What's new

General/Other - Cassie Cage Cassie Cage: The new Liu Kang?

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
MK9: They told us it was a reboot, not that Raiden blows it for 4 hours and the good guys basically lose?

Injustice: They told us Joker got killed and Superman went off the deep end, never once mentioned that heroes from another universe come and fix the whole thing.
To each his own I guess. Trailers seemed appropriate to the full length stories to me. They're supposed to be somewhat ambiguous and not reveal every plot twist. Like, there's no chance in hell Mileena is the "big bad" of MKX.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
MK9: They told us it was a reboot, not that Raiden blows it for 4 hours and the good guys basically lose?

Injustice: They told us Joker got killed and Superman went off the deep end, never once mentioned that heroes from another universe come and fix the whole thing.
Well with MK9...thats a hard sell.. Plus avoiding armagedeon is a win I guess..
Injustice well that's kinda DCs thing so you should have seen it comming.. :p

trufenix

bye felicia
To each his own I guess. Trailers seemed appropriate to the full length stories to me. They're supposed to be somewhat ambiguous and not reveal every plot twist. Like, there's no chance in hell Mileena is the "big bad" of MKX.
Your last post was contrary, but I feel like now like you're agreeing with me.

Well with MK9...thats a hard sell.. Plus avoiding armagedeon is a win I guess..
Injustice well that's kinda DCs thing so you should have seen it comming.. :p
Don't get me wrong, I am super psyched that the trailers don't give up the cards. NRS is the only company that gives a shit about their story, it'd be a real shame if it was possible to figure out before the game ever came out.

Gito666

Ninjas > Special Forces
But can you imagine if mileena IS the big bad, and cassie IS the protagonist? Oh man, two powerful females at the forefront of mk. That would be awesome. Maybe get more girls into mk, too!

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Your last post was contrary, but I feel like now like you're agreeing with me.
No I disagree with you because to me, those trailers were fine. My point is that despite some ambiguity, the trailers painted the appropriate context. We knew Raiden was trying to stop Armageddon, we knew it was spanning Mk 1 - Mk 3 and retconning. The trailer mentions how there's going to be "many sacrifices" alluding to the multiple deaths yet stopping Kahn in the end. To me that's pretty much what happened. All of the details in how it happens naturally were left ambiguous because that'd spoil the plot. It's no different than MKX.

Act I of MKX will be the fallout of the Netherrealm war and set up Cassie and the youngsters to save Earthrealm from some impending doom in Act 3.

Last edited:

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
For her to be anywhere as legit as Kang is she would need to win every single fight she goes through and win mortal kombat, twice. then eventually get double teamed and killed only to be brought back as a Zombie, all while still being badass. yeah she can be the main protagonist but there is only one liu kang. in a world where you have various 4 armed dragon people, men with blades in their arms, women with sharp ass teeth, 7000 different ninja's and cyborgs, dudes who have amplified body parts, and sharp hats and emperor's and fallen elder gods, liu kang is just a normal ass shaolin monk who can chuck fire and he is the undisputed best Kombatant to ever live. hold that (longest run on sentence ever) haterz.

BloodyNights

"My kunai will find it's mark."
I actually think the story will have multiple groups and sides to follow. I doubt that Cassie and the gang will truly be the main main characters. However I believe they will be important to the story. They are in a way the next generation. However I can't see any of them being on the chosen one status. I can't imagine Cassie being good enough to take on someone like Shang Tsung, or Goro. Even character's like Ermac feel like they'd be a bit too strong for them.

However as a team I bet they will still do some pretty awesome things together. But as main hitters I can't see it. Not yet, Cassie barely won against Frost in the comic, and it was really only because Frost let her guard down. I know she may improve later on. But again right now I just don't see them being the champions. But regardless I'm incredibly hype for Mortal Kombat X's story mode. It looks like they are potentially working even harder on it than MK9's and Injustice's story mode.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Trailer faith is dangerous. If MK9 and Injustice's story trailers are any indication, these trailers are just barely indicative of what is actually going to transpire. For all we know, Cassie's going to get killed by the end of this.
Agreed. It has been stated numerous times that the story events take place over a 25 year span, not just twenty five years later. This trailer seemed to just focus on the 20-25 year stuff. So much we don't know yet, like what Quan's role is (as he was mysteriously absent from the trailer)

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I'm stoked for Cassie! I would have no problem if she were the new chosen one.

Honestly thought that was where MK9 was gonna go with JC. lol

haketh

Noob
For her to be anywhere as legit as Kang is she would need to win every single fight she goes through and win mortal kombat, twice. then eventually get double teamed and killed only to be brought back as a Zombie, all while still being badass. yeah she can be the main protagonist but there is only one liu kang. in a world where you have various 4 armed dragon people, men with blades in their arms, women with sharp ass teeth, 7000 different ninja's and cyborgs, dudes who have amplified body parts, and sharp hats and emperor's and fallen elder gods, liu kang is just a normal ass shaolin monk who can chuck fire and he is the undisputed best Kombatant to ever live. hold that (longest run on sentence ever) haterz.
Yet despite all that from the little we've seen Sassy Cassie has shown so much more personality than Lui ever did outside of the Movie.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
I'm a fan of Kang, and I'd love to see him and Bo Rai Cho in MKX together. Maybe it will happen. Even if Liu isn't in the game proper, he would definitely be a DLC lock.

itsmeMOB

Mileena's back!
I feel like they're going to sort of "pass the torch" to her following this game. I still love the veterans but with the introduction of this game and the MK X comics, it looks like the new generation of MK characters are going to slowly become the leads in the following games post-MKX. I'd definitely love Cassie as the lead, too, she's so kickass and she has the personality of her father, which I love.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I do have to commend NR on the fact that the main guys are a girl, a black girl, and two Asian guys... And the bad guys are a crazy chick's and various colored odd races... Who would have thought MK breaking barriers n shit...
Barriers will be broken when stuff like that will be normal to the point of not even being noticed. For now, congratulations on pointing out irrelevant differences - an act so similar to what erected those very barriers in the first place.

