What's new

Captain Cold Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering why no one made this thread yet, but then I realized I can do it.
First an intro for those who don't know the character (I probably should have a picture here but my device is not ideal).

Leonard Snart aka Captain Cold is a long time enemy to the flash and leader of the rogues, a collection of flash villains. The group is unique among villain groups in their approach to crime, and Cold is a major reason for this. He enforces strict guidlines that the others must follow. No drugs,they make you sloppy (he beat up a member who broke this one), no harming civillians,no killing cops as that will gain unwanted attention from superheroes, no killing heroes because you will get them all after you. Lastly rogues look after each other.

Overall Cold has a very pragmatic approach to stealing, always focused on the score instead of on personal grudges with heroes, and avoiding unecessary risk to his crew. That said he can be incredibly dangerous if you harm his crew or or really push his limits. He has killed a man for feeding woman and children to a zombie, killed one who shared his technology for killing his family member, and helped to kill two flash level evil speedsters (defeated one solo,one with the rogues).

Abilities- He uses a cold gun that can lower temperatures to absolute zero levels, stopping all molecular movement, Mr. Freeze once mentioned he was the only ice using villain capable of this. He can set the gun to make a protective field allowing him to stop bullets and slow the flash down. A lesser known fact is that dealing with the flash has made him one of the best quickdraws in dc, with only those like Jonah Hex being on his level.

So start speculating here.

Personally I belive his cold field will be a part of his moveset, possibly as a counter or anti-projectile field. I could also see it being his trait, being a more proximity based version of the flashes.

I just want him to make ice puns in his intros and clash quotes, shades of Mr.Freeze from Batman & Robin.
Oh and a set of gear that turns him into Mr.Freeze (since Ed confirmed stuff like that will be happening).
He isn't really big on puns, when he fought someone using one of his guns who kept making ice puns, he mentioned he outgrew them years ago.

Reactions: GAV
If you think Flash has one of the worst rogues galleries in all of DC, please, stop doing the drugs.

:DOGE
zoom, reverse flash, and grodd. 60~ years and you've got 3 decent villains. Pretty whack.

Weather wizard, mirror master, captain boomerang, trickster, savitar, glider, pied piper..... No one knows or cares about these fools.

Again, stop doing the drugs.

The Rogues are some of the best developed DC villains, especially in the last 15-20 years.

The Shade is also a Flash villain; are you going to tell me he's sucks when compared to Zoom and Reverse-Flash?

:DOGE
Tell ya what, we can put him above Wonder Woman and tie him with GL.

Personally the flash has my favourite dc rogues gallery, even ahead of Batman (which surprised even me and is only a recent realization). For context my favourite DC heroes are are a tie between Batman, Nightwing, and the Flash (Wally being my personal favourite, but i'm cool with the others). That said I can understand if others disagree with placing flash's rogues that high, just IMO they have been pretty consistent at entertaining me over the years.

Personally the flash has my favourite dc rogues gallery, even ahead of Batman (which surprised even me and is only a recent realization). For context my favourite DC heroes are are a tie between Batman, Nightwing, and the Flash (Wally being my personal favourite, but i'm cool with the others). That said I can understand if others disagree with placing flash's rogues that high, just IMO they have been pretty consistent at entertaining me over the years.
eh, I was just messing around a bit. His gallery is at worst average. I've never particularly liked a few of them though. For me id have to say bats wins the dc war and the xmen and Spider-Man tie for my favorite rogues.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I'm curious to see if they can do anything new or interesting with the Cold Gun/ Ice element style character, or if he ends up getting the usual element based moves/attacks/defenses that "freeze/Ice" characters normally seem to have.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Also, my first impression of Captain Cold is that he just seems like the quintessential 50's villain. Bad guy with a freeze ray who robs banks. I'm sure they've done a great job of updating him since then, but I can't get that image out of my head. I'm picturing a campy villain that would fit in with the Adam West batman universe.

I'm curious to see if they can do anything new or interesting with the Cold Gun/ Ice element style character, or if he ends up getting the usual element based moves/attacks/defenses that "freeze/Ice" characters normally seem to have.
The best way to avoid being generic would be to focus on the unique element of his character, that is the ice is just a side effect of his real ability, using absolute zero to stop molecular movement.

