What's new

Capcom Cup 2024 (SF6) Will Have a $2 Million Prize Pool

After the conclusion of this year's Capcom Cup Finals, Capcom announced that next year's Capcom Cup will feature the biggest prize ever awarded in the history of the FGC: a $2 million prize pot for the tournament, with the winner taking home a cool $1 million.

With a new game + unprecedented amount of winnings likely combining to create new levels of excitement, players, organizers, and personalities from around the FGC immediately gave their reactions:

Comments

This makes me wanna get the game even more. NOT because I’m delusional enough to think I can compete with players who either have been competing at the highest level in SF/FG’s for years or those that will be able to dedicate a minimum of 8 hrs a day into the game. But because getting into the game and knowing a lot about it is really the only way I can get into matches and get hyped about them. Of course the finals are gonna be hype regardless with all of that on the line, but I want to be invested into the players AND the game like I was back in SF4.

Now NRS needs to get on WB’s ass to do something similar for the next MK game!

Never thought I'd see the day where Capcom was the first to add this type of money to a tournament. This is a big deal for all FGs. MK is more than capable of doing this and I hope this becomes the norm.

I'm kinda sceptical when it comes to WB/MK as there is very little for them in doing such a thing. They make money of normal people who don't compete so i'm pretty sure they will not go this route as there is little to gain(almost nothing as competitive players make for like 1% or less sales of the game) from it for them.

More likely they gonna spent all that money on marketing and PR which imo is smart and how the bussiness works these days. This will make for much higher sale number than doing tournaments with crazy high prize money.

More likely they gonna spent all that money on marketing and PR which imo is smart and how the bussiness works these days. This will make for much higher sale number than doing tournaments with crazy high prize money.
Imo holding a million-dollar tournament for a game is PR, just like it's been for Call of Duty, DOTA, CS etc. It will attract attention by itself, and if they promote it right, it'll have ripples far outside of the competitive community.

The words "you can win a million dollars" are definitely enough to make some people take a look who wouldn't otherwise.

I believe that all the recent turmoil at WB will put the kibosh on a lot of things. There was no doubt MK11 was the 1st steps into a larger competitive esports scene with the more footsy approach, slower release schedule and longer support. Then WB got bought and sold 3 times and had the entire entertainment division also got sold twice in addition to that, and the entertainment division fought off a hostile take over. I doubt there will be much ongoing money spent on esports, as the entire company almost folded last year. I mean they have withdrawn millions in support already, lost IP rights, entire game and film studios have been sold to compeditors and more. There is a reason NRS is so quiet and it is all about what is happening above them.

I'm kinda sceptical when it comes to WB/MK as there is very little for them in doing such a thing. They make money of normal people who don't compete so i'm pretty sure they will not go this route as there is little to gain(almost nothing as competitive players make for like 1% or less sales of the game) from it for them.
You accurately describe how NRS executives would respond if someone made this suggestion in a board meeting. Any Mortal Kombat game will sell 10-15 million copies without the company having to award one million dollars to the winner of a major tournament.

Nonetheless, I believe that this publicity stunt is actually worth the investment. While you are right about competitive fighting game players accounting for 1% of the game's sales or less, the players who may watch or follow the game somewhat regularly comprise a far bigger percentage. If you are aware of the astounding (and unhealthy) amount of time that people, teenagers in particular, spend on social media, you also have to be aware of the fact that there must be a way for fighting game companies to take advantage of this phenomenon.

In other words, even if you are no hardcore fighting game player, watching a million dollar tournament can intrinsically be dramatic and entertaining, which will affect sales.

Imo holding a million-dollar tournament for a game is PR, just like it's been for Call of Duty, DOTA, CS etc. It will attract attention by itself, and if they promote it right, it'll have ripples far outside of the competitive community.

The words "you can win a million dollars" are definitely enough to make some people take a look who wouldn't otherwise.
There is some truth to that althou im pretty sure they can just spent that money on INFLU/SCPR(Twitch/YT/Social media etc..) campains as it is called now and gain even more traction/sales that way.

Also CoD, DOTA, CS are strictly MP games with far greater online following than any MK game, it's like comparing apples to oranges.

You accurately describe how NRS executives would respond if someone made this suggestion in a board meeting. Any Mortal Kombat game will sell 10-15 million copies without the company having to award one million dollars to the winner of a major tournament.

Nonetheless, I believe that this publicity stunt is actually worth the investment. While you are right about competitive fighting game players accounting for 1% of the game's sales or less, the players who may watch or follow the game somewhat regularly comprise a far bigger percentage. If you are aware of the astounding (and unhealthy) amount of time that people, teenagers in particular, spend on social media, you also have to be aware of the fact that there must be a way for fighting game companies to take advantage of this phenomenon.

In other words, even if you are no hardcore fighting game player, watching a million dollar tournament can intrinsically be dramatic and entertaining, which will affect sales.
While i(mostly) agree with you i've been many times in meetings with execs at work and even with folks from Microsoft and the story is always the same - why? When you can invest that money into something else and have better return. At least that's how it's seen by them.

I may be wrong and WB is a different company now and will go Capcom route(good for them if they do) but i remain sceptical. Like always, time will tell.

I believe that all the recent turmoil at WB will put the kibosh on a lot of things. There was no doubt MK11 was the 1st steps into a larger competitive esports scene with the more footsy approach, slower release schedule and longer support. Then WB got bought and sold 3 times and had the entire entertainment division also got sold twice in addition to that, and the entertainment division fought off a hostile take over. I doubt there will be much ongoing money spent on esports, as the entire company almost folded last year. I mean they have withdrawn millions in support already, lost IP rights, entire game and film studios have been sold to compeditors and more. There is a reason NRS is so quiet and it is all about what is happening above them.
Since there isn't much that WB/MK can do in this regard, I'm a little skeptical of them. I think receiving a reward means the team's efforts have been successful. This provides better motivation for the following seasons. This also clearly shows this year's success.

Last edited: