What's new

Captain Cold General Discussion Thread

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
Not to mention that MB ice blast became a better tool to use in zoning aside from getting higher damage trades.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
You'd be obnoxious too if you mained cold and people would come to convince you he's viable while you just get wiped out for free by 99% of the cast ;)

Cursa

You'd be obnoxious too if you mained cold and people would come to convince you he's viable while you just get wiped out for free by 99% of the cast ;)
Don't think anyone said he's viable and don't think 99% of the cast is entirely true.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I’m not gonna lie. I’m realllllly liking the b232 buff..

The mb buff is almost irrelevant honestly to me. The b232 is so juicy though.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Can anyone find a higher damaging combo off of B232 in the corner? (2 bars, no setup)

I also threw in a level 3 trait combo.

B232~BF1 MB, B232~DB3 MB, F3, B23~DB2 (508, 48%)

B323~BF1 MB, B232~D4(Level 3 trait), F3, B232~DB2 (555, 52%)

And what do you guys normally do off of F3 in the corner?

Last edited:

Marinjuana

I haven't been following this character so sorry if this is old news but I found this midscreen reset using Ice Block to give you a 50/50. It's a 3 bar sequence so it is expensive but you get rewarded with more damage then you could get otherwise off of a standing puddle confirm, at least without trait thrown in. I'm hoping to optimize it further to make that reward larger. First you do something like:

F23~MB DB3, dash, MB DF2, 21~BF1 (265)

This is a consistent way to leave the opponent with their back against the ice block, while leaving you right in their face with 16 frames of advantage. Naturally at that point, standing 1 jails and you can do a 1~puddle/122 50/50, and since the ice block is there you can combo off of your 122. At that you point you just do the mix into combo and hopefully get your reward. Keep in mind the final damage total would be less because they block at least the standing 1. So I'm going to show off:

F23~MB DB3, dash, MB DF2, 21~BF1 (265) into:

122~MB DB3, B3, JI3, B232~DB2 (327 + 265 = 592 or 56%) and

1~MB DB3, B3, JI2, B23, B232~DB2 (371 + 265 = 636 or 60%)

I definitely think I could get more damage from the 122 option and maybe find a way to consistently get B23~BF1 or F23~BF1 to end the first combo of the reset.

Cursa

I haven't been following this character so sorry if this is old news but I found this midscreen reset using Ice Block to give you a 50/50. It's a 3 bar sequence so it is expensive but you get rewarded with more damage then you could get otherwise off of a standing puddle confirm, at least without trait thrown in. I'm hoping to optimize it further to make that reward larger. First you do something like:

This is a consistent way to leave the opponent with their back against the ice block, while leaving you right in their face with 16 frames of advantage. Naturally at that point, standing 1 jails and you can do a 1~puddle/122 50/50, and since the ice block is there you can combo off of your 122. At that you point you just do the mix into combo and hopefully get your reward. Keep in mind the final damage total would be less because they block at least the standing 1. So I'm going to show off:

I definitely think I could get more damage from the 122 option and maybe find a way to consistently get B23~BF1 or F23~BF1 to end the first combo of the reset.
Maybe if you use a string that has the most hit advantage while leaving the opponent standing you can cancel it into death cicle for a hard to blockable reset instead

Marinjuana

Maybe if you use a string that has the most hit advantage while leaving the opponent standing you can cancel it into death cicle for a hard to blockable reset instead
I would guess that it's probably too slow for anything past a well timed deathcicle after a freeze, but it would be worth checking out. Another thing I was looking into was doing your typical f23~MB puddle, dropping ice block down and then finishing with a f3 combo that ends with a safe deathcicle setup. Figured you could use it to shut down some wakeups like Brainiac or Tremor or just to go for some funblockables. I haven't found anything really good yet, those ice block combos are wonky. I'm sure most of this has been explored but I'm enjoying this character right now so I'm looking for all the dirt.

Cursa

I would guess that it's probably too slow for anything past a well timed deathcicle after a freeze, but it would be worth checking out. Another thing I was looking into was doing your typical f23~MB puddle, dropping ice block down and then finishing with a f3 combo that ends with a safe deathcicle setup. Figured you could use it to shut down some wakeups like Brainiac or Tremor or just to go for some funblockables. I haven't found anything really good yet, those ice block combos are wonky. I'm sure most of this has been explored but I'm enjoying this character right now so I'm looking for all the dirt.
Yeah Idk. I can't test it at the moment but S2 has 18 frames of hitstun I think but DB2 has 64 startup frames so it's basically never going to jail. Instant jump 2 has like way more hitstun but I don't know if it's possible to land in time

Cursa

Maybe if you can cancel into a frost field or level 2 trait after the 21 then you could probably set up for some DoT setups?