Saint Op Omen

Barriers will be broken when stuff like that will be normal to the point of not even being noticed. For now, congratulations on pointing out irrelevant differences - an act so similar to what erected those very barriers in the first place.
Nothing that makes people who they are is irrelevant and acts of love are not similar to acts of hate... And if the differences between us are ever not noticed that would be sad... To notice something and to embrace the differences that make us who we are is never a bad thing... It is appreciation and understanding not complacency and sameness that we should strive for...

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Nothing that makes people who they are is irrelevant and acts of love are not similar to acts of hate... And if the differences between us are ever not noticed that would be sad... To notice something and to embrace the differences that make us who we are is never a bad thing... It is appreciation and understanding not complacency and sameness that we should strive for...
I would be happy to agree, but once you express your thought, you are no longer a master to it. People are free to interpret it and expand upon it however they feel like, you cannot take it back. That's where love can be replaced by hate, and that's where problems begin.

However, I do not promote sameness of any sort, but can you imagine some poster writing something like "Hey, leads in this game are blonde, dark and then there is even red, NRS said down with stereotypes'n'shit". Sure we do appreciate different aesthetics these days and sure we didn't embrace sameness, but nobody in right mind would point this out now. That's how broken barriers look like.

Trust me, it's not pretty to see someone going out of his way to essentially say "See, I accept you even though you are X and Y". It's still an implied message that there somewhere it is wrong to be X and Y. Hell, even if it's an act of love of sort, why am I still being judged for being X and Y and not for what I actually am instead, even though it's positive this time around? It is still ignoring a person for a label - this is the thing we call "discrimination".

The reason I'm saying all that here is because one would think it's easier to erase borders in fiction with fictional characters that are free of some actually existing, primarily social, ramifications of being "X and Y", but nope, apparently it's still not enough to avoid being dragged through mud, which makes entire situation even more poignant.

...but really, I should just rant about it less. After all, I myself wasn't happy that RL dirt gets brought here on TYM. And lo and behold, here's me myself doing exactly that :(

Last edited:

Saint Op Omen

I would be happy to agree, but once you express your thought, you are no longer a master to it. People are free to interpret it and expand upon it however they feel like, you cannot take it back. That's where love can be replaced by hate, and that's where problems begin.

However, I do not promote sameness of any sort, but can you imagine some poster writing something like "Hey, leads in this game are blonde, dark and then there is even red, NRS said down with stereotypes'n'shit". Sure we do appreciate different aesthetics these days and sure we didn't embrace sameness, but nobody in right mind would point this out now. That's how broken barriers look like.

Trust me, it's not pretty to see someone going out of his way to essentially say "See, I accept you even though you are X and Y". I'm a human being before being X and Y, okay?

The reason I'm saying all that here is because one would think it's easier to erase borders in fiction with fictional characters that are free of some actually existing, primarily social, ramifications of being "X and Y", but nope, apparently it's still not enough, which makes entire situation even more poignant.
I have no clue why you are such an advocate for genocide but that's totally the way I interpreted and expanded upon what you said... I also find it sick you look for ill meaning and hate everywhere and wish all people were killed and replaced with robots but that's how I will twist your words to find fault and take thing you said and take them to extremes to prove a misguided point... Too bad you said it and can't take it back...
Accepting and appreciating are different words though... Liking something for its differences and liking something despite its differences is also completely different... But feel free to misinterpret anything you want this is silly and I'm done with it...

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I have no clue why you are such an advocate for genocide but that's totally the way I interpreted and expanded upon what you said... I also find it sick you look for ill meaning and hate everywhere and wish all people were killed and replaced with robots but that's how I will twist your words to find fault and take thing you said and take them to extremes to prove a misguided point... Too bad you said it and can't take it back...
Accepting and appreciating are different words though... Liking something for its differences and liking something despite its differences is also completely different... But feel free to misinterpret anything you want this is silly and I'm done with it...
I'm not trying to put words in your mouth though. I just pointed out something that I think is the reason why this is still a problem despite centuries have passed since historical reasons for hate are supposedly gone - people prolong associations with hatred by forcing otherwise pointless concepts and thus fuel new generations of wrong-minded people with what they turn into wicked ideas.

Rule of thumb: if you build a wall, there is shit that will stick to it. And there's always shit, so you can't count that out. Hence, don't build walls.

Saint Op Omen

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth though. I just pointed out something that I think is the reason why this is still a problem despite centuries have passed since historical reasons for hate are supposedly gone - people prolong associations with hatred by forcing otherwise pointless concepts and thus fuel new generations of wrong-minded people with what they turn into wicked ideas.

Rule of thumb: if you build a wall, there is shit that will stick to it. And there's always shit, so you can't count that out. Hence, don't build walls.
I am happy to say I do have some shit free walls... I don't even want to know your building conditions...
I guess I don't disagree with what you said so much as I disagree that I said it...
I think I explained that already though...
Rule of thumb: Some people sucked, some people suck, and some people will continue to suck... Dont get sucked in by other people...
But I get ya...