What's new

Can't react as fast as I should to lows and overheads

Back in SFIV I was pretty good at hit confirming and punishing fireballs on reaction, leading me to believe I have decent reflexes. I did a reaction speed test right now and ended up with 290ms, which is alright. But the thing is, I feel like there's some delay that makes me get hit by stuff I blocked in time. Like Scorpion's f4 overhead. Obviously I can block it just fine on reaction if I set the AI to doing only that, but when I record it mixed with lows, I get hit by it. Essentially, I have three questions:

1. I think I know the answer to this one, but anyway: Is there a delay between letting go of down and effectively blocking overheads?

2. I'm playing with a wireless (Elite) One controller. Does that affect input delay? Should I have the charger plugged in?

3. How important is your TV in this regard? Considering buying a monitor if it makes a big difference.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, by the way.

Empire-

Noob
i don't think playing with a wireless (Elite) One controller will have an impact on the input delay unless there is an actual problem with the controller (such as button jams)

Also, monitors can affect gaming performance. While most monitors have pretty low delays, some don't - a monitor with delays too high definitely puts you at a disadvantage in fast-paced games where reaction speed in crucial, such as FPS, fighting games, beat games, etc. General wisdom is that you want a 5ms or less monitor, though of course televisions (which many people use for gaming) often have much higher delays than that.

Last edited:

thlityoursloat

kick kick
I play on a large TV WITH further image processing (not games mode) so my input delay is AWFUL, needless to say I get hit by shit like Mileena's f3 far more than I should.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
1. I think I know the answer to this one, but anyway: Is there a delay between letting go of down and effectively blocking overheads?

2. I'm playing with a wireless (Elite) One controller. Does that affect input delay? Should I have the charger plugged in?

3. How important is your TV in this regard? Considering buying a monitor if it makes a big difference.

1. No, it's instant. The problem lies to the input and response lag at your TV.
2. You'd better play with wired controller, because it'll have less lag than the wireless. The wireless is infamous of being the root of the lag.
3. Very important. Most of the certain monitor models do have lower input and response lag. Try the DisplayLag to find the monitor you want to buy solely for the fighting games. The TV is infamous to have greater lag than the monitor itself. As you have seen, ALL of the tournies DO have such monitors with LESS input and response lag.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
plz read his topic
I already did read his OP. His problem isn't gameplay-wise. Even a kid would insta-block any move. I noticed that he has a problem with his lag, and thanks to this he might have a hard time responding accordingly. :/

Hidan

Where the hell is Reiko's wheel kick
I already did read his OP. His problem isn't gameplay-wise. Even a kid would insta-block any move. I noticed that he has a problem with his lag, and thanks to this he might have a hard time responding accordingly. :/
i didnt say OP, I said "his topic" meaning M.D. the guy you replied to

Thanks for the responses, people! I'll look into getting a good monitor. Does anyone know if having the charger plugged in will get rid of the input lag for a wireless controller?

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Get a 1MS computer monitor (BenQ is beast, they're on sale on amazon right now). If you play on PC, I would suggest connecting your controller via bluetooth as they're in fact quicker than the wired 2.0 or 3.0 usb ports. PS4 controllers are better IMO, but go with what you're used to. I find it hard to run cancel with xbox controllers, but that's my issue :p

If you don`t have the budget for getting a 300$ monitor, then there is probably an option on your tv that reduces input lag (game mode) but it's still more ms than monitors.

Get a 1MS computer monitor (BenQ is beast, they're on sale on amazon right now). If you play on PC, I would suggest connecting your controller via bluetooth as they're in fact quicker than the wired 2.0 or 3.0 usb ports. PS4 controllers are better IMO, but go with what you're used to. I find it hard to run cancel with xbox controllers, but that's my issue :p

If you don`t have the budget for getting a 300$ monitor, then there is probably an option on your tv that reduces input lag (game mode) but it's still more ms than monitors.
Thanks for the tip! Is this the offer you're referring to?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007HSKSMI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478808914&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=benq+gaming+monitor&dpPl=1&dpID=41EP0Tr6C5L&ref=plSrch

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Yup! you play on PC? If you play on console I hope you can get close to the monitor.

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
Back in SFIV I was pretty good at hit confirming and punishing fireballs on reaction, leading me to believe I have decent reflexes. I did a reaction speed test right now and ended up with 290ms, which is alright. But the thing is, I feel like there's some delay that makes me get hit by stuff I blocked in time. Like Scorpion's f4 overhead. Obviously I can block it just fine on reaction if I set the AI to doing only that, but when I record it mixed with lows, I get hit by it. Essentially, I have three questions:

If you are playing on a TV, you will not even react on 40 frames move! Get your self a gaming monitor! No exeptions!

CL_ZBFD

Sr Saurio
Like someone said above try also the gaming setting. For Samsung tvs it under the general category in menu. Game mode. For LG tvs it's easier as it's one of the overall visual settings. That helps a lot but of course monitors with low lag are better.