What's new

General/Other - Brawler Cassie- Brawler..

Lucky_623

MKX XB1 & Cage Family Supporter
-Brawler-
She doesn't rock the shades, she doesn't have a snappy salute, Brawler has her MMA gloves and once she is in, is hard as hell to get her out.

Hollywood is what it sounds like- all glitz and glamour, high profile combo's, the big damage, YouTube vid's, and that is fine.

However, if you want to get dirty, if you want to drive opponent rage and wrack up salty messages/replies, and Quitalities, Brawler is the place for you.

Let's look at some of the brawler basics-
Brawler is all about mixing your opponent up and ultimately making/training your opponent to guess incorrectly. The great thing about Brawler is that it packs an extreme up close threat, as well as some of the heavy hitting flash combo's (flip kick, run variants) that is offered in Hollywood. With practice, a game plan, and good reads on your opponents blocking/defensive tendencies, opponents are gonna find themselves on their back (Both with Cassie ontop of them, or in defeat) more often than not.

With a run mechanic, long reaching normals, a dash normal (B1), fast forward walk speed, Cassie has no trouble getting in and that is where you want to be.

-3- good mind game tool to use as brawler- options from 3-
-3- quick kick to the head
-3,3- two quicks to the head
-3,3,1-Two quick kicks to the head and low baton sweep
This trains your opponent to low block, opening them up for throws, command throw, NJP, and of course her close overhead kick (F3)
-3- specials can be canceled from this kick.
Examples:
-3,3xxBF3-
Great when they start blocking low, they fear getting swept with the baton, or risk getting tackled.

ALL of Cassie's pressure Normals:
B1
B1,2
F2
Special moves can be canceled from them all. If you are bad at run to continue combo damage, or opponent is privy to that setup, start looking to take them to the ground (BF3).

Hollywood has the standing reset of nutkracker, Brawler has one too- timing dependent- F2,1+3 is the arm breaker combo (you can even measure the distance to whiff the F2, and have the 1+3 connect as a standing stun. In any point of your combo, if you hit the F2(superman punch) you can immediately follow up with 1+3 to get a rest and w/stun properties.

This is just the surface of Brawler- so much more to be had. Cassie fans and those new to her, do not dismiss this variation.. It may take a little more work than her other two variants, however the payoff at the victory screen makes it worth it.

Brawler set-ups, additions, questions, theory, even frustrations, post em here!

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Brawler is my favourite Variation! Lets downplay it and get it buffed! :joker:

Here's something dirty that I like to do: After successfully hitting a bf3, do another when they're down. You have like 12 frames of advantage, use them for the startup of the bf3 and as soon as they get up if they're waking up without armour or pushing buttons or blocking low or not blocking they're eating another bf3. This really damages your opponents mentality in the game I've found and makes people SAAAAALLLLTYYYY

Lucky_623

Here's something dirty that I like to do: After successfully hitting a bf3, do another when they're down. You have like 12 frames of advantage, use them for the startup of the bf3 and as soon as they get up if they're waking up without armour or pushing buttons or blocking low or not blocking they're eating another bf3. This really damages your opponents mentality in the game I've found and makes people SAAAAALLLLTYYYY
What I find fitting is the fact that Brawler (MMA/grappler) can literally frustrate your opponent to the point where they quit, put down the controller, or get so overwhelmed they just become scared to do anything at all.

Lucky_623

I like brawler for the jump kick grab combos and overhead option on her bf3 but, hollywood and spec ops are so much more versatile imo.
I can appreciate your viewpoint (Cassie is just good all around) however I would not rule out versatility out of Brawler. You have SO many option selects that you can go to on the fly- while your not racking up 40%+ combo's on the frequent, the short burst, high damage, guessing footsies rack up the W's just fine :)

Epy69zSmallBoys

No respect for Kung Jin

Is BF3 an overhead? Is it safe on block? JCage is making me sad with his pressure (or lack there of) and having trouble reaching opponents after a successful block. Cassie's B1 is amazing and I'm thinking about changing mains.

Lucky_623

Is BF3 an overhead? Is it safe on block? JCage is making me sad with his pressure (or lack there of) and having trouble reaching opponents after a successful block. Cassie's B1 is amazing and I'm thinking about changing mains.
It is an overhead- safety depends on the distance it starts from- learn the range, the further out it starts, the safer it is. However I do not rely on the safe issue of it- I tend to save it as a combo ended, or if I have my opponent trained to Block low. Very rarely would I suggest just throwing it out there naked (while you can catch people randomly, you can also get punished).

