage, I like using whip as the combo ender rather than Cat Stance 3 because it keeps you closer and allows you to get in before they can get off the ground again (untechable).
-If you're aiming to keep them in close, I think 122 or 1f2 is a better ender than f112. Seems to do better damage, is a lot harder to drop at the end of long juggles because of 1 being 6 frames, and they also seem to be untechable. 1f2 gives you a whopping 43 frames of advantage. Your opponent is at your mercy after that.

Cancelling into cat stance #whatever removes your 50/50 followup options unless you dash out again. When she's standing, you keep the option to dash up and either b12 or f2 and reset them into another combo (or jump in again/cross them up).

What I could see cat stance being more useful for is baiting punish/counterpoke attempts. You could cancel a blockstring into it, and if they try to retaliate with a mid-hitting string, you can launch them with stance 1 into a full punish. Some characters' d1's are actually high enough to whiff completely vs. cat stance (Lex's for example, misses by a country mile) so that could give them fits if they try to interrupt your pressure after a blockstring. I have to check and see if it catches crossup attempts; that'd be an added bonus as well.

Also it's low enough to make throws whiff, notably including both Grundy's command grab and his trait grab. Seems like it'd make it very useful in that matchup.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
33, bf1, b3, jump 3, 112, bf2, mb, d1 trait
Got a variation, but with b1, and an easier 3 instead of 112, and b1 instead of d1 for eaaaaase.

Half screen wall carry with great damage and only one bar. Sets them into the corner with significant hit advantage (about half a second) to position yourself and possibly bait a wakeup with armor.

Jp2, B12D3 Cat Claws, B3, Jp3, 3 EX Cat Dash, walk, B12D3 = 43%

Hello ya'll! This is my first BnB combo thread, but I think if we all post here we can get a lot done. On my first day of playing the game, I ended up getting pretty good with Catwoman (CW for short).

CW is a rush down melee character with little to no zoning. You have to stay as close as possible to your opponent to maintain control of the match. Luckily, her dash (ff) is an amazing gap closer after your opponent hits the ground post-combo.
One of the key combos is:
  • ji2 f1-1-2 bf2 b3 This combo is your basic set up. Unfortunately, the f1-1-2 (called "ball of yarn" in game) strikes all mid with no mix up, so you have to be careful when you use it if you don't start in with a ji2.
Once you get that down, you can string it with some other stuff to get some decent damage combos:

• ji2 f1-1-2 bf2 b3 f3* 1-1 4 (*when you do the forward 3, you have to time it so only the first part of the move strikes. Thus you will be in position to land the next step, the 1-1 4.) This combo with your Character Power at max stacks will do 37%
  • ji2 f1-1-2 bf2 b3 1-1 bf1 26%
  • ji2 f1-1-2 bf2 b3 3-3-3 28%
What is great about CW is that her Character Power is a fantastic finisher for combos. Get a nice juggle going and finish it with a 4, and it adds a good amount of extra damage. since she is so rush down oriented, your CP will gain stacks relativity quickly depending on how much pressure you apply.

Another great starter is her
  • f2-d3-1 combo. it has a great knock-up for you to work with. Also it is a mix-up, going from mid to low.
That's what i have down so far, add other things you think may work!

How is it that you use the j12? Do you hit them with 1 while in the air and then hit them with the 2 when you're back on the ground?

boomboomlite

Женщина-кошка игрока
I use her trait just for her b2 overhead. never use it at the end of combos because its not worth it.
Actually its excellent at a combo ender. Its basically a free string with one button, and if you can get your projectile evade set, you can regen your traits on your stack quickly. NOTE!!! Supermans laser that pans across the ground CAN be dodged by your projectile dodge. It's totally weird but amazing, gives you a huge advantage over him.

boomboomlite

Женщина-кошка игрока
I'm wondering if this can allow her to extend her combos beyond what might normally be possible. I'm wondering this because I noticed the first hit of f3 has a really strong knock up, since it's designed to anticipate the second hit that knocks them back down. however, the opponent needs to be fairly high in the air to make the second hit whiff.

tldr I'm not 100% sure of the implications, but it's something I plan to explore more. I really like Catwoman and at this point she's my main.

It sure shows promise, but I doubt you'll be able to use it more than once or twice. Its just a small trick to use and it's extremely fancy looking. I'm going to work on it more as well.

JJParker

Noob
Actually its excellent at a combo ender. Its basically a free string with one button, and if you can get your projectile evade set, you can regen your traits on your stack quickly. NOTE!!! Supermans laser that pans across the ground CAN be dodged by your projectile dodge. It's totally weird but amazing, gives you a huge advantage over him.
Yes it's good in a combo but it only give you about 4% damage at the end of a big combo. if you save it and do it after the b2 overhead you get much more damage from it which i think it better use.

Evade isn't for dodging projectiles. It's for wiff punishing moves that are normally safe on block or push you back. Like Lex's charge thing and superman's breath.

Try Evading against a zoner. You cover zero ground by doing so, some zoners have projectiles that last longer than your evade like DS's machine gun, and even if you successfully evade a projectile, you jail yourself.

boomboomlite

Женщина-кошка игрока
Yes it's good in a combo but it only give you about 4% damage at the end of a big combo. if you save it and do it after the b2 overhead you get much more damage from it which i think it better use.
Touche. But I'll experiment more with it. If we could find a reset with her and link it with her trait, the damage output could be insane.

JJParker

Noob
ok Here is a 42% combo off of the overhead.

b2 (after this hits wait for the opponent to bounce low to the ground)

b2, mb Cat Dash, b3, ji2, 3, cp (trait)

Also if you dont want to waste meter you can just do

b2, f1, trait for 32%

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Evade isn't for dodging projectiles. It's for wiff punishing moves that are normally safe on block or push you back. Like Lex's charge thing and superman's breath.

Try Evading against a zoner. You cover zero ground by doing so, some zoners have projectiles that last longer than your evade like DS's machine gun, and even if you successfully evade a projectile, you jail yourself.
The reason I disagree with this is that once people realize that they're giving you cat scratches, they tend to be more careful with their zoning. Doesn't mean that you use it against every type of zoning (def. not Deathstroke), or at every range -- but I'll take an easy free scratch any day of the week.

You can even evade some air-ground projectiles, which is really cool. Instead of taking chip from blocking, you get a scratch.

I don't think trying to evade Lex's 6-frame dash is a good idea.. You're either going to miss it, or if you do it in close it's easy to get read and you'll eat a full combo. If you just bait and block it, you have plenty of frames to do whatever you choose without the risk.

The reason I disagree with this is that once people realize that they're giving you cat scratches, they tend to be more careful with their zoning. Doesn't mean that you use it against every type of zoning (def. not Deathstroke), or at every range -- but I'll take an easy free scratch any day of the week.

You can even evade some air-ground projectiles, which is really cool. Instead of taking chip from blocking, you get a scratch.

I don't think trying to evade Lex's 6-frame dash is a good idea.. You're either going to miss it, or if you do it in close it's easy to get read and you'll eat a full combo. If you just bait and block it, you have plenty of frames to do whatever you choose without the risk.
Yeah I suppose. It's just that against a good zoner, evading to get a scratch usually just means you're either eating a followup projectile or jailing yourself into blocking it (depending on the range of course).

This is one of the reasons I think certain moves and jumping should be able to be cancelling into from a dash. Oh well. I'll figure out when to use it I guess.