What's new

Tech - Dragons Fire Cancelling (Instant) Air Fireball Recovery Frames With Another Fireball

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
So I'm no Liu Kang main, but I was in the lab and I was testing Liu's zoning capabilities and trying to see if I could buffer low fireball to come out as soon as possible when falling from an instant-air fireball. Then I realised that it combo'd from full screen (14%, and unbreakable may I add! The same damage as an EX fireball). I was a little confused but managed to do it a few times and it was as if I was cancelling the recovery frames of Liu falling with the low fireball. Perhaps that's not really what's happening here, I'm no expert, but that's the best theory I can really come up with. Either that or Liu's so close to the ground that him actually landing makes it so there's virtually no recovery or... or something, I'm not sure. It seemed really odd to me so I figured I'd try and muster up some courage to make a thread and ask. Liu can do this on block too but I don't have footage of that.

Excuse the mashing of BF3 in the inputs - I couldn't replicate the results when I was trying to do it so I mashed lol.

@xarakamaka
@YOMI Zyphox
@Phosferrax
@YOMI REO (I know you don't play Liu (or do you?) but I know you're really good with the theory & mechanics etc. of NRS games)
@FOREVER EL1TE
@Jer (get ready man :p )
@Tom Brady
@AnyoneWhoPlayedHatesOrHasLabbedLiuBefore

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Interesting. Tanya's air dash (yes it's a dash, stop calling it a teleport, becuase it's not) recovery on landing can also be canceled with normals or specials. All aerial specials should be tested on this.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
I'm
So I'm no Liu Kang main, but I was in the lab and I was testing Liu's zoning capabilities and trying to see if I could buffer low fireball to come out as soon as possible when falling from an instant-air fireball. Then I realised that it combo'd from full screen (14%, and unbreakable may I add! The same damage as an EX fireball). I was a little confused but managed to do it a few times and it was as if I was cancelling the recovery frames of Liu falling with the low fireball. Perhaps that's not really what's happening here, I'm no expert, but that's the best theory I can really come up with. Either that or Liu's so close to the ground that him actually landing makes it so there's virtually no recovery or... or something, I'm not sure. It seemed really odd to me so I figured I'd try and muster up some courage to make a thread and ask. Liu can do this on block too but I don't have footage of that.

Excuse the mashing of BF3 in the inputs - I couldn't replicate the results when I was trying to do it so I mashed lol.

@xarakamaka
@YOMI Zyphox
@Phosferrax
@YOMI REO (I know you don't play Liu (or do you?) but I know you're really good with the theory & mechanics etc. of NRS games)
@FOREVER EL1TE
@Jer (get ready man :p )
@Tom Brady
@AnyoneWhoPlayedHatesOrHasLabbedLiuBefore
Pretty sure this is a similar principle to how he can do a low fireball, then an IAFB then run in and get a full combo. While the opponent is in hitstun Liu recovers from IAFBs quicker it seems. Sadly this was already known, I'm sure Reo made a video about it really early in the games life but it never got changed.

Scott The Scot

I'm

Pretty sure this is a similar principle to how he can do a low fireball, then an IAFB then run in and get a full combo. While the opponent is in hitstun Liu recovers from IAFBs quicker it seems. Sadly this was already known, I'm sure Reo made a video about it really early in the games life but it never got changed.
Good to know, I never caught it! Oh well, I tried.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Lol I approve of this.

I just saw your gamertag. By any chance did you used to wreck absolute havok
on MK9 on XBL with Kabal? If you did I f***ing remember you. F*** you :p
Right towards the end of 2014 when the game had already died? Yeah haha, I had the game since launch but didn't get good or even know about the competitive scene till towards the end of the game unfortunately. It was an amazing game despite its quirks.

Scott The Scot

Right towards the end of 2014 when the game had already died? Yeah haha, I had the game since launch but didn't get good or even know about the competitive scene till towards the end of the game unfortunately. It was an amazing game despite its quirks.
Ahh I don't remember it was a while back now, but you helped me learn the Kabal MU that's all I remember. I think. Unelss it's an Imposter or something :p

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Ahh I don't remember it was a while back now, but you helped me learn the Kabal MU that's all I remember. I think. Unelss it's an Imposter or something :p
I did play it during 2011 but I sucked. I came back in early 2013 and actually started getting better so it probably was me, it took me a while to get the hang of Kabal though; Reptile was my first main hence the name :p Who did you main?

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
I did play it during 2011 but I sucked. I came back in early 2013 and actually started getting better so it probably was me, it took me a while to get the hang of Kabal though; Reptile was my first main hence the name :p Who did you main?
Off topic but didn't you play SCV too? I'm gonna throw this out there....Sieg main?

Scott The Scot

Where there is Smoke, there is not Cancer, but beautiful flowing locks of grey hair. Smoke's my man! Resets for days. You may call me a scum bag if you must, buuuuut whatever man. I love him.