Scott The Scot

Yes it's an overhead. Not it's not safe, it's -20, so you better be good at making reads, haha. Go to practice and learn JCage's pressure and where the holes are and use your 5 frame launching special move or your 5 frame standing 2 to full combo that son of a bitch - he's had his time leading the Cage family, put him in his place ;)

Epy69zSmallBoys

No respect for Kung Jin
Yes it's an overhead. Not it's not safe, it's -20, so you better be good at making reads, haha. Go to practice and learn JCage's pressure and where the holes are and use your 5 frame launching special move or your 5 frame standing 2 to full combo that son of a bitch - he's had his time leading the Cage family, put him in his place ;)
haha nice, 5 frame launching special??? is that her flip-kick? and yeah to beat any JCage that isn't amazing at canceling (A-list) just block low and he's damn near useless. All his "mids" are either too slow to punish or don't hit crouching opponents and his T-rex arms force you to use F3-Nut as your "go-to" punish for a lot of blocked specials, which although yes does stop the opponent from waking up, that's all it does you have to find a way back in all over again. RIP JCage's pressure

Lucky_623

The tackle is what does it for me. Brawler for life.
When I use the other 2 variations, I feel so naked without that God like overhead, combo ended.. Almost to the point where I feel like I need a shower :)

sars

Noob
When I use the other 2 variations, I feel so naked without that God like overhead, combo ended.. Almost to the point where I feel like I need a shower :)
Yeah, something about tackling your aponent and punching there face in makes me happy. Ending a combo with it is so satisfying.

Lucky_623

Yeah, something about tackling your aponent and punching there face in makes me happy. Ending a combo with it is so satisfying.
The fact that it hurts like hell, and upon standing puts you at perfect distance to continue pressure and shenanigans is a plus too ;)

Scott The Scot

haha nice, 5 frame launching special??? is that her flip-kick? and yeah to beat any JCage that isn't amazing at canceling (A-list) just block low and he's damn near useless. All his "mids" are either too slow to punish or don't hit crouching opponents and his T-rex arms force you to use F3-Nut as your "go-to" punish for a lot of blocked specials, which although yes does stop the opponent from waking up, that's all it does you have to find a way back in all over again. RIP JCage's pressure
Yeah it's the flip kick :) Yeah JCage's game isn't as strong any more from what I've found in the lab. His pressure strings that can charge/cancel don't do much for him unless it's on hit! Plus like you sid they start with a high and a lot of what Johnny does is unsafe, not at an advantage or eve neutral! They should have pasted MK9 Cage in ;)

Just gonna repost my brawler vid and which is a majority of my gameplan with brawler :^)

Most character just have to take the mixup. This variation relies on trying to get people to respect you and want to block. Thats where you get a lot of tick throws which add up when you realize you get 28-29% off midscreen meterless. Personally I think F2, 1+3 is the worst possible ender because it leaves you only at +1 which is basically nothing and might as well play hollywood for a restand AND you're sacrificing damage for that +1 situation.

As for strings I find b212 is one of her best because its a 10 frame high, low, mid that is safe on block against everyone bar Tempest Kung Lao. It has its faults in being a high, but it has a disjointed hitbox and can be used to mix up a high low when doing b212 or b2~bf3 (leading into a knockdown mixup) This is also the better punish option in place of b12 because it leads to a 32% (not sure off the top of my head) meterless combo. Also f33 becomes a mixup with f3~bf3 as a high low.

To me this variation focus more on block string mixups which are pretty risky, but you always tend to have meter due to never using it in combos. And it pressures the opponent differently than hollywood and spec-ops due to better midscreen knockdown mixups.

I'm not sure if I'm not looking at the big picture here, but I feel like Brawler is just as good as her other variations.

Her bf3 is great because it threatens an overhead from a much larger space compared to just having F3 (which has t-rex syndrome). In brawler, you can do like a max range D4 into BF3 to get in on your opponent and it ends in a very favorable situation. Yes, its unsafe, but if used sparingly, opponents don't see it coming. Also every combo ends in a very favorable situation as opposed to having to have meter (like in Hollywood) or having to sacrifice damage (like in Spec Ops).

The advantage with Brawler too is that you aren't so meter reliant or stamina reliant. Ending combos in BF3 gives you more damage than spec ops that leads to a great situation and it's better than ending a combo with regular nutpunch in Hollywood. And since you'll have an abundance amount of meter, it'll give you meter to break and stamina isn't as reliant, so the sudden loss of stamina isn't awful.

I also might just be facing noobs so there's that

Lucky_623

I'm not sure if I'm not looking at the big picture here, but I feel like Brawler is just as good as her other variations.

Her bf3 is great because it threatens an overhead from a much larger space compared to just having F3 (which has t-rex syndrome). In brawler, you can do like a max range D4 into BF3 to get in on your opponent and it ends in a very favorable situation. Yes, its unsafe, but if used sparingly, opponents don't see it coming. Also every combo ends in a very favorable situation as opposed to having to have meter (like in Hollywood) or having to sacrifice damage (like in Spec Ops).

The advantage with Brawler too is that you aren't so meter reliant or stamina reliant. Ending combos in BF3 gives you more damage than spec ops that leads to a great situation and it's better than ending a combo with regular nutpunch in Hollywood. And since you'll have an abundance amount of meter, it'll give you meter to break and stamina isn't as reliant, so the sudden loss of stamina isn't awful.

I also might just be facing noobs so there's that
It's pretty spot on.. It's different than the other 2