Also I guess if you really wanted to you could just end in B232xxBD2B and go for a HTB.

I actually found a ghetto reset involving f2 , db2 and bf1 and death cycle meter-less as semi ghetto reset. I even made a compilation with an awful music.:joker:
I got disliked and someone talked bad to me because of it.:(
There is the video.:DOGE Someone please like my video... :( poor disliked underrated video:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Hiyomoto

Noob

I have been doing a similar set up as well. I use the block as a pseudo corner.
F23~MB DB3, MB DF2F, F23~db3 or bf1. If you hit confirm the ice puddle mix up after blast, you can do F3 so you don’t break the block and keep them in the corner and end your combo in an pseudo corner icicle set up and usually by that time the block will break.

Unrelated I also like to use this gimmick where when I hit confirm into puddle and they’re standing, I immediately do ice aura then B2 into cold blast which keeps them in the aura then walk up and throw.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
I actually found a ghetto reset involving f2 , db2 and db1 and death cycle meterless as semi ghetto reset. I even made a compilation with an awful music.:joker:
I got disliked and someone talked bad to me because of it.:(
There is the video.:DOGE Someone please like my video... :( poor disliked underrated video:rolleyes:
This troll obviously doesn't know how to play him. Just ignore him. ;)

Nice combo resets there.

Guys, are the rumors true?!? Does it feel like the trait charges faster now for those of you who have been playing him a lot before? Also some people in discord claim his puddle to be there for 4 sec now instead of 3. I can’t test it since I am not used to what it felt like before)

Guys, are the rumors true?!? Does it feel like the trait charges faster now for those of you who have been playing him a lot before? Also some people in discord claim his puddle to be there for 4 sec now instead of 3. I can’t test it since I am not used to what it felt like before)
It seems like it dont't have that sleight delay on startup any more, it feels like the first 15% or so of trait charges faster then before.

Marinjuana

It seems like it dont't have that sleight delay on startup any more, it feels like the first 15% or so of trait charges faster then before.
I definitely noticed that the the last bar(perhaps the second bar too) takes longer to charge then the first. You can do a Ice Puddle, charge up the first bar and land a b2, doing that with the last bar(again, perhaps the second bar too) is impossible or at least way tighter. But I can't say that hasn't always been the case.

I definitely noticed that the the last bar(perhaps the second bar too) takes longer to charge then the first. You can do a Ice Puddle, charge up the first bar and land a b2, doing that with the last bar(again, perhaps the second bar too) is impossible or at least way tighter. But I can't say that hasn't always been the case.
yeah trait slows down after the first bar i tried to to charge up to 2 from 1 and couldn't connect a b2 it seem like they just made it quicker to go from 0 to 1 quicker or just made it so the first 15-20% of traits charges quicker felt really sluggish before this patch.

Icy Black Deep

Still training...
I definitely noticed that the the last bar(perhaps the second bar too) takes longer to charge then the first. . . . But I can't say that hasn't always been the case.
I can say that this has always been the case.

I cannot comment on whether charge speed may be different since the patch though. It's not quite the same thing, but I found this old comment you can compare against:
Tanno said:
Note that each time you tap [trait], it charges a small amount of the bar. 1 level bar needs only 4 taps, 2 level bar needs 6 taps, and the last needs 10 taps. The full charge can charge only one bar, so be mindful of this bait.

D

Deleted member 28105

How fun is this character on a scale of Superman to 10? I'm itching to pick up a secondary and I think Snart might be the one.

Marinjuana

What do you guys think of the 122/1~puddle mixup? Is it fuzzyable? Can you react to puddle?

I just wanna hear people's thoughts on it because I've been finding way to enforce this mixup and I want to know how good it actually is.

Cursa

What do you guys think of the 122/1~puddle mixup? Is it fuzzyable? Can you react to puddle?

I just wanna hear people's thoughts on it because I've been finding way to enforce this mixup and I want to know how good it actually is.
Fuzzyable for sure. I reckon you'd catch people with it though.

I thought S1 didn't combo into puddle all this time.

Marinjuana

Captain Cold's F3 can low profile Supes' Rising Grab wakeup towards the later frames of the animation while still hitting meaty. Doesn't cover Supes' Flying Punch option. Still though, seems useful.