What's new

Cassie Cage (Yaas Queen) vs Shang Tsung (Warlock) MU

Who wins this matchup?

• Total voters

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I am starting this thread to get MU opinions on this matchup. I play both characters but have been using Cassie YQ a lot recently.
Personally I feel the matchup is either Even or slightly in Shangs favor for reasons I'll explain.

Yaas Queen has great footsie tools along with Shoulder and BLB restands that put her +10 on end of combos that are unbreakable. The catch is she does 20% midscreen give or take a few instead of 30% in Digital and has better plus frames on restands so that's the trade off. She also loses her amazing low profiling mid projectile in YQ so her full screen game isn't that great in this variation.

With that said:
  • She loses full screen to Shangs zoning
  • Footsie range is about even since both have amazing buttons mid range.
Close up I feel Cassie has better options with fast mids and restands but Shang isn't without options like B3/D4xxDB1/114/112/3

I feel she has advantage when inside of shoulder range but mid to long range Shang is in Ground Skull range which is very powerful when done at max range of far version which she can't punish and he has threat of F2/DB1 to force her to guess on approach.

His zoning is clearly better than Cassie full screen with Corpse Straight Skull and Far Ground Skulls forcing her to scramble and guess to work her way in and it has devastating chip and damage. One hit from ground skulls leads to at least 235 damage and Corpse is 9-15% on hit and Straight Skulls are about the same as her only projectile which is pretty slow compared to his. This is important because usually one touch from Shang puts you full screen to eat chip when making proper reads just to work your way in.

He has amazing keepaway tools and great damage and can also Soulsteal to get Damage boost and all if her tools and with restands he can make himself safe with knockdown on morph.

To me its pretty difficult for both but I feel its more difficult for Cassie since she is doing all the work to get in.

Here is Sonic (Yaas Queen) vs Wound (Warlock) to give you an idea of the matchup at high level:

What does everyone think?

I rather use Scorpion than being frustrated by lot of zoning. :D

But I am weak against constant zoning when I need to get in. Sonicfox has the patience and skill - Semiij had lot harder time and frustration - I am totally broken. :D