I would make his trait a multiple choice trait that inflicts status ailments. You can choose whaver effect you want, shoot a projectile, the effect takes place, and then the trait needs to recharge, the recharge time varying based on which ailment is used.
1. Slow beam, slows down opponents movement.
2. Freeze, basic subzero freeze. Yes it's cliche but it fits. The main difference is it has a shorter shotgun style range.
3.Meter slow, slows meter gain, represented with ice around enemy meter bar.
4. Lastly trait freeze,opponents trait temporarily locked, represented by frozen trait icon.

Again the recharge varies depending on effect, so if one seems unbalanced in any way, the charge time can be adjusted.

For the rest of his moves I would have a cold field that protects from projectiles, either as a counter like smokes shake, or give it a longer startup and have it act as a temporary buff. I would also have various specials for space control, like MODOK from mvc3, though more balanced for injustice of course.

I would have his game plan be based on disrupting the opponents movement, and planning ahead, both of which fit how he operates against opponents like the flash.
Also, my first impression of Captain Cold is that he just seems like the quintessential 50's villain. Bad guy with a freeze ray who robs banks. I'm sure they've done a great job of updating him since then, but I can't get that image out of my head. I'm picturing a campy villain that would fit in with the Adam West batman universe.
To be fair a lot of villains in the 50's were like that, the Adam West Batman series is a good example, Batman's rogues gallery shouldn't be judged entirely on how they appeared in that one age of comics, how they update them is importent.

Mr. Freeze is a good example, until batman the animated series made Mr. Freeze popular he was kind of seen as worse Captain Cold. People complain about the ice pun spewing freeze in batman and robin, but that was his character until btas. The reboot made him a much better character (at least until comic writers screwed up when it came to take advantage of the reboot, IMO there hasn't been a good freeze story since the dcau ended, which pains me).

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
his trait better be generating a cold field around him. like if youre in it you move slightly slower and cant jump or something like that

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
I want Cold Cancels. String into cold wave(projectile), 211, 211, 132, ExCold Wave(freeze), 22, 3, Cold Stab Command Grab finished. 32% for a bar.

Mirror Master is my favorite Rogue but it is unlikely he'll ever make it into I2, of the confirmed characters I would main Grodd. That said if Cold makes it I'll main him, I hope he'll have multiple skins although I'm not too fond of the rumor about him sharing a skin with Mr. Freeze. The reason why I say that is because I feel like it will limit their movesets, I'm worried they both would lose unique aspects in order to homogenize their moves.

I think they could get really creative though with his animations and moves.

Example: Cold shoots at the ground and creates an area of ice. Combined with the Gear System this move could do so many things it just depends, knockdown, damage over time, ground bounce, sliding.

He could create a wall of ice that blocks incoming projectiles, obviously he can shoot ice but make his meter burn freeze enemies in place. There could be an anti air version that freezes 'em in air.

I can picture him having a command grab or parry where he fake surrenders to his opponent only quick draw and ice 'em down.

I can imagine many things for his Super like a long beam of ice as he walks towards his opponent, as he reaches them their entire body is frozen and he is face to face with an ice sculpture before he knocks it over and they shatter.

OR

He could kick them in the gut then the camera goes into POV of the opponent. Out of the shadows behind Captain Cold appears Mirror Master, Captain Boomerang and Heat Wave all wearing evil grins. All four of 'em take quick turns punching before the opponent is uppercutted by a boomerang sent flying he lands on a slide made of ice which carries him into a mirror, enemy falls a long way through the mirror dimension before exiting and set on fire by Heat Wave.

Feel free to criticize or tweak my ideas.

I could see a super where he creates a ice mirror and summons mirror master, though i wouldn't put much hope for the other rogues due to
injustice comic spoilers
bizarro killing most of them.

Actually speaking on that event reminds me I really hope Cold gets some good screentime in the story mode,if not a chapter a lot of dialogue. It would be easy to make him another killer frost or bane and have him just show up for a fight or two, but that would be a waste thematically.

The injustice world is based on messing with the typical hero/villain dynamic, and Cold valued that dynamic more than almost anyone. He always taught the rogues how to best make use of that dynamic to keep them safe. Despite this however the heroes broke the dynamic, most likely leaving him feeling betrayed,and most likely very angry. He also takes revenge very seriously, especially if you double cross or harm the rogues. Combine that with the flash's guilt over the regime and you have a pretty interesting combination if done right IMO.

Remember, in the new 52 he actually had powers over cryokinesis and is still the only villain/anti hero with power of absolute zero which is why he gives the flash such problems. He would be an amazing fit to I2.

Status
Not open for further replies.