What's new

Captain Cold, From Worst to Best? PND Mustard talks us through this winter storm [DEATH COMBOS]

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
@PND_Mustard just released a new video discussing many details of Captain Cold. Primarily discussed is how the latest balance patch for Injustice 2 made this all possible and how the two masterminds behind this character, @richmenudo (twitter) and @SonicFox5000 . So, if you're having trouble dealing with this character or like some people (not to mention any names) @CrazyFingers want to hop on the Captain Cold wagon... I strongly suggest checking out this video.

Additionally, I have inserted some recent tweets from SonicFox where he highlights a few aspects of Captain Cold.

Attachments

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Officially confirmed top tier.
Try to play him in any match, and I'm sure you'll see where he really stands.

@PND_Mustard , the real challenge playing CC is the trait charging. This is why, unlike the other chars that have auto-charge, I have a hard time playing him without that trait when I play against zoning characters. Filling the power bars is easy. His best MUs are the CQC chars, like Catwoman, or anyone that has poor zoning.

For everyone here who tries playing him and still learning his combos, here:

Notations map:
(H) = To Hold
IJ = Instant Jump

Corner combo:

F23xxMB BF (DB3), F4, DF3, IJ1, F23xxBF, FORWARD DASH, 122x4(H)...

From the "..." notation onward, you may end the combo however you like.

Midscreen combo:

F23xxMB BF, F4, IJ1, F23xxBF1, J1, 122xxWall (DB2), B3, J2, B232x4(H)

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
Try to play him in any match, and I'm sure you'll see where he really stands.

@PND_Mustard , the real challenge playing CC is the trait charging. This is why, unlike the other chars that have auto-charge, I have a hard time playing him without that trait when I play against zoning characters. Filling the power bars is easy. His best MUs are the CQC chars, like Catwoman, or anyone that has poor zoning.

For everyone here who tries playing him and still learning his combos, here:

Notations map:
(H) = To Hold
IJ = Instant Jump

Corner combo:

F23xxMB BF (DB3), F4, DF3, IJ1, F23xxBF, FORWARD DASH, 122x4(H)...

From the "..." notation onward, you may end the combo however you like.

Midscreen combo:

F23xxMB BF, F4, IJ1, F23xxBF1, J1, 122xxWall (DB2), B3, J2, B232x4(H)
@PND_Mustard said that the throwback is indeed that he needs to get the resources first, but once he gets them he is very dangerous. So yes he might be vary hard to use, but then again, there were characters in various fighting games that were hard to use yet they were known to be top tier once you get to adapt to their gameplan.

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
Captain cold is a really tough character to balance. His level 2 freeze is OP as hell but his other tools are mediocre in an attempt to balance it out. I would love to see them normalize the level 2 freeze and just makes his other tools better..

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I'll admit I was wrong about Captain Cold. I thought he was legit trash and virtually unusable. So I apologize for throwing a fit about Cold not really getting better from the patch. I still don't think he's top tier, I think around A tier with other good characters.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
broke, needs to go, cyrax all over again :/

theres no way im playing against any captain cold players that do this shit -_-

Last edited:

Somea2V

Thread Referee
I'll admit I was wrong about Captain Cold. I thought he was legit trash and virtually unusable. So I apologize for throwing a fit about Cold not really getting better from the patch. I still don't think he's top tier, I think around A tier with other good characters.
Bit of the opposite for me. I thought he was good from Day 1. Not Black Adam good, but good enough to fight anyone. He requires conscious effort to play. When Black Adam and Aquaman existed, that seemed like a bad thing.

There's gonna be some very interesting CC mirrors after all this tech. But I've already been doing most of this in the corner on a more simpler level depending on who I'm up against (invincible wakeups). It won't get nerfed either bc the best way to interrupt his damage trait combos is STILL by clashing the ice globe.

Not everyone is as crafty as SonicFox under pressure. Stop panicking.

Captain cold is a really tough character to balance. His level 2 freeze is OP as hell but his other tools are mediocre in an attempt to balance it out. I would love to see them normalize the level 2 freeze and just makes his other tools better..
How many times have you lost to a CC player? Or more importantly, how much time are using charging up his level 2 trait in a real match? Obviously, the goal when playing against CC is to keep him from rubbing his gun as much as possible and avoiding the corner pressure. Can you do that with half the cast?

Yes you can.

Tanno

@PND_Mustard said that the throwback is indeed that he needs to get the resources first, but once he gets them he is very dangerous. So yes he might be very hard to use, but then again, there were characters in various fighting games that were hard to use yet they were known to be top tier once you get to adapt to their gameplan.
I know this throwback very well. It's easy to get the resources for his powers, but not so with his trait. Most players who know him very well will instantly charge in to prevent him from charging this trait. That's why it's really challenging. This is why whoever uses him needs to think defensively to win any MU.

I'm fully aware of the other characters being that hard to adapt, but I don't know their level of difficulty. I happen to stick to any char I fully know well. When I learn the other characters, I see at what powers they have, what combos they do, and then I can understand where they really stand. It's up to anyone's fancies and presonality to find a proper fighter that fit them well.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
I know this throwback very well. It's easy to get the resources for his powers, but not so with his trait. Most players who know him very well will instantly charge in to prevent him from charging this trait. That's why it's really challenging. This is why whoever uses him needs to think defensively to win any MU.

I'm fully aware of the other characters being that hard to adapt, but I don't know their level of difficulty. I happen to stick to any char I fully know well. When I learn the other characters, I see at what powers they have, what combos they do, and then I can understand where they really stand. It's up to anyone's fancies and presonality to find a proper fighter that fit them well.
That is basically true, but then again there might be players who can handle this gameplan and take CC to it's true potential and not just Sonic Fox. I think that now @PND_Mustard showed this vid, more people will try Cap Cold and we might get more Cap Cold mains then Sonic in tournies even if they don't make it to Top 8's a lot. Just because it is challenging that doesn't mean it isn't good.

Tanno

That is basically true, but then again there might be players who can handle this gameplan and take CC to it's true potential and not just Sonic Fox. I think that now @PND_Mustard showed this vid, more people will try Cap Cold and we might get more Cap Cold mains then Sonic in tournies even if they don't make it to Top 8's a lot. Just because it is challenging that doesn't mean it isn't good.
Good luck to them playing him against other players. If they need some help adapting with him, we're here.

Would love to try a mirror one, if there was an EU Capn Cold main. All I get as CC main is Bats, Supes, SG, Darkseid, Dr. Fate and other zoners. Very rarely I get Flash, Cheetah, and Catwoman. I played against a Black Canary once. If you see my videos I posted at the CC gameplay videos, you'll know. :(

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
What the...
IF YOU ALL THINK.............aaaaaaaaaah skip it, fine you won, you can have it. HAVE IT ALL.

I quit.
Don't give up. "All evil needs to succeed is for good men to do nothing" - Steven A. Smith 2012

Icy Black Deep

Still training...
So are we supposed to ignore the fact that a charcters has unescapable resets just because he gets zoned out by zoners?
Awkay...
It's nice and all but basically the characters he has a chance to pull this off against he will probably beat anyways, and the characters that he does poorly against are unlikely to give him a chance to pull it off. So . . . doesn't change much in my mind.
(Also, I don't think I see anything here that's new with the patch and some dirty corner refreezes were known before the patch, though I don't know if they were inescapable. )