What's new

Captain Cold General Discussion Thread

I think he was playing firestorm just so that he would get nerfed and not the other character he liked to play. So now that the patch hit, he can play Cold again. And I don't mean that Cold is broke or good, Sonic just likes the character. Some of the level 2 resets are broke though)

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
I think he was playing firestorm just so that he would get nerfed and not the other character he liked to play. So now that the patch hit, he can play Cold again. And I don't mean that Cold is broke or good, Sonic just likes the character. Some of the level 2 resets are broke though)
I think Sonic picked up Firestorm because he doesn't really have any other "surprise" characters up his sleeve. Firestorm was probably getting nerfed regardless of whether Sonic played him or not.

I think he's going back to Cold because he's Sonic and he can win with anyone, but also, who in their right mind has labbed the Cold MU post nerf?

Cursa

Sonicfox says Cold is arguably top 10 now. I told y’all! My mans is not bottom 5 like you guys like to pretend.
Ya know I understand Sonic is obviously super fucking incredible but I'm still not taking his top 10 list from a patch released a week or two ago. Darkseid top 5 I will never forget.

Like I won't be massively shocked or anything if he does end up being top 10 but I think it's still early for anyone to call it.

Hiyomoto

Noob
Ya know I understand Sonic is obviously super fucking incredible but I'm still not taking his top 10 list from a patch released a week or two ago. Darkseid top 5 I will never forget.

Like I won't be massively shocked or anything if he does end up being top 10 but I think it's still early for anyone to call it.
Okay okay, too 10 maybe he’s stretching it but he’s definitely much stronger than before. Cause a lot of people are saying, “well if he got this or this or this” completely ignoring what we’re left to work with. I’m still shy on throwing B232 out in neutral cause of flashbacks of whiffing completely on crouches even though it’s buffed

snort

Noob
Okay okay, too 10 maybe he’s stretching it but he’s definitely much stronger than before. Cause a lot of people are saying, “well if he got this or this or this” completely ignoring what we’re left to work with. I’m still shy on throwing B232 out in neutral cause of flashbacks of whiffing completely on crouches even though it’s buffed
Adding a mid to the second hit on a 3 hit string and making it +4 on block doesn't move a char from worst to top 10. If he had his old puddle and trait recovery then maybe, but I'd say he's now moved up to mid tier.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Adding a mid to the second hit on a 3 hit string and making it +4 on block doesn't move a char from worst to top 10. If he had his old puddle and trait recovery then maybe, but I'd say he's now moved up to mid tier.
It's the inverse, as well. Clearly, Sonic is, as he always has been, a prisoner of the moment, but the real answer is probably somewhere in the middle. Cold never really got the nerfs necessary to make the people he smashed into even or winning matchups, and now he's gotten buffed to have a move that he can kind of throw out, given the range, to fight people coming in.

Cold is already equipped with somewhat of a doomsday weapon (Ice Grenade). Seriously, check out Sonic matches where he loses after getting the Grenade out and into the match to strengthen his mixups. The question is, is it enough to make him super top? No, probably not, but it's still very strong, and he has weaknesses that bring him down a bit.

Well, with all that being said, it stands to reason that if you start to tear at the weaknesses, such as giving him an advancing string that is super plus on block and he can get a full combo after unlike 122, he's gonna start looking a bit better.

Tl;dr: The idea that Cold was all around bad and not a matchup-heavy character is a bad take, and he got buffs to somewhat compensate for his weaknesses, making him a bit stronger in most people's eyes.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Using B212 when opponents are expecting wake up... I feel dumb for never thinking that

I'm not sold on cashing out Trait for the mid screen HTB as you are using 2 bars and Trait for not much extra Dmg unless I'm overlooking something which I assume I am?

Remember that he called Joker top ten in the first game...just saying...
Joker has ALWAYS been good in some matchups. The problem early on is that he got shit on by most of the commonly used characters so nobody bothered to use him. Now after all the patches I still think he's underrated. I see people ranking people like Harley or Darkseid or Green Lantern above him but I don't think they belong in separate tiers.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I was watching Sonics stream and honestly although he does seem improved, he was struggeling aaaaaloot in many mus still

Cursa

Using B212 when opponents are expecting wake up... I feel dumb for never thinking that

I'm not sold on cashing out Trait for the mid screen HTB as you are using 2 bars and Trait for not much extra Dmg unless I'm overlooking something which I assume I am?
Unlikely you are.

D

Deleted member 58466

How fun is this character on a scale of Superman to 10? I'm itching to pick up a secondary and I think Snart might be the one.
Holy fuck, when you get your Deathcicle / Puddle setups working, it's so dope. 10/10 would setup again. But it takes a while to learn the character that well. So all in all, 7/10.

Skedar70

Noob
Why doesn't sonicfox ever go to charging the gun up to level 3? Aren't colds projectiles faster when he is in level 3? Does he lose the option of the snow globe?

D

Deleted member 58466

Why doesn't sonicfox ever go to charging the gun up to level 3? Aren't colds projectiles faster when he is in level 3? Does he lose the option of the snow globe?
My guess is that it's not necessary, and he can do better things instead of charging.

I believe it is because level 2 is optimal to get to but there is also another reason. The levels of trait change the recovery and speed of Cold's bf1. While the recovery of level 2 and level 3 is about the same, level 3 projectiles are faster. I remember Sonic saying on stream that he considers level 2 projectiles to have optimal recovery and travel speed, and that he prefers it to the level 3's ones. That said level 3 in the corner gives you access to double dome unblockable resets. And if you want level 2 projectiles you can just charge the 3rd trait bar to like 90%, and you will almost have a new bar ready after using the Glacier Granade

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
What's the rhyme and reason behind the different stun pose opponents get into when you freeze them with puddle when standing? There seems to be at least four different poses they can do, is it the frame on which you MB? Is is random? It seems to affect